Builds 1969 FJ40 named Mavis (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You are making great progress. Glad to see the attention Mavis is getting. First start will be amazing.

Just a little bit of progress every day.

Replaced a super crunchy side valve cover gasket and painted a bit of bare metal

IMG_20220714_194833574.jpg

IMG_20220714_194820224.jpg

Looking great, sir! I wish I had time to paint my new engine all pretty like that, but I guess the best I can do right now is a good pressure wash before we cram it in my 60. I will miss how smooth and quiet the 2f was when I'm having to turn the diesel off at the drive-thru, haha...

Mounted the alternator and fabricated new intake gaskets. Should fix the whistling. Also separated the throw out bearing from the mechanism

View attachment 3059937

View attachment 3059938

View attachment 3059939

View attachment 3059940

View attachment 3059941
Lol sorry about the silicone! By the time I found the intake leak, I knew I was selling the engine and figured it would be the next guy's problem. hahaha! Sorry you're the next guy...
The whistle didn't affect reliability or anything. Was just a bit annoying lol. You're doing great work, may the wrenching gods continue to smile in your direction 🙏

Lol sorry about the silicone! By the time I found the intake leak, I knew I was selling the engine and figured it would be the next guy's problem. hahaha! Sorry you're the next guy...
The whistle didn't affect reliability or anything. Was just a bit annoying lol. You're doing great work, may the wrenching gods continue to smile in your direction 🙏
Thanks!

It was actually some fun automotive archeology.

The only gasket that failed was the bottom of three; the two outboard hex bolts had backed out slightly.

I had actually started figuring out how to order gaskets for this carb when I realized I had some gasket material and wasn't a complete dope, so made them to fit.

Thanks!

It was actually some fun automotive archeology.

The only gasket that failed was the bottom of three; the two outboard hex bolts had backed out slightly.

I had actually started figuring out how to order gaskets for this carb when I realized I had some gasket material and wasn't a complete dope, so made them to fit.
Sometimes we have to remind ourselves we're not a complete dope. That's the important part. For future reference, I've cut a myriad of different gaskets out of cereal boxes over the years with marked success.

EDIT: also, some Muriatic acid and some Scotch Brite would make the intake manifold and other cast aluminum bits look real nice. I cleaned them a bit with oven cleaner when swapping the head, but didn't go too far as I was simply trying to get the 60 running at the time as I needed a backup.

Last edited:
Sometimes we have to remind ourselves we're not a complete dope. That's the important part. For future reference, I've cut a myriad of different gaskets out of cereal boxes over the years with marked success.

EDIT: also, some Muriatic acid and some Scotch Brite would make the intake manifold and other cast aluminum bits look real nice. I cleaned them a bit with oven cleaner when swapping the head, but didn't go too far as I was simply trying to get the 60 running at the time as I needed a backup.

can you elaborate on what version or style Alternator you have installed in you tech photos above ?

looks like a interesting little NipponDenso .... :)

can you elaborate on what version or style Alternator you have installed in you tech photos above ?

looks like a interesting little NipponDenso .... :)
It's a stock replacement reman unit from O'Reilly auto parts, but it is the Nippondenso style.
The original one in my 60 was knackered when I got this engine running, so I replaced it. Works great!
My Cummins has a GM piece on it, in the CS144 family. I will probably regret not keeping the stock alternator even with the 4bt.

It's a stock replacement reman unit from O'Reilly auto parts, but it is the Nippondenso style.
The original one in my 60 was knackered when I got this engine running, so I replaced it. Works great!
My Cummins has a GM piece on it, in the CS144 family. I will probably regret not keeping the stock alternator even with the 4bt.

Is it the IC voltage regulator type with the piggy back square box 📦 on the side ?

Or a

External remote type voltage regulator type unit ?

Square box reg on the side. The donor FJ60 is an 84.

kool , good choice

it looks like the Voltage Regulator itself is missing on the top and it's only the open port and 2 ring terminals brushes contacts ?

fooled me a bit ........ :) 🍻

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what is the LONG iron pipe / or long hose on the lower RAD hose coming off the discharge water pump port for ?

kool , good choice

it looks like the Voltage Regulator itself is missing on the top and it's only the open port and 2 ring terminals brushes contacts ?

fooled me a bit ........ :) 🍻

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what is the LONG iron pipe / or long hose on the lower RAD hose coming off the discharge water pump port for ?

The radiator return?

On my 1975 FJ55 it appears to be that. ;)

I'm lucky in that I have that functioning 2F powered beastie to refer to.

The radiator return?

On my 1975 FJ55 it appears to be that. ;)

I'm lucky in that I have that functioning 2F powered beastie to refer to.

bottom left of the photo above , u need a 12-14" hose if you have a FJ55 or its just long now and you have to cut it yet ?

Only time to do one thing today, and it was one of those jobs that takes way too much time for what it is.

I had a 1 13/16 3/4 drive socket and a 1/2 impact but no adapter. So had to find one of those and about a second later spun the front pulley nut off.

A big gob of old oil plopped out with it, so it's I think the timing cover seal is shot. Turns out that the timing cover was mostly glued on and then partially filled with sealant on the inside. Good lesson on why a little bit of sealant goes a long way.

IMG_20220718_150600292.jpg

IMG_20220718_150605714.jpg

IMG_20220718_152210837.jpg

IMG_20220718_152219199.jpg

Who eats fuel pumps? This guy does.

IMG_20220721_104559923.jpg

Had a minor heart attack when I saw big chunks of metal in the oil pan. It was magnetic, and turned out to match perfectly the OEM fuel pump arm. It was a good running engine, so I think it didn't mess much up.

IMG_20220721_104737109.jpg

IMG_20220721_104801345.jpg

IMG_20220721_105642065.jpg

This is a fiber spacer for the fuel pump. Wondering if it is necessary to mount the OEM unit I have coming?

BTW, the final count on fuel pump gaskets was 6, plus half a gallon of sealant. I have NEVER seen that many stacked gaskets in an installation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom