Corrugated top prices? Looking to buy and need help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

red66toy

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hey all,
So my 65 FJ40 is a FST model. But as I am going to be bringing it to Seattle in the next few months I have been thinking of going with a hardtop for it for obvious reasons. I have been looking into early corrugated tops as those are period correct and I like their style. I wanted all your expert opinions on their general worth? I know this can vary across the country. Trying to be as educated as possible as I hunt for one.
Any critical items/issues with these early tops I should pay particular attention to?

rust obviously.
the fiberglass is bigger on corrugated tops than the later tops, so they are not interchangeable.
many times corner windows are added.
bi-fold door hardware is tough to find along with the weather strip
I've seen bi-fold doors with both doors having windows and only the top door with a window and the lower having a plate in it.

rust obviously.
the fiberglass is bigger on corrugated tops than the later tops, so they are not interchangeable.
many times corner windows are added.
bi-fold door hardware is tough to find along with the weather strip
I've seen bi-fold doors with both doors having windows and only the top door with a window and the lower having a plate in it.
Thanks for the advice! Good points to look out for. Didn't know that about the fiberglass top not being the same as later ones. Very good to know when looking.

Didn't know that about the fiberglass top not being the same as later ones. Very good to know when looking.

the corrugated side panels are vertical the later ones lean in slightly at the top so the fiberglass top is wider.
that's also why the 40 corner windows don't look right in a corrugated top, but 45 windows look better.

the corrugated side panels are vertical the later ones lean in slightly at the top so the fiberglass top is wider.
that's also why the 40 corner windows don't look right in a corrugated top, but 45 windows look better.
Interesting!

Make sure you get a short post top. there was a tall post and short post version. there's some info in this thread and pics of the taper issue that you would run into putting a later fiberglass on corrugated side panels.
FJ25 Hardtop for my 1975 FJ40...

too bad you're not closer...i have an early fiberglass in sad condition, but they are hard to find.

I have rust free early fj25 top here in Indiana. The fiberglass is cracked on the roof and needs repaired. The side panels and bi-fold doors are in perfect rust free condition from Arizona.

I have rust free early fj25 top here in Indiana. The fiberglass is cracked on the roof and needs repaired. The side panels and bi-fold doors are in perfect rust free condition from Arizona.
Thanks, sent you a PM.

Make sure you get a short post top. there was a tall post and short post version. there's some info in this thread and pics of the taper issue that you would run into putting a later fiberglass on corrugated side panels.

too bad you're not closer...i have an early fiberglass in sad condition, but they are hard to find.
Thanks for the info!

You're in, or will be in Seattle, look at these in Bellingham:

1966 Toyota FJ40 Hard Top with Door

Shipping costs are nice to avoid. Not mine.

Yeah I do live in Seattle but the 40 is stuck in CA until I can get it road ready. Currently collecting parts to make that happen.
I did see that ad and that is was instigated this thread actually. Wasn’t sure what a realistic price for a top was and what to look for.

completely forgot about the short post and long post version.
side question, an old 63 I had many years ago had a rear roof vent, and others I've seen had it also
the hardtop mentioned above doesn't have the vent
was the vent a difference in long and short post versions?

The vent may have been slicked off. Which may not be a bad thing, they were flimsy, leaked, rusted easy, and are hard to find.
You get doors with that sale, and if the stuff is half decent, I'd say jump on it.

The vent may have been slicked off. Which may not be a bad thing, they were flimsy, leaked, rusted easy, and are hard to find.
You get doors with that sale, and if the stuff is half decent, I'd say jump on it.
I believe it’s just the top and the rear door. I am hoping to try and squeeze in a drive up there to take a look

Well I kind of wrote off the whole hardtop idea for a couple days. I personally didn't feel that top was worth the 1k asking price, and I just didn't have time for the 3hr round trip to check it out.
Well out of the blue I was alerted to someone very close to me selling a pair of early hardtop side pieces. They are in pretty good condition and were very cheap. The seller is hoping to find the rear folding door as well (fingers crossed). So I jumped on it. Figured I either find the rest of the parts and go with a hardtop, or not and just fall back to the OE soft top configuration.
45707993175_2c033235fe_c.jpg

Lets see where this goes.

Good find, looks like the Tall post top, you can graft a piece from some beater sides to make them work. Or the person that you got the sides might have saved the posts. Yes we used to cut them off. HTH, John

Well the fiberglass top, specific to these years is the hardest part to find. I know only of one for sale, and it's in Bellingham.. ;)

Reviving this old thread @red66toy Did you ever install this top? I have been redoing mine over the last couple of weeks. new gaskets and such. I am hoping to put a new headliner in soon too. I think the fiber glass part on mine was replaced with one from 1971. (I think this because it has a date written on the under side)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom