Spray paint interior color matches -80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are a lot of brown 80 series parts discontinued or only available in “wrong” colors. I like everything to look as factory original as I can, So, Over the years I’ve had to look around and expirement to get things to match.
There are at least three brown/ tan colors I’ve seen in 80’s over the years: dark brown in the early 80s then the oak and tan in he newer ones.
I’ve tried to find the most commonly available Over the counter color matches for all three. None are perfect but all three are close enough and easy to find at Walmart or localhardware stores.

I wanted a place to have all three colors together for my future reference and For others who as picky like me.

Here’s all three factory colors together.

Last edited:
The most commonly talked about match for oak Is rustoleum hammered bronze 7226. I have used it the most in my cruiser on multiple parts and at least one vender uses it on their products.

Here is rustoleum hammered bronze on a disco cupholder in my 96. Console is factory oak colored.

8F7298A3-71EE-41A6-82AD-781A98425242.jpeg

Last edited:
In newer fzj80s there is tan on the center console lids and door panels as well as some other places. The closest match I’ve found for these tan pieces is rustoleum dark taupe 241238. It also blends in well with my t100s interior. It is close enough you can’t really notice unless you have a tape line like in these photos of my worn out leather console cover.

Last edited:
The older 80 series have a very dark brown interior. For this color I’ve found that rusoleum camoflauge earth brown 1918 is closest. Here is a seat handle I painted with 1918 sitting on a factory brown console lid. Also the same handle mounted on 1994 manual seats. The phones flash makes it seem less of a match but it’s really very close.

Last edited:
Gray options:

SEM 15303 graphite seems to be the popular for the grey interiors. I don’t have any side by side comparison pics.

Here’s a good picture of it on a dash:
1708616663525.jpeg

Here are a few more:

In a 60 series

SEM gray 15183

IMG_3395.jpeg

Last edited:
Did a Delta Vehicle Systems shifter console and center console upgrade on the LS3-80. With the center console came the leather cover option. It comes in raw leather which we figured would be fine but it was enough of a difference from the oak leather that we decided to try and match it.

Now I know very little about working with leather so I contacted someone that knew a whole lot more than I did. He being the local guy who does interiors for hot rods and private planes. The guy’s work is unbelievable.

I called him and asked for a suggestion of where to buy leather dye (since my initial searches came up empty). His response was “why?”

He said that dyeing leather is something that is generally done in large batches when you want to maintain the visual grain structure. He said that for something tiny like a center console cover he just uses SEM paint. A paint!? A paint.

Off to the local professional auto body paint supply where, as it turns out, they carry every single variation of SEM colors that are offered. It was a gold mine.

Started with the “vinyl” prep and finished it off with SEM 15893 Med. Prairie Tan. It was a near perfect match.

First console image is raw leather. The other two are post paint. In the images I noticed that the camera doesn’t pic up the color variance the way the human eye does. I think it’s likely because the newly painted piece is more photon reflective and looks “brighter”. It’s not. So I tweaked the color in the photo to give a better idea of the color match to real life.

View attachment 2962924

View attachment 2962925

View attachment 2962926

View attachment 2962927
Another good match for the lighter tan in our cruisers.

Last edited:
SEM monterrey for hard plastics
classic dye products Toyota Oak for leather

For the lighter brown/tan interior plastic there is a SEM aerosal paint, Monterey, IIRC, been discussed, try a search

Edit: beat me to it

Ive seen that SEM Monterey color mentioned often. Sounds like a great candidate but I never did see a good comparison picture. If you have one next to oak please post up.

nice

Last edited:
Ive seen that SEM Monterey color mentioned often. Sounds like a great candidate but I never did see a good comparison picture. If you have one next to oak please post up.
I used the SEM Monterey in my 96' and it was a perfect match. I don't have any comparison pics, but rest assured it is spot on.

tempImageVZxQ7E.jpg

The most commonly talked about match for oak Is rustoleum hammered bronze 7226. I have used it the most in my cruiser on multiple parts and at least one vender uses it on their products.

Here is rustoleum hammered bronze on a disco cupholder in my 96. Console is factory oak colored.

View attachment 1911842
Looks like I will be using this on some sunroof trim pieces. As far as I know, they are only available in grey. Thanks for this.

Looks like I will be using this on some sunroof trim pieces. As far as I know, they are only available in grey. Thanks for this.

I got a set of grey trim pieces as replacements and painted them. The old broken trim pieces I removed were colored more like dark taupe 241238 rather than the darker textured bronze.

I got a set of grey trim pieces as replacements and painted them. The old broken trim pieces I removed were colored more like dark taupe 241238 rather than the darker textured bronze.
Good to know...thanks! I will check it out. I think you are right

While the wife and daughter were sleep, it gave me enough peace and quiet to install the glove box grab bar.

I could only find one in gray.
View attachment 2990724View attachment 2990723View attachment 2990722

Reading through the install thread, most people had issues getting the air duct out of the way. Mine was getting the nut on and tight🔩 behind the console.

Point of no return.
View attachment 2990721View attachment 2990720

IMO it's a pretty good match.
View attachment 2990719View attachment 2990718
Great color example of sem Monterey from the “What did you do with your 80”thread.

Another great comparison of SEM and factory Toyota plastic.
The interior sunroof “garnish“ trim in my 80 was really brittle, cracked in a few places, and made a lot of noise creaking, squeaking, and banging on the sunroof shade. I know some just remove it and it really doesn’t look too bad that way, but I wanted to replace mine. Of course these, along with what seem like ALL oak interior bits, are NLA. However, the grey still is. Part numbers are:
  • 6321960010B6
  • 6363560010B6
  • 6321760010B6
  • 6321860010B6
The next step was to try to paint match them to my broken ones. After reading a lot to find the best match, I bought a can of SEM Classic Coat Ivory 17293 paint, which I believe was made to match a specific Toyota interior color. I prepped the pieces by washing them with Dawn using the scouring side of a sponge, drying, then wiping with iso alcohol.

I used almost the entire can on these parts. It sprays really well and is so much different than “paint”. It’s more of a tint, at least in my experience. It goes on very light, is very forgiving to work with, and quickly dries to the touch. I waited around 5-10 minutes in between coats.

Here are some side by side shots of the old vs new painted parts. It doesn’t exactly match, but it’s really close and who knows how much age and oxidation has changed the original part‘s color. I can’t wait to install and see what it looks like. I’ll post follow-up pics once I do. The painted part is in front. Oh FYI, all in, this was about a $200 venture.

View attachment 3024765

View attachment 3024766

View attachment 3024767

View attachment 3024768

Last edited:
Fyi: SEM Colorcoat Opel Gray is the best match for the light grey headliner trim pieces.
Do you have a picture showing the match?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom