Builds Montana 65 FJ45LV "Tin Zen" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Steve, if I am thinking of the same nice fellow mudder let me know if I can help with bringing them from Junction Tuesday. Truck is open and would be easy for me to drop them at your home or anywhere along the route home.
Thank you very kindly for the offer Jon but looks like I'll need to make a hot lap myself on Tuesday. Several stops on my list: dropping off gas tank for repair, meeting with upholsterers to confirm vinyl colors, selecting interior paint color for the chair frames at the bodyshop, picking up the axles coming in from Cali and finally stopping to visit those 6 LV's I stumbled across a few weeks ago. I'll buy you a lunch in there somewhere if you've got time.

With the "new" axles due in on Tuesday, I took a few hours today to re-assemble the original front axle and pull the rear axle from the car.

20220205_151014.jpg
20220205_105244.jpg
20220205_124937.jpg

Thank you very kindly for the offer Jon but looks like I'll need to make a hot lap myself on Tuesday. Several stops on my list: dropping off gas tank for repair, meeting with upholsterers to confirm vinyl colors, selecting interior paint color for the chair frames at the bodyshop, picking up the axles coming in from Cali and finally stopping to visit those 6 LV's I stumbled across a few weeks ago. I'll buy you a lunch in there somewhere if you've got time.
Please post some pics of the 6 LV’s and the story!

I guess that brings up a question about the larger lug nuts.
Was it just early years that had these?
Did all models have them?
Was there a reason for them?

Good questions Ken. Alll I know about them for sure is that they 24mm on this one, all my other Cruiser stuff is 21mm.
20220206_120503.jpg

I guess that brings up a question about the larger lug nuts.
Was it just early years that had these?
Did all models have them?
Was there a reason for them?
Yes just early years had the 23mm lug nut, Toyota switched to 21mm lug nut in August of 1963.

They were on 20 series Cruisers and FJ40/43/45s. Two different versions also, tall and short. Tall ones are most common, shorts i think were for spare tire, and also used every where on 1959 and earlier Cruisers. My 59 Cruiser had shorts on all wheels, my 60 Cruiser had tall ones on all wheels. Hijack over.

IMG_4088.jpg

Yes just early years had the 23mm lug nut, Toyota switched to 21mm lug nut in August of 1963.

They were on 20 series Cruisers and FJ40/43/45s. Two different versions also, tall and short. Tall ones are most common, shorts i think were for spare tire, and also used every where on 1959 and earlier Cruisers. My 59 Cruiser had shorts on all wheels, my 60 Cruiser had tall ones on all wheels. Hijack over.

View attachment 2916500
Pure knowledge! Thank you!

Please post some pics of the 6 LV’s and the story!
There are 5 LV's available, the 6th one is sold to FJCo and is headed south. One of the LV's has had the VIN scrubbed from the chassis, so it's a parts car. That leaves 4 LV's with VIN's and titles waiting for someone to love them.
I'm not a broker and I have no financial interest in these whatsoever. I simply want to see these things go to some good homes. PM me if you would like to be put in touch with the owner.

IMG957483.jpg
IMG_7479.jpg
IMG_7441.jpg
IMG_7395.jpg
IMG957393.jpg

Met up with an all-star cast for breakfast and some parts swapping earlier this week. Always a treat to see each one of these guys, just some really damn good people. Besides myself, there was @greenbeast, @thorslc1977, @riderjgs and @Sunny Sticks all in one place for some great storytelling. Huge thanks to Dennis for bringing me the axles from CA, I've wasted no time tearing into them. Got the front axle stripped, painted and bolted to the truck. Ended up ordering some parts for the rear axle, hopefully installing that next week.
20220208_173645.jpg
20220211_141257.jpg

20220211_162640.jpg
20220211_163205.jpg

It was my pleasure to get a chance to meet some very nice people indeed. Gave me an excuse to get out of the house and see some beautiful scenery. Not completely altruistic on my part as I was going to Grand Junction to pick up parts for me any way. It would have been pretty silly not to bring parts with me in an otherwise empty pick up bed. Oh and 2.95 a gallon for gas and 80 mile an hour speed limits were a refreshing change of pace from California.

I'm between projects at work right now so pushing right along on the LV.
Pulled the sway bar and refinished it, complete with new OEM rubber bushings. Also hit the steering rods with new tie-rod ends and paint.
20220215_115905.jpg
20220215_114541.jpg
20220215_120630.jpg
20220215_123432.jpg
20220217_062950.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom