FJ80 PS Pump rebuild Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have followed Gnob's thread detailing rebuilding the power steering pump. (url below)

I have the disassembly done to entry #5 where he details the following:

"after the rotor/vane assembly comes out you have to remove shaft. start by removing the snap ring on the front of the pump. (I did this no problem)

next tap out the shaft from the backside with a brass drift. (done, again no problem, the shaft is out)

once the shaft is out, you can remove the front plate. i had to use a small slide hammer set that i use for doing pilot bearings."

Ok, the last one is where I have problems. I don't have a small slide hammer and even if I did I don't see where it would be used. How was the front plate (with the rods sticking out of it, see the second picture below) removed without removing the seal at the same time? How do you remove the front plate? Can you just put a socket on the seal side and tap/hammer the whole front plate and seal out in the direction of the front plate at the same time together?

Looking at the assembly drawing that came with the Toyota rebuild kit I think you should be able to press or hammer out the seal and plate from the seal side to the front plate side. There isn't any snap rings that would prevent this that I can see. I tried both tapping the seal out toward the plate using a socket and brass hammer, and I tried using a press to push it out in the same direction but I didn't get any movement so I stopped before I used more force because I thought I better check with you guys first to make sure I am not going to destroy something because I was doing it wrong.

So this is the seal side, I put a socket on the seal and both hit it with the brass hammer to get it moving but that didn't seem to work so I used a press to push on it from this side. that didn't seem to work either with the force I was using.
PS Pump pic 2.jpg

This is the front plate side. This is the side in which I was trying to push the seal toward, so the front plate would fall out toward in this direction.
PS pump pic1.jpg

So i guess my question is my methodology correct? Should I try again just using as much force as necessary to get it out, even if that means using a LOT of force?

So this is the seal side, I put a socket on the seal and both hit it with the brass hammer to get it moving but that didn't seem to work so I used a press to push on it from this side. that didn't seem to work either with the force I was using.

JFC you're trying to push the seal through the body of the pump! You better hope you didn't crack or deform anything. The seal comes out in exactly the opposite direction of what you were attempting.

The inner pump plate should come out by smacking the body flat against a surface. If that doesn't work, use an inside puller borrowed from AutoZone.

JFC you're trying to push the seal through the body of the pump! You better hope you didn't crack or deform anything. The seal comes out in exactly the opposite direction of what you were attempting.

The inner pump plate should come out by smacking the body flat against a surface. If that doesn't work, use an inside puller borrowed from AutoZone.
Crap I was afraid of that. I didn't get a clear picture of the directions from the original thread. So the seal and the plate come out in opposite directions, i.e. in the directions there they can be seen.

I got both the plate and the seal out, thanks for the tip. I was pretty sure I was doing something wrong the first attempt. I removed them both by using a small diameter drift pin and gently tapping them free from the opposite side of the housing from where they were set (i.e. I set the pin through the center hole to rest against the inner lip of the respective seal and plate). No damage to the housing that I can see so it should be all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom