Uneven rear springs LC200 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone. Got my suspension installed and the car is sitting about an inch higher on the driver side Vs the passenger. The rear Dobinsons springs were not identical in height. Shop placed the taller spring on the driver side. To me it would make sense to place it on the passenger (gas tank side). It’s a competent shop but I didn’t get a good feeling when I asked if if they had pulled both factory springs out at the same time and compared which side had the taller spring.

Anyone know which side should have the taller rear spring on a USA model Landcruiser 200? Photo to show the difference in height

7ACB6BE5-2E59-43C8-BB6C-F452F32976AC.jpeg

Toyota dealer installed mine the same way (taller on drivers side per instrutions) and I had a lean. I swapped my rear springs myself and it sits nice and level. I tried several other things before figuring this out:

See here:

Last edited:
Taller spring goes on the passenger side. to offset fuel tank weight.

Also, just a note, some AUS companies have instructions that state the longer spring goes on the drivers side, but in AUS the driver is on the right side of the truck. Gets confusing.

Last edited:
Toyota dealer installed mine the same way (taller on drivers side per instrutions) and I had a lean. I swapped my rear springs myself and it sits nice and level. I tried several other things before figuring this out:

See here:
Hi, thank you very much for the quick reply. I read your story and just want to clarify since your last paragraph states the opposite of what you just mentioned.

You had the taller spring on the driver side which caused a lean. So you swapped the taller spring to the passenger (right side) with gas tank and it’s corrected it?

CBCF285E-A62E-4A84-AC3D-0803C39678C8.jpeg

Taller spring goes on the passenger side. to offset fuel tank weight.

Also, just a note, some AUS companies have instructions that state the longer spring goes on the drivers side, but in AUS the driver is on the right side of the truck. Gets confusing.
This makes sense. It has been really confusing. Mix in the potential of KDSS lean as a variable this isn’t as straight forwRd as I hoped. Thank you for the response.

I'm sorry, that is confusing. I wrote that backwards (I went back and edited it). I just crawled under my truck to check. B spring is on the drivers side. A on the passenger. I beleive in the BP51 Install instructions it says to put A on the drivers side, so the dealer that installed my lift did so ( on LH side). However, Drivers side in Australia is RH, not Left. So I swapped A to passenger side, B to drivers and now it sits level.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, that is confusing. I wrote that backwards (I went back and edited it). I just crawled under my truck to check. B spring is on the drivers side. A on the passenger. I beleive in the BP51 Install instructions it says to put A on the drivers side, so the dealer that installed my lift did so ( on LH side). However, Drivers side in Australia is RH, not Left. So I swapped A to passenger side, B to drivers and now it sits level.

I know some people on the board have them installed A on drivers and B on passenger with no lean but that did not work for me.
Thanks for clarifying 🙏

you bet. The post I linked to was long winded. Looks like even I got lost in my own words when I wrote it. Should have just given you cliff notes like @CharlieS did.🤣
Hahaha. It’s ok. Still learned some things from it. Always verify Australian instructions when things are spec’d right and left !

I recently installed the Dobinsons C59-535 springs on the LC. I don't remember comparing size between the two and probably should have but mine came with stickers/labels to differentiate Left and Right sided coils. So I just installed them according to the labels and it sits damn near perfect and level on both sides.

Well here’s a new update. Shop that installed my springs insists they put the longer spring on the driver side to match the configuration of the stock springs. Longer on left (Driver side). It was sitting an inch high on driver side. **not the side where the gas tank is.

I dropped my car off at another shop for spindle gussets and cam tab guards.
They leveled the car’s KDSS and it now sits about a 1/4 from level 🤷🏾‍♂️
6134B1AF-3509-42F1-B35B-75E96C95E461.jpeg

Well here’s a new update. Shop that installed my springs insists they put the longer spring on the driver side to match the configuration of the stock springs. Longer on left (Driver side). It was sitting an inch high on driver side. **not the side where the gas tank is.

I dropped my car off at another shop for spindle gussets and cam tab guards.
View attachment 3146026
Well if it stays level, congrats. My taller spring was most definitely on the gas tank side on my 2013. :-/

I’m getting taller springs next week. I’ll have them installed with the taller one next to the gas tank.
That's how I'd expect it to work, but to be fair if your factory taller spring is on the driver's side, then personally I'd actually do the install the same way. I've not seen that setup in the US though.

For anyone installing new rear springs, I recommend buying a 10mm OME trim packer. They're about $20, and if you find you're leaning less than an inch you can install it on the lower side to get yourself within spec. If you're leaning more than an inch, swap your rear springs. Toyota says a lean of 15mm or less is within spec, so if you're less than 1/2" of lean then no need to add it. The only annoying thing is the spring needs to come out as the trim packer fits between the top of the spring and the lip of the internal jounce stop, so you have to put everything back together before you know whether you need to install it.

How did they level the kdss? Simple balance-screw open/close or did they do the block of wood trick?

How did they level the kdss? Simple balance-screw open/close or did they do the block of wood trick?
When I did my lift one side was wayyy off. I just made sure I was on level ground and *barely* cracked that KDSS screw and it immediately "leveled". That was months ago, a trip to Colorado ago, and still golden.

When I did my lift one side was wayyy off. I just made sure I was on level ground and *barely* cracked that KDSS screw and it immediately "leveled". That was months ago, a trip to Colorado ago, and still golden.
That is what I’m hoping they did instead of the block of wood bandaid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom