How much is she worth!! Question about my new fj80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone! excited to be a new cruiser owner.
I hope I'm posting in the right place, but I just picked up my truck and wanted to know if I overpaid or maybe got a deal. Its a 1993 fj80 with only the center dif lock, newer paint job that looks really good honestly, catch is the truck has 260k miles but runs strong. Everything seems to work well. I just bought it for $6800, seems like a lot for an old truck but I know these have a great reputation. Seats are pretty messed up.
Would love to know what you guys think!!
Thanks
Ben
IMG-3524.jpeg
IMG-3523.jpeg

Looks good, glad to see people are still getting some good deals on these. 260k miles is not high, just take care of it, keep up on all the preventive maintenance. Spend some time reading through the Frequently Asked Questions and do some searches for the topics you're interested in.

Welcome to Mud!!

Looks good, glad to see people are still getting some good deals on these. 260k miles is not high, just take care of it, keep up on all the preventive maintenance. Spend some time reading through the Frequently Asked Questions and do some searches for the topics you're interested in.

Welcome to Mud!!
thanks so much fellow!! So youd say that under 7k is a pretty good deal for one of these in this condition? its also "allegedly" had the headgasket and all wheel barings done recently.

If the head gasket (not just valve cover gasket) was already replaced that's a major bonus. Got any paperwork that shows what work was actually performed, or, can you find out what shop did the work and ask them?

Good deal is a relative question. As long as your happy what does it matter? Is it going to make you feel better if someone say GOOD Deal. Whatever price you paid will quickly multiply with the money you are going to spend on it. ITs more important to ask does this look like a good cruiser. You cant pay too much for quality or to little for crap.

I think we need a how much is it worth section, this is not TECH. These post are popping up every few days.

You bought it, If you like it DOSE IT MATTER ?

That being said Welcome to Mud, Clean looking reg.

This guy says

51fq95.jpg

And the Doc says

81c0d2b8bdacdea3b0d0667b3e599710.png

Who did the paint job? Whats the underside of the rig look like? Engine bay?

I'd say you overpaid by a good $2,000. If it was a 95+ that seems to be the going price these days for a good example. Mine is s***box 97 and I paid $4500 in 2017. Sunk thousands more into since then. Still smile everytime I look at it and drive it.

Value is only based on what you assign that object. If you like it, great.

I'd say you overpaid by a good $2,000. If it was a 95+ that seems to be the going price these days for a good example. Mine is s***box 97 and I paid $4500 in 2017. Sunk thousands more into since then. Still smile everytime I look at it and drive it.

What you payed in 2017 has no baring on pricing today. If you have been following pricing of 80s lately you would know they have gone through the roof

Totally understand, also understand time value of money + inflation. I only threw it out there because it was a s***box when I bought it. If the OP's 93 is in great mechanical shape then all the better.

You paid too much.

Everyone else here paid $250.00 and it was rust-free and had 95% of all maintenance records, had a clean Carfax and a clean title.

All of them had new tires and the head gasket done by the PO before we bought them.

What were you thinking?

You paid too much.

Everyone else here paid $250.00 and it was rust-free and had 95% of all maintenance records, had a clean Carfax and a clean title.

All of them had new tires and the head gasket done by the PO before we bought them.

What were you thinking?
$250 maybe if you have lockers, but w/o those can you even give these away?

AMEN! Preach it Brother Whaler!

I'll give you 50 bucks for it.

Prices are all over the place, get what you can, what you can afford, in your local market. Problem is, if someone with too much money decides they want a particular 80 series and money is no object then the sky's the limit.

Also, when someone documents the high prices for the scalpers and flippers to find on a Land Cruiser forum (hint hint), then the prices will only become more inflated by those only interested in making a buck.

Example: there was a wealthy individual in Hawaii who's wife wanted a particular color of 80 and once he found it the cost was not a factor, so he overpaid for the 80 and shipped it out to Hawaii, and likely spent another $20,000 getting it back in shape and doing a paint job. For that person the money spent was just lunch money, a 15 second stock market trade, or a tax deduction for his business.

Unfortunately there are also flippers who then see those crazy numbers who try to sell a dolled up 80 slathered in Armorall for big bucks, but none of the PM has been done.

Then there are shill buyers (working in cahoots with the flipper) who will bid up the prices on fleabay, then others see those inflated numbers and figure if they paid less than 30k for their 80 they got a good deal.

And add that to some recent buyers who bought an 80 for a status symbol to park in front of Starbucks and who look at their 80 as an "investment" and not something they really need to drive to work or use off-road, they just care about the value increasing like their stock portfolio.

Maybe the mods can ban all discussions of price??, as IMHO it only pushes the prices up and the only people it seems to help are the flippers.

Last edited:
I just bought 100 rounds of 12 Ga for $40.00

Is this a good deal?

16155886326177917044207061515059.jpg

Like Broski said, if you paid that much and you're happy, then it was the right price. Fair market value is what a buyer is willing to pay and a seller is willing to accept. Sound like you paid exactly fair market value for your new cruiser, congratulations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom