Neighbor selling 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
91 or 92, VIN search claims it’s a 1991, CA title says it’s a 1992.

Gold with peeling hood.

Interior okay. driver’s window motor dead, no AC, claimed 90,000 miles (highly suspect). Zero rust. Never used off road, but tcase works.

Fluids all black.

My neighbor says that he’s getting too old to mess with it and wants to sell it for $9000.

I think it would be a fun project, but seems too needy for that price.

Any ideas from the peanut gallery?

A geezer gold 3FE is very low on the desirability scale for an 80, but if the miles are actual it could become a nice truck. It will most definitely be needy, and parts sourcing will not exactly be easy, depends on how much of a glutton for punishment you are. I'm not very smart so feel free to PM me his number if you pass.

First thought is that it is too rich for the issues going on--unless it truly has 90k miles on it. And when you say fluids are all black--I take that as a major red flag. Black PS/brake/tranny fluid, coolant, window washer fluid, gas, etc? Hard pass even without pics.

Sounds like a strong candidate for a V8 transplant if the body is straight and the rig is rust free

Buy it for $35,000.

Then find a forum that deals with that make and bitch about people not helping you.

First thought is that it is too rich for the issues going on--unless it truly has 90k miles on it. And when you say fluids are all black--I take that as a major red flag. Black PS/brake/tranny fluid, coolant, window washer fluid, gas, etc? Hard pass even without pics.
PS, brake fluid, tranny and tcase and oil all black.

Mileage seems legit.

..Fluids all black.

My neighbor says that he’s getting too old to mess with it and wants to sell it for $9000...
Sounds like he got too old for dealing with it a few years back. Changing fluids isn't expensive though.
I'd ask if he'd accept the 33% off for a good neighbor discount.

Wait a year and offer him $2500 cash. It’s already neglected and in one year the cost of a gallon of gas will make only the craziest of us stay on board the 8mpg train.

Yes. Have him post it in the MUD classified section.

I counter offered him five grand and a trek bicycle, assuming it can pass smog, the 80 not the bicycle.

We will find out tomorrow.

Last edited:
A geezer gold 3FE is very low on the desirability scale for an 80, but if the miles are actual it could become a nice truck. It will most definitely be needy, and parts sourcing will not exactly be easy, depends on how much of a glutton for punishment you are. I'm not very smart so feel free to PM me his number if you pass.
You are no longer invited to my birthday party.
PS, brake fluid, tranny and tcase and oil all black.

Mileage seems legit.
The fluids are probably original. Don't listen to the haters, the 3FE was the best engine Toyota ever built.

I counter offered him five grand and a trek bicycle, assuming it can pass smog, the 80 not the bicycle.

We will find out tomorrow.

Wait! He gets the bicycle or you do?

You might should keep the bicycle as secondary transport while your fixing the 80 :lol:

Changing all the fluids would be first on the list.
Then basic engine PM, tune etc, thencheck cooling system, brakes, hoses, dodgy wiring

Sounds like it's missed out on some TLC, so expect to spent several grand over a couple of years catching up on deferred maintenance (aka neglect)

Buy it for 5K if the 90K odometer is correct and there is NO rust. Take out the 3FE and sell it to those that love them. Put in a new 1FZ, ECU, Harness. Drive it, and enjoy. I wish I had neighbors who had 80's.

I met a guy at the self-serve wrecker who was looking at the same 80 carcass as me. He recently got an 80 from his neighbour. Literally an old guy who basically just drove it to church on Sundays. He'd had it since new, maintained it well, and it only had around 100,000km on it. Sold it to him for $1000 cash, since it was too hard for him to get into anymore. I think I need different neighbours.

Wait! He gets the bicycle or you do?

You might should keep the bicycle as secondary transport while your fixing the 80 :lol:

Changing all the fluids would be first on the list.
Then basic engine PM, tune etc, thencheck cooling system, brakes, hoses, dodgy wiring

Sounds like it's missed out on some TLC, so expect to spent several grand over a couple of years catching up on deferred maintenance (aka neglect)
Bikes are impossible to buy cheap rn because some idiot last year said that bike manufacturers should be making PPE instead of bikes.

It’s an old TREK 29er.

What its worth and what someone will pay is exactly opposite of what it used to mean.

Saw this one in person and it was clean but thought 10k was crazy money and it brought 20 instead. 3 listed on mud currently 91/92 and all are over 12k and still rising. The current issue is the 80's are in such demand that a lot of folks don't realize how different a 91/92 is and they are jumping in at what they perceive as a good price. I personally have ZERO interest in a 91/92 automatic transmission. The only reason i would buy one is if I thought i could resale for a profit to some smuck or a very limited number of 91/92 cult members.

On the other hand @wngrog has given me an appreciation for what a manuel tranny de-smogged rig like that can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom