Pulled the trigger on a new set of globes… have you? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hope you figure it out. I have a ‘13 as well, had it going on 10 years now. I’m at ~95k miles with 80-90% of those off roading or pulling my ~7k lb camper 100% on crappy Alaska roads. It rids like butter on my winter P metric Hakkas, more brick like on my summer LT Ats. I’ve had no issues with the AHC and plan on keeping it a long time, probably will be my last non-EV (have 2 Teslas and a reservation on a Cybertruck, Rivian, and Silverado EV)
Me too man, if not I’ll be in the looney bin, I’m pretty mechanical and have owned nothing hit yota
Why is this guy bringing this garbage into the thread? Nothing helpful. Is this the MUD spirit? Where’s the ban hammer??

:popcorn:
Yea I kinda agree, I mean it keeps the thread at the top but contributes nothing to it? Oh well, we’ll figure this out MUD don’t you worry

There’s a block/censor button I think. If you don’t block people you find annoying, you’re acting as though you want to be annoyed, which isn’t ideal. Not that blocking or censoring is ideal-ideally you only care about things that people you respect say.

Why is this guy bringing this garbage into the thread? Nothing helpful. Is this the MUD spirit? Where’s the ban hammer??

:popcorn:

Every forum has one and he's our resident clown. I've banned him long ago which filters my post visibility to him, yet he trolls and has to actively look for the posts. Please excuse my rudeness that is directed solely at him.

Annoying update of the day, not much news other then some visual inspection, jacked the front wheels up and no play up or down or side to side, no play in ball joints when moving the tire up and down. However I’m just visually looking at the truck and using a level it appears the tires do have negative camber where they are pointing inward toward the top of the car. I’m going to be scheduling an alignment and curious to if the negative camber could be the issue of the ride quality. Does anyone have good specs for a proper alignment on an LX? Assuming the truck needs to be in neutral level when aligned.

Rotate and balance the tires and get it aligned. A good shop has the specs don’t over think it.

Alignment Monday am, wheels were already balanced with road force balance that for rid of highway vibration luckily

Update to this issue, I cleared some space in my garage to get the truck in there, only level ground I could find, did the height calibration, adjusted all the shocks to be in spec, then did the YAW sensor reset, got an alignment and the truck drives amazing now. Feel like the suspension is dampening as it should. Handles well, tracks true. Something must have been out of whack bad before but I appreciate all the ideas in the thread and input from the community. Pain in the ass for sure but made a huge difference in the ride.

I replaced mine…damping is hard to put into words.

Going over a speed hump, I note that the suspension sort of catches the truck and allows it to bounce down and up in a controlled manner…go too fast and even with new globes, it will exceed the cushy damping capability of ahc…the difference in the vehicles ability to catch itself and slowly arrest movement up and down over speed humps was the most stark change. Albeit still somewhat subtle.

Dropping down a curb, same thing.

The difference in damping was comparable to going from around 40 psi in a tire down to 28.

Going down the highway you notice nothing because damping is not occurring much and your old accumulators probably had enough capacity for this. Hit a big enough pot hole at speed and you notice nothing because the dip exceeded the damping capability of the system…go slow enough and even with almost no damping capability in your own globes you notice nothing…but in between speeds of super slow and fast on flats, you’ll notice an improvement that is marked.

If you’re running lt tires at the recommended psi, especially in the 32-33” range, even with brand new globes it’s still going to be a moderately harsh ride.

I went from 40 psi light truck tires (recommended psi) down to 27 psi 33” passsnger rated coopers and the ride improvement is dramatic. Rarely does the damping capability of the rig even come to mind now. The ride is “back to oem” as far as I am concerned…partially also, I believe, because the weight of my tire and wheel package is back within oem specs.

Wheel/tire weight as well as psi matter as it relates to how much energy is going up into your suspension system…and then back down through each bump.

If you want the ultimate ride: 21 lb rock warriors (with no rock ring) and 43 lb cooper 285 70 r17’s at 26 recommended psi…I don’t think it’ll get better than that. 64 lbs on each corner (vs 78-84 oem for an lx570) will be significant imo.

Also, it tools weeks after my globe install before the vehicle would readily drop into low neutral and high…probably because I erred in the bleeding process and it took a while for all the bubbles to make their way out.

If you’ve done accumulators and you have your psi in your tires appropriate and you’re not rolling on 90+ lbs on each corner, and you still haven’t seen a marked improvement then my guess would be you’ve got a bit of air in the ahc system that may make its way out (or you could try bleeding it)
Regarding your 33" p rated tires... How is the acceleration and does your truck get into 6th gear and stay there?

Update to this issue, I cleared some space in my garage to get the truck in there, only level ground I could find, did the height calibration, adjusted all the shocks to be in spec, then did the YAW sensor reset, got an alignment and the truck drives amazing now. Feel like the suspension is dampening as it should. Handles well, tracks true. Something must have been out of whack bad before but I appreciate all the ideas in the thread and input from the community. Pain in the ass for sure but made a huge difference in the ride.
Nice! But what about the 4-runner?

Nice! But what about the 4-runner?
Not sure, we’ll go look at it, if/when it comes in, not sure they are getting any more 2022’s, we can get our deposit back if we opt out of it. My wife does like the quality of the LX over the 4Runner and the size isn’t too much bigger, but she still thinks it’s a large truck to be driving. The good news is the truck drives great, I’ve been fixing the small things as I go, just ordered new rear lift struts for the hatch. It’s rust free, will be having it sprayed with New Hampshire oil coating in a month, so if she chooses the 4Runner so be it, I hopefully won’t lose a ton on the LX, it’s a rust free relatively low (66k) mile truck that’s here in the north east, and will be protected from the salt this winter. It’s in great shape, just washed and put a nice coat of wax on it for winter, not a single ding anywhere on the truck. We did look at another limited 4Runner and the paint sucked, brand new truck so much orange peel, interior quality all plastic, def a let down compared to this LX, plus heated steering wheel on the lx is a nice touch for the winter.

Regarding your 33" p rated tires... How is the acceleration and does your truck get into 6th gear and stay there?
6th gear and towing is no issue-Toyota actually sold land cruisers w 6 speeds with 285 70 r17 (32.8”) tires on rock warrior wheels from the factory. The wheel weigh package was around 76 lbs…

with my p rated 275 60 r20 (32.9”) tires I’m at 79 lbs per wheel/tire which is also in the range of oem wheel weights for lx’s of these years.

I think 27 psi gets them to the minimum load requirements…which actually works out to around 29-30 by the time the sun comes up and I start driving…and then while driving they get to around 32-33 psi…so it feels basically the same as it did with oem tires on the first test drive. Very comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom