Extensive House Remodel...somewhat unplanned (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I love the 4 door slider - who's the manuf? was that difficult to install?

I love the 4 door slider - who's the manuf? was that difficult to install?

Thanks. All the windows/doors are Andersen. It was pretty easy to install. Put the frame together, install making sure it’s square and then put the panels in. Couple hours at the most.

Well done, will be an even more fantastic place when you guys get it all done and put back together.

I finally have some time to catch up on the house thread. Much has been done, and still much to do, oddly enough. I figured I would do some before/after photos of the house interior since the remodel. The before pictures are from when we first purchased the home.

We still have to remodel the kitchen (cabinets/island/appliances).

Before:
75521934_10157370278815272_5307276927160025088_n.jpg

After
73422530_10157370279075272_4957266384212983808_n.jpg

The dining area, which used to be closed off from the kitchen and living room:
75223763_10157370279215272_1016080569496240128_n.jpg

After:
75199917_10157370279370272_8104010371611754496_n.jpg

Living room/dining room area before:

75610707_10157370279465272_4049267794842222592_n.jpg

After:
74400585_10157370280080272_4409448846115995648_n.jpg

Master Bedroom:

75042190_10157370281100272_8338075983185707008_n.jpg

After:
75226512_10157370280270272_5770484206526267392_n.jpg

I removed all of the upper cabinets in the kitchen, as some had to be taken out to install the 6 foot wide window over the kitchen sink. I had seen some pictures online where people had run their countertop into the window as the window sill. Decided I wanted to try and figure out how to do that, so measured about 8 times and installed the window. Here it is in it's current state. I need to re-do all of the drywall in the kitchen still before installing the new cabinets:

IMG_2114.jpg

I've started messing around with how to build up the lower window frame to support the countertop as it spans into the window, though it won't carry much weight.

I was deployed for 7 months the end of 20 into 21, so that slowed the progress. This summer I was finally able to finish the siding. My little helper...if I am outside working on anything, she is by my side...always. If you have a young one, you know how that goes. Slows the process, but I wouldn't change it for the world. She just turned 6 and can run a screw gun, a drill, and loves to measure things.

IMG_2421.jpg

I had ordered these two 7ft windows for one of our daughters bedrooms, as they are the same in the dining area of the house. Somehow when I ordered them I didn't think about needing windows in the bedroom that would open, so had to order different windows. So, with two extra 7ft windows, I decided to turn them on their side and use them in the attached garage. One on the back and one on the side of the garage.

IMG_2320.jpg

Still need to paint the door trim and the door!

Here is the front, or at least most of it, after the siding and windows installed. I wanted many windows to look out at the lake and woods.

72986506_10157370278425272_1708816209740300288_n.jpg

Finally, the garage door took about 8 months to come in after ordering it...their original quote was 6-8 weeks. We are happy with it so far. I wanted to glass tinted, but that was a ridiculous amount extra, so figure I can have a mobile tinter come out and take care of it at some point. There is also a 6 foot slider you can see it the part that juts out on this end. That goes into the kitchen and I wanted that installed for easy access to the kitchen while cooking outside. I'll wrap the deck around this end of the house and have a 10x10 (my current thought) outside the slider where I can keep the smokers, griddles, etc.

IMG_2256.jpg

One of my favorite pictures, because of the house, my wifes cruiser, and you can see the lake...

IMG_2396.jpg

There is still a lot to do! We still have to remodel the kitchen and two bathrooms, and haven't started on the basement yet. It will be a many year project, but if it were all done instantly, I wouldn't have anything to work on, and I enjoy seeing the progress as we go along.

I did build a pretty cool loft in my daughters bedroom that I will get some pictures of and post at some point.

Last edited:
Here is the front, or at least most of it, after the siding and windows installed. I wanted many windows to look out at the lake and woods.

View attachment 2858236
Finally, the garage door took about 8 months to come in after ordering it...their original quote was 6-8 weeks. We are happy with it so far. I wanted to glass tinted, but that was a ridiculous amount extra, so figure I can have a mobile tinter come out and take care of it at some point. There is also a 6 foot slider you can see it the part that juts out on this end. That goes into the kitchen and I wanted that installed for easy access to the kitchen while cooking outside. I'll wrap the deck around this end of the house and have a 10x10 (my current thought) outside the slider where I can keep the smokers, griddles, etc.

View attachment 2858229

One of my favorite pictures, because of the house, my wifes cruiser, and you can see the lake...

View attachment 2858232

There is still a lot to do! We still have to remodel the kitchen and two bathrooms, and haven't started on the basement yet. It will be a many year project, but if it were all done instantly, I wouldn't have anything to work on, and I enjoy seeing the progress as we go along.

I did build a pretty cool loft in my daughters bedroom that I will get some pictures of and post at some point.
Vision, planning, execution is 100% here. Wow, was not expexting these results. Your home is stunning! Nice set of cruisers too!!

Egress windows will get you every time!

Looks like an awesome job - congrats!!

View attachment 2858236

View attachment 2858229

View attachment 2858232

I had to go back and look again to see if that was the same house!!!!!

Vision, planning, execution is 100% here. Wow, was not expexting these results. Your home is stunning! Nice set of cruisers too!!
Thank you for the kind words. It was all in my head and I had to draw many pictures and finally built a paper 3D version of it for my wife so she could see the ‘vision’. Still a long way to go!

I had to go back and look again to see if that was the same house!!!!!
Thank you! It’s quite different now, indeed. My original plan was to bulldoze it but my father in law convinced me not to, and I’m glad he did.

We are just now moving into the kitchen remodel. We ordered our cabinets in December, and they arrived about a week ago. This past week I installed the kitchen island cabinets...complete with OSB countertop, so we will have some counterspace to work. Once the island was installed I began tearing out the remaining cabinets and drywall. We did not have enough circuits in the kitchen and it was not properly wired, so I had a sub-panel installed a few weeks ago. This allowed me to move some of the breakers out of the main panel to make room for new breakers in the kitchen area. I finished running all of the electrical earlier this week. Hopefully within the next week or so I will pick up some drywall to hang and finish installing the rest of the cabinets.

On that note, we received our countertop quote...that was ridiculous, so not sure if we will move forward with that or keep shopping around. It was more than we were anticipating.

Nonetheless, the current state of the kitchen is the picture below. My oldest daughter trying out one of the new barstools for the island.

IMG_2777.jpg

Just bragging to the wife about your accomplishments here. She immediately said we weren’t remodeling the 41 year old single wide we have on our farm left by old couple I purchased it from. We put $5000 in it 2 years ago which exceeded its value by $4500.
It’s short term problem EHR home plans done we destroying the trailer.

You have a beautiful home!

Just bragging to the wife about your accomplishments here. She immediately said we weren’t remodeling the 41 year old single wide we have on our farm left by old couple I purchased it from. We put $5000 in it 2 years ago which exceeded its value by $4500.
It’s short term problem EHR home plans done we destroying the trailer.

You have a beautiful home!
Thank you, sir! I've been following your thread about building your new barn and home. Looking forward to it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom