What is your favorite color for factory paint in an 80 Series? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Desert Dune Metallic has really grown on me. I recently removed my fenders and may respray when I figure out the best way to patch the holes left behind.

20230917_184516.jpg

6M1 green for me but I remember seeing a brand new Champagne Coloured 40th Anniv up at Mt Hotham last century and it had a colour coded ARB bar and rear bar.
It really stood out and looked the goods.

Not sure what the code is for that colour but its this below
1697526067001.png

if i were to repaint my cruiser i would go with the cedarwood

1697527004912.png

Nightshadow Pearl!
1697548420997.png

However for years I thought the Medium Red Pearl was my least favorite, but now it would be my 2nd choice and would love to have one with an OEM+ look.

View attachment 3458196

Interesting that white, and medium red are the only two colours available through the entire year range

Unpopular opinion but Antique Sage Pearl > Moonglow.

I am going to repaint my 80. It has a grey interior.

2 Questions

1-What is your favorite factory offered paint color? Bonus points if you post a pic of it.
2-Where is the best place to get high quality OEM Toyota paint colors?
1. Dark Emerald of course. Will work well with your interior. Any other color is inferior:flipoff2:
2. It's amazing no one has even attempted to answer this question. I'm no paint expert, but if I were to guess, I'd say check with your local Toyota dealer. Guaranteed not to be the cheapest option, though.
Recent pic showing color:
IMG_2185 (2).JPG

painting it any other color than the factory choice is bad JuJu. proceed at your own risk.
You need to work on your reading skills. OP never requested any info other than factory paint and colors.

• Dislike
Reactions: ppc
I really like my Desert Dune '97 CE but when I was looking I would have gladly bought a 40th in Antique Sage or, maybe my favorite, Desert Dune over Moonglow. If you want to step gently away from all Moonglow then the two tone might be an option. No idea how the two colors came under the hood, jams, etc. from the factory.

Edit: I would probably go with a PPG product, left to my own devices, but I would let the paint shop supply whatever brand they normally use (assuming you are having someone else paint). All mainstream paint manufacturers (PPG, BASF, etc.) have paint lines at different price points so you can get very good quality regardless as long as you are willing to pay for the quality.

If you're painting it yourself then I would decide on the paint I wanted to spray and then find a retail outlet. Not as easy these days as it used to be.

Last edited:
1. Dark Emerald of course. Will work well with your interior. Any other color is inferior:flipoff2:
2. It's amazing no one has even attempted to answer this question. I'm no paint expert, but if I were to guess, I'd say check with your local Toyota dealer. Guaranteed not to be the cheapest option, though.
Recent pic showing color:
View attachment 3458396

You need to work on your reading skills. OP never requested any info other than factory paint and colors.
You need to pull your head out or your arse. I silmply warned him that choosing a color other than the factory choice was not advisable. There could be unexplainable consequences.

Reactions: ppc
I am going to repaint my 80. It has a grey interior.

2 Questions

1-What is your favorite factory offered paint color? Bonus points if you post a pic of it.
2-Where is the best place to get high quality OEM Toyota paint colors?

painting it any other color than the factory choice is bad JuJu. proceed at your own risk.

You need to pull your head out or your arse. I silmply warned him that choosing a color other than the factory choice was not advisable. There could be unexplainable consequences.
First 2 above quotes are OP's original and your 1st post in this thread. Does OP mention ANY choice but "factory offered paint color"? If anything, You brought up "any other color than factory choice" and if he wasn't thinking of it, he is now. So let's be honest, why did he need your warning? Hell, even this thread's title is:

What is your favorite color for factory paint in an 80 Series?​

All I was trying to say was, maybe you need to read more closely.
Always comical when the person saying “you need to work on your reading skills” is the same person misreading the post. :doh:
Please read 1st two quotes carefully and then decide for yourself who was "misreading the post".

First 2 above quotes are OP's original and your 1st post in this thread. Does OP mention ANY choice but "factory offered paint color"? If anything, You brought up "any other color than factory choice" and if he wasn't thinking of it, he is now. So let's be honest, why did he need your warning? Hell, even this thread's title is:

What is your favorite color for factory paint in an 80 Series?​

All I was trying to say was, maybe you need to read more closely.

Please read 1st two quotes carefully and then decide for yourself who was "misreading the post".
I already did. It’s you and continues to be you.

OP, I’m biased but Moonglow Pearl is where it’s at, especially if you black out the chrome pieces and have black bumpers.

First 2 above quotes are OP's original and your 1st post in this thread. Does OP mention ANY choice but "factory offered paint color"?
Landtank is simply advising to stay with the original paint YOUR truck came with., don't switch to another OEM color.

So the question of another color besides factor offered is irrelevant.

View attachment 3458196

Ahhhh look at the big brain on veiloctane! Seriously that's interesting to me. Looks like it was only offered in the two-tone but Id love to see an 80 in that color! Im partial to blue so I searched high and low for a locked 8K0.

IMG_6784.JPG

But considering your factory color is Moonglow, I would agree with Landtank 156% and say, dont change that color. And if its all original and has some nice PATINA, I wouldn't paint it at all! I'll never paint mine.

View attachment 3458196

if cedar wood comes out like this it would look awesome i may do it in Raptor Liner as my cruiser has severe hail damage
1697649107690.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom