2nd set of wheels tmps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased my first upgrade for my new 2017 LX. 5 Method wheels with +35 offset and 5 kenda 35x10.5 tires. When I put on my wheels I want to invest in tmps sensors so I dont have dash lights on. Can someone point me in the direction of a thread or what I need to buy to make tpms sensors.

A little more research and I found out the stock part is Denso 5500103. Looks like I can buy those and then when I make the swap ill have to program them into the computer. Maybe use a snap on tool to speak to the ecu.

Thank you

Last edited:
I think pretty much any place that installs tires can program new sensors. On my LC, I can only have one set programmed at a time. Use a google search for tpms on Mud and you’ll get lots of threads.

I think pretty much any place that installs tires can program new sensors. On my LC, I can only have one set programmed at a time. Use a google search for tpms on Mud and you’ll get lots of threads.

I mount and balance all my own tires. Ill do a search looks like there are a few options.

VCX Nano cable and techstream software, or a Carista Bluetooth module and temporary pro subscription to their software.

The 2017+ uses a different sensor. The other thread say you need to activate it. ( not sure if that’s the same as writing the ID to ecu. Normally a job for tech steam. )
The Autel is supposed to be able to write to ECU on the tricky newer year Lexus

I would place the sensors in the wheel well and try to write them first. That should let you know if it gets written successfully or not.

I have used Autel MX Sensors for years with their programming pad. I have my winter and AT tires programmed with the same sensor ID's so I can swap them back and forth without having to do any other programming.

During one of the sales I bought Toyota OEM TPMS they needed no programming.
This is not correct. The sensors themselves don’t need programming, but the vehicle must have the new sensor IDs programmed in or it will display an error and no pressures.

I would place the sensors in the wheel well and try to write them first. That should let you know if it gets written successfully or not.

They would need to be activated first, and when installed that requires bringing the tire to pressure, bleeding back down to zero, then inflating again.

That would be tough to do before they’ve been installed.

I've used Techstream with the VXDiag (the cheap cables don't work) Carista, but the easiest is a Launch brand CRT5011 programmer. A BF special on Amazon had it for about $100 when I bought but looks like it is around $200 now. It reads IDs and programs oem sensors and some aftermarkets (I have OEM/Pacific/Densos) and can clear trouble codes. I keep it in my LC at all times.

Last edited:
They would need to be activated first, and when installed that requires bringing the tire to pressure, bleeding back down to zero, then inflating again.

That would be tough to do before they’ve been installed.
Maybe the trigger function of TPMS tool can wake them? If not then the denso is kind of a pita. I would install one sensor first on one tire and try writing to ECU. The idea is not to mount and balance all 4 then find out it doesn’t work. Which has happened to me before. Unless OP has a high end machine with assist arms, it is back breaking work to take it off and on.

I think an alternative is to use the autel MX sensors on all. Either clone them or write to ECU. They are quite good and I was told it works on 2016+.

Maybe the trigger function of TPMS tool can wake them? If not then the denso is kind of a pita. I would install one sensor first on one tire and try writing to ECU. The idea is not to mount and balance all 4 then find out it doesn’t work. Which has happened to me before. Unless OP has a high end machine with assist arms, it is back breaking work to take it off and on.

I think an alternative is to use the autel MX sensors on all. Either clone them or write to ECU. They are quite good and I was told it works on 2016+.

No, the trigger function can’t. That’s why discount tire was utterly useless trying to get mine working, that process is all they knew. They didn’t bother reading the bright red tag attached to each new sensor that outlines the process.

And why is it a pita? The sensors will get installed into a tire eventually.. just fill it, bleed it, fill it. Whatever pacific is doing they have their reasons. I’d even argue this is simpler, as you don’t need an external tool to activate them, just the tool to program the IDs which every Toyota shop has anyway (techstream)

And, you have superior longevity and quality to autel or the other Chinese sensors.

IMO the smart play is buy one of the official Toyota sensors to get the PI number off of it, then buy the rest boxed as Denso/PI.

Last edited:
I bought the method wheels with the bead thingy also, my understanding is it’s a hassle to dismount.

I want to do it once and be done.

My Autel says for a 2015+ LX this is the sensor to use.
For the 2017 you should have less concerns about cut-off dates. You can also break the bead and look at your working one.

The instructions on the tool didn't say anything special about programming it, use the trigger to read all 4 and write it, which fairly generic.
If trigger doesn't work or program does not work (it would fail without giving much meaningful reasons) then maybe you can combine the air-down to wake/activate them with any information comes with your sensors.

The reason programming can fail, I'm guessing it needs to check for the sensors are online and transmitting in each wheel well and is the ID you are telling it to write, perhaps also expected to have with correct pressure.

It is possible the OEM sensors first need waking up either by rapid change in pressure, or driving. For example the OEMs doesn't start to show the pressures on the vehicle screen until driving for a few minutes. Extrapolating that, it could mean instead of airing down and up, you could also drive it some before programming, at some point the tool should be able to scan/trigger the IDs that will let you write to the ECU. But the car may start flagging TPMS missing fault before you re-program it.

I think you would need to get Autel Tool or equivalent if you want to do all this yourself.

1704675899338.png

The reason programming can fail, I'm guessing it needs to check for the sensors are online and transmitting in each wheel well and is the ID you are telling it to write, perhaps also expected to have with correct pressure.

With techstream at least, there is no requirement that the sensor be activated before programming the car. It just won’t work once everything is turned on if the IDs it looks for aren’t what is transmitted.

It is possible the OEM sensors first need waking up either by rapid change in pressure, or driving. For example the OEMs doesn't start to show the pressures on the vehicle screen until driving for a few minutes. Extrapolating that, it could mean instead of airing down and up, you could also drive it some before programming, at some point the tool should be able to scan/trigger the IDs that will let you write to the ECU. But the car may start flagging TPMS missing fault before you re-program it.

A pressure change is needed, it’s literally written on a red tag that comes with each sensor. There is no mention of driving being a way to activate the sensors.

A pressure change is needed, it’s literally written on a red tag that comes with each sensor. There is no mention of driving being a way to activate the sensors.

At what point in the process do you need to do this? Is it just done once to put the sensors into operation?

At what point in the process do you need to do this? Is it just done once to put the sensors into operation?
Yes, before they will transmit anything.

The vehicle can have the IDs programmed in beforehand if that’s more convenient, but you’ll get a TPMS error until the sensors are in operation and transmitting on those IDs.

Thanks for all the reply's. I can come back to this thread down the road. Since we will only be using the set up for over land trips I am going to skip putting in the sensors in the wheels. I will deal with the light for these trips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom