Pulled the trigger on a new set of globes… have you? (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Edit: new globes made the ride worse, old globes back on and flushed, still rough ride: technical data starts page 2 if anyone has thoughts or ideas to help. Thanks

Just bought a new set of globes for the 13LX, assuming they are probably ready to go based off the time and the condition the fluid was in at a 60k flush. Ride is a little harsh and figured this will be a good baseline move. Paid $530 shipped from over seas. For those who have swapped out new globes. Did the ride improve as you would have thought? When I go over bumps, I get a reverb, is the best way to describe it. Tires balanced well, correct psi, it’s not terrible but I don’t think it’s “Lexus” quality feel. I’m thinking one or more of the globes have leaked out their nitrogen and are getting the bounce effect rather then the dampening. Also I don’t notice much change if any between the sport/comfort switches. I do notice the steering tighten but nothing dampening wise.

Last edited:
I just bought a set too. I have a 2008 with 120k on the clock. The ride is good, but I know it’s on borrowed time.

I just bought a set too. I have a 2008 with 120k on the clock. The ride is good, but I know it’s on borrowed time.
At that miles, would can you feel a difference in the shock selection? How about dampening over bumps? I feel like a couple bounces after the bumps, feel like mine are prematurely shot at 64k. I have heard 10 years is usually about the shelf life of the bladder inside. We shall see.

Weird…seeing a lot of globes needing to be replaced at under 150k miles…..yet Teckis300 claims that AHC can lasts 300k miles without needing anything….

I replaced mine…damping is hard to put into words.

Going over a speed hump, I note that the suspension sort of catches the truck and allows it to bounce down and up in a controlled manner…go too fast and even with new globes, it will exceed the cushy damping capability of ahc…the difference in the vehicles ability to catch itself and slowly arrest movement up and down over speed humps was the most stark change. Albeit still somewhat subtle.

Dropping down a curb, same thing.

The difference in damping was comparable to going from around 40 psi in a tire down to 28.

Going down the highway you notice nothing because damping is not occurring much and your old accumulators probably had enough capacity for this. Hit a big enough pot hole at speed and you notice nothing because the dip exceeded the damping capability of the system…go slow enough and even with almost no damping capability in your own globes you notice nothing…but in between speeds of super slow and fast on flats, you’ll notice an improvement that is marked.

If you’re running lt tires at the recommended psi, especially in the 32-33” range, even with brand new globes it’s still going to be a moderately harsh ride.

I went from 40 psi light truck tires (recommended psi) down to 27 psi 33” passsnger rated coopers and the ride improvement is dramatic. Rarely does the damping capability of the rig even come to mind now. The ride is “back to oem” as far as I am concerned…partially also, I believe, because the weight of my tire and wheel package is back within oem specs.

Wheel/tire weight as well as psi matter as it relates to how much energy is going up into your suspension system…and then back down through each bump.

If you want the ultimate ride: 21 lb rock warriors (with no rock ring) and 43 lb cooper 285 70 r17’s at 26 recommended psi…I don’t think it’ll get better than that. 64 lbs on each corner (vs 78-84 oem for an lx570) will be significant imo.

Also, it tools weeks after my globe install before the vehicle would readily drop into low neutral and high…probably because I erred in the bleeding process and it took a while for all the bubbles to make their way out.

If you’ve done accumulators and you have your psi in your tires appropriate and you’re not rolling on 90+ lbs on each corner, and you still haven’t seen a marked improvement then my guess would be you’ve got a bit of air in the ahc system that may make its way out (or you could try bleeding it)

Weird…seeing a lot of globes needing to be replaced at under 150k miles…..yet Teckis300 claims that AHC can lasts 300k miles without needing anything….
Haha I wish, my globes are toast 2013 with 64k on the clock. Lived in southern Florida it’s life so I’m wondering if the heat maybe was an impact too on life span, I guess for $530 to totally refresh, assuming it works, the suspension isn’t too bad. But I can 100% day my globes damper like s***

I replaced mine…damping is hard to put into words.

Going over a speed hump, I note that the suspension sort of catches the truck and allows it to bounce down and up in a controlled manner…go too fast and even with new globes, it will exceed the cushy damping capability of ahc…the difference in the vehicles ability to catch itself and slowly arrest movement up and down over speed humps was the most stark change. Albeit still somewhat subtle.

Dropping down a curb, same thing.

The difference in damping was comparable to going from around 40 psi in a tire down to 28.

Going down the highway you notice nothing because damping is not occurring much and your old accumulators probably had enough capacity for this. Hit a big enough pot hole at speed and you notice nothing because the dip exceeded the damping capability of the system…go slow enough and even with almost no damping capability in your own globes you notice nothing…but in between speeds of super slow and fast on flats, you’ll notice an improvement that is marked.

If you’re running lt tires at the recommended psi, especially in the 32-33” range, even with brand new globes it’s still going to be a moderately harsh ride.

I went from 40 psi light truck tires (recommended psi) down to 27 psi 33” passsnger rated coopers and the ride improvement is dramatic. Rarely does the damping capability of the rig even come to mind now. The ride is “back to oem” as far as I am concerned…partially also, I believe, because the weight of my tire and wheel package is back within oem specs.

Wheel/tire weight as well as psi matter as it relates to how much energy is going up into your suspension system…and then back down through each bump.

If you want the ultimate ride: 21 lb rock warriors (with no rock ring) and 43 lb cooper 285 70 r17’s at 26 recommended psi…I don’t think it’ll get better than that. 64 lbs on each corner (vs 78-84 oem for an lx570) will be significant imo.

Also, it tools weeks after my globe install before the vehicle would readily drop into low neutral and high…probably because I erred in the bleeding process and it took a while for all the bubbles to make their way out.

If you’ve done accumulators and you have your psi in your tires appropriate and you’re not rolling on 90+ lbs on each corner, and you still haven’t seen a marked improvement then my guess would be you’ve got a bit of air in the ahc system that may make its way out (or you could try bleeding it)
I’ve done the bleeding several times over with the system now, 2013, 64k rides like s*** around town. I can verify this cause I went and tested a 2014 today that drove the way a Lexus should. So I’m going to swap globes, buy more ahc fluid, and hope this solves the problem. The truck I tested today also had the same exact tires. What issue did you have bleeding them initially if you remember? It seems pretty straight forward as bleeding the system normally, I’m assuming you would just have to bleed a whole bunch more to flush it all out?

I’ve done the bleeding several times over with the system now, 2013, 64k rides like s*** around town. I can verify this cause I went and tested a 2014 today that drove the way a Lexus should. So I’m going to swap globes, buy more ahc fluid, and hope this solves the problem. The truck I tested today also had the same exact tires. What issue did you have bleeding them initially if you remember? It seems pretty straight forward as bleeding the system normally, I’m assuming you would just have to bleed a whole bunch more to flush it all out?
When bleeding, it seems to come out either looking like foam or sprite…no matter what I did, it would always come out w bubbles of some sort. So I finally decided that the instructions weren’t dumb enough for me and gave up. The ride was definitely improved even though the vehicle would get goofy while changing suspension settings…it would lift itself into high mode and then revert, back on screen, to neutral even though it was def in high mode. Once I put it in low and it reverted back to saying it was in neutral even tho it was def in low. That sucked…it didn’t want to lift no matter what I did for several starts of the vehicle and a bit of driving around.

Mostly I just stopped changing suspension settings for a while. Now it easily goes into high and reads in high. It appears to go into low and read as low…everything seems to function properly. I assume it was just air in the system that slowly worked itself out.

Couldn't agree more.

I ran my P-metric 285/70R17 toyo AT2s at 27 for a while and absolutely would not recommend anyone I care about do the same. Yes the ride is as cushy as can be, but the sidewall just can't hold up to the heft of this truck during dynamic maneuvers.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more.

I ran my P-metric 285/70R17 toyo AT2s at 27 for a while and absolutely would not recommend anyone I care about do the same. Yes the ride is as cushy as can be, but the sidewall just can't hold up to the heft of this truck during dynamic maneuvers.
Truck I test drove had the same Goodyear eagle gt tires I have on mine, but drove a million times better, it has to be the globes I don’t know what else it possibly could be. Truck is rust free, nothing leaking or looks out of place. Just rides like crap around town on all the back roads

Truck I test drove had the same Goodyear eagle gt tires I have on mine, but drove a million times better, it has to be the globes I don’t know what else it possibly could be. Truck is rust free, nothing leaking or looks out of place. Just rides like crap around town on all the back roads
It could be deteriorated bushings. Did you already replace the globes, or are just planning on it?

It could be deteriorated bushings. Did you already replace the globes, or are just planning on it?
Have not replaced yet, which bushings would you be taking about? It feels very much ahc related, or I’m hoping I guess, there’s zero difference in any of the shock adjustment feeling, basing it off of that and the condition the fluid was in when I did the first flush, seemed very contaminated, dark yellow color, very frothy, assuming it had nitrogen in it. Only has 64k on it now

It’s been about 10 years and you suspect the suspension damping is shot. Not a bad idea to “refresh” your damping. It’ll only cost around $500 for new globes on eBay and they’re surprisingly easy to install…very little to lose. I’d pull the trigger if I was you.

My MAIN symptom was…rough ride around time compared to what I thought it should be…I also felt no difference in ride between comfort and sport at the time

It’s been about 10 years and you suspect the suspension damping is shot. Not a bad idea to “refresh” your damping. It’ll only cost around $500 for new globes on eBay and they’re surprisingly easy to install…very little to lose. I’d pull the trigger if I was you.

My MAIN symptom was…rough ride around time compared to what I thought it should be…I also felt no difference in ride between comfort and sport at the time
Gotcha, yea I think I’m heading in the right direction, I just can’t believe the night and day difference on the one I drove today and mine, guess that’s what I get for buying a car 1500 miles away without driving it first. On well

I think a lot of the ride quality complains come from LT tires not worn out AHC accumulators. 20’s with LT tires are like riding on bricks.

I notice a a huge difference in ride quality when I go from my summer 33” LT K02s on 17’s to my 31” Winter Hakka p metrics on 18’s.

I think a lot of the ride quality complains come from LT tires not worn out AHC accumulators. 20’s with LT tires are like riding on bricks.

I notice a a huge difference in ride quality when I go from my summer 33” LT K02s on 17’s to my 31” Winter Hakka p metrics on 18’s.

My ride quality is if the suspension has no dampening, like none at all over bumpy roads. When I did the first flush of fluid it was very frothy. I have to have a ruptured globe or 2, the truck I drove in comparison was a 14 with 20k more miles and it drove the way I would expect this truck to drive. Yes, it’s still a big heavy truck but it actually absorbed the bumps In the road. I’m not sure why he globes would be shot on mine after 64k but it certainly seems that’s the case. I’m right at the 10 year mark but I think it’s more a blow out then the slow leak as the ride is so vastly different from the one I drove yesterday

Madtiger, Teckis300 may be right. I’ve got 338,000+ on original shocks and globes. Everything seems fine. Off road limited to popping curbs at ballparks tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom