Engine mounts to frame mounts Q’s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday, I ripped the old Chevy 6 out of my LV. I have a nice running, period correct F with sd40 ready to go.
The LV has welded in mounts from that Chevy 6. The two flat OEM mounts are still there. However, the front two are gone. I have a junk 1979 fj40 frame with those frame mounts. These are riveted in. I trust that I just grind down the outer rivet head and drill though and these come off?
Then comes how to install onto the LV frame. Can I use quality strength bolts and nuts to attach? Or, weld around the perimeter of the mounts against the frame?

Daniel, I just did this on a 40. Mounts were gone due to a sbc conversion. Removed some mounts off a frame I have here. Those rivets are no joke, they are on there. Grind the head off until you can see an outline and then punch and big hammer! I bolted the new ones in and would work fine, But welding would be advised for extra strength!

Jack/Brian- Thx. Yeah. These are in there pretty good. I did get one punched out so far. No doubt welding is the best option. I’ll let you know what I do.

Carnage. Makes it even more pleasurable out in this Alabama sun….

image.jpg

image.jpg

Started chipping away at the LV. Removed Chevy motor. Broke or removed body mounts. Hopefully get these new mounts and healthy F/3sp in.

image.jpg

And finally got the second mount off. What a PITA!

Last edited:
Still chipping away at the LV. Started installing an OME kit today. Also, decided to use some 1979 FJ40 axles that I was going to use on another project. This LV’s trans tunnel was cut for a 3 speed. So I’m going to use a 1979 FJ40 four speed and xfer from that same parts rig. Hoping that 3:70’s, healthy F, four speed, and 33’s with OME lift will be a good setup.

I removed the rear cover on the rear axle so that I could slide the inner axles out and put in new brake hardware (thx @wngrog ).

6FE408A2-D305-4971-BC6C-55E3F30EF72D.jpeg

6DA53C26-2356-4D2C-8E4C-97598F9A705C.jpeg

CB2AAA72-D971-4F61-8F0B-C83A3D5C57A3.jpeg

Daniel I think you will be happy with that combination. I’m glad to see you’re keeping the LV. What is the other car in your shop?

Working on this 3:70 rear axle.
I had to remove the two C clips so that I could slide the inner axles out. I then added the already put together back plate / wheel cylinders/ hardware. Now, I’m sliding the inner axles back in and wondering if this is all of the hardware that I retrieved from the diff cavity when I tore it down. I’m fearful there are two of these vs one? Maybe not. Someone help me with my comfort level…

image.jpg

6B456F8A-CAC2-4E6D-B5B7-B9941284F71A.jpeg

EFA246C4-C73A-40A6-AAFF-4C20516AEAFB.jpeg

8C730910-42CE-48E7-AFE0-5EE179C34893.jpeg

Also while I’m thinking about it. I think all wheel cylinders are different. Right/Left and front/back. Since these cylinders were already on the plate, I now have figure out if I got these on right before buttoning her back up. Suggestions?

Glad to see I’m not the only one that works in his flip flops :) I’ve regretted that a few times but haven’t learned my lesson! Looks like this is turning into a build thread - subscribed!! 👍🏻
Build thread might be inaccurate. But hopefully I can get her back together and rolling down a trail like she was designed for.

She’s rough. But I still get good vibes when I see her.

Just cleaning up shop a bit. Got distracted and put this together as a wall hanger. Mine being a ‘64 would be without emblems. I still might put them on.

EFC3A6E0-3A86-49C8-925A-FC2E50F1F0B5.jpeg

I don’t believe so. My ‘64 has no holes for any emblems. Brian @whitey45 schooled me on this a few years ago.

537F0F68-E23E-4D39-82A2-4D49C403C954.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom