How much is she worth!! Question about my new fj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone! excited to be a new cruiser owner.
I hope I'm posting in the right place, but I just picked up my truck and wanted to know if I overpaid or maybe got a deal. Its a 1993 fj80 with only the center dif lock, newer paint job that looks really good honestly, catch is the truck has 260k miles but runs strong. Everything seems to work well. I just bought it for $6800, seems like a lot for an old truck but I know these have a great reputation. Seats are pretty messed up.
Would love to know what you guys think!!
Thanks
Ben
IMG-3524.jpeg
IMG-3523.jpeg

Hey everyone! excited to be a new cruiser owner.
I hope I'm posting in the right place, but I just picked up my truck and wanted to know if I overpaid or maybe got a deal. Its a 1993 fj80 with only the center dif lock, newer paint job that looks really good honestly, catch is the truck has 260k miles but runs strong. Everything seems to work well. I just bought it for $6800, seems like a lot for an old truck but I know these have a great reputation. Seats are pretty messed up.
Would love to know what you guys think!!
Thanks
BenView attachment 2611363View attachment 2611364
Nice truck 👍🏼

Depends on how badly you wanted to pay .40 cents a round for target shot.

I got 5.56 for sale at $1.00 a pew.
No thanks. I don't even have a .223/.556

Everyone says to buy guns chambered in military calibers because ammo will always be available. I think that is just another reason to avoid military calibers. Everyone has them so they are the first to disappear.

I would be interested in some .243, .270, or 6.5 creedmoor if you got any.....

hahah alright alright, you guys sound like you have a little too much time on your hands, hoping its because these things don't need too be worked on much. Although Im sure I could find the same on the Ford forums....
I never would have guessed it was such a sensitive matter asking about the price of an early 90s suv, now I know, and yes have been enjoying it so far, soon to be off road and far away from these online forums. Thanks for the rare sincere responses though, you guys are what we kids would call the homies.

Feel free to come back with any questions, just search for the answer before asking. Everything has been discussed at some point, the forum goes way back to like ‘04 or something. It’s all in here somewhere. Don’t mind the spazing out, it happens, you poked a nerve I guess 😂

Nice ride. Welcome. i say pay what you have to in order to drive what you want. I know people who buy land rovers for 90k. Good for them, if that makes them happy.

When you have what you want, then prices going up doesn't make you want to sell.

hahah alright alright, you guys sound like you have a little too much time on your hands, hoping its because these things don't need too be worked on much. Although Im sure I could find the same on the Ford forums....
I never would have guessed it was such a sensitive matter asking about the price of an early 90s suv, now I know, and yes have been enjoying it so far, soon to be off road and far away from these online forums. Thanks for the rare sincere responses though, you guys are what we kids would call the homies.
Yeah, we just love to have fun on here. I am looking forward to seeing some updates with maintenance and some dirt roads with your new rig. Your going to fall in love with her, it will be like puberty all over again.

I never would have guessed it was such a sensitive matter asking about the price of an early 90s suv

Don't sweat it. "What's my truck worth" has become the new "What's the biggest size tire I can fit" type of question. Every time somebody asks one of those questions the old timers be like...

bbet.gif

I paid about 3500 USD between the price at the auction and fees for my agent to collect a sad old doner truck, just to get my hands on a decent frame.
1615607607319.png

1615607634902.png

But it does have a manual transmission, at least partial lockers and a factory winch both of which will go to good use.

My point, as others have said, is that value is pretty subjective. I really wanted to save a turbo diesel with a bad frame and my options appeared to be limited as I have been doing this remotely.

The annoying thing is that this just came up for auction in Dubai:
1615607931326.png

1615607984176.png

Current price is about 125 bucks. Would have been just as good, perhaps better, for a frame swap. Particularly as this one seems to have originally been a RHD (see the hole where the wiper motor was on the right) just as the intended recipient truck started out.

6800 USD sounds really good to me assuming it has a good frame and no rust. I have a buddy here in Virginia who is ready to plunk down 10K for any decent 1FE 80. Trouble is, good 10K USD trucks are really hard to find around these parts.

You did good. You will love the 93. I have a 94 and love it. I think I paid 6500 for it 5 years ago. These things will run forever. My head gasket had a leak a few years later but I loved mine so much I spent another 5k rebuilding the engine and transmission. Plus new tires, front seat leather, a lift, stereo, radiator all sensors and hoses. I'm probably close to 16k now. Best money I ever spent if you ask me. Biggest waste if you ask my wife.

You did good. You will love the 93. I have a 94 and love it. I think I paid 6500 for it 5 years ago. These things will run forever. My head gasket had a leak a few years later but I loved mine so much I spent another 5k rebuilding the engine and transmission. Plus new tires, front seat leather, a lift, stereo, radiator all sensors and hoses. I'm probably close to 16k now. Best money I ever spent if you ask me. Biggest waste if you ask my wife.
I have a white 93 Middle East truck here in Virginia and I love it too. Downside is OBD-1 which has not been all that useful in helping me track down a CEL. On the other hand a very wise member of this forum is of the very strong opinion that pre-airbags is the way to go in an 80.

I have a white 93 Middle East truck here in Virginia and I love it too. Downside is OBD-1 which has not been all that useful in helping me track down a CEL. On the other hand a very wise member of this forum is of the very strong opinion that pre-airbags is the way to go in an 80.
Don't waste time tracking cel. If it runs good just ignore it. Lol

I paid about 3500 USD between the price at the auction and fees for my agent to collect a sad old doner truck, just to get my hands on a decent frame.
View attachment 2612473

View attachment 2612477

But it does have a manual transmission, at least partial lockers and a factory winch both of which will go to good use.

My point, as others have said, is that value is pretty subjective. I really wanted to save a turbo diesel with a bad frame and my options appeared to be limited as I have been doing this remotely.

The annoying thing is that this just came up for auction in Dubai:
View attachment 2612482
View attachment 2612483
Current price is about 125 bucks. Would have been just as good, perhaps better, for a frame swap. Particularly as this one seems to have originally been a RHD (see the hole where the wiper motor was on the right) just as the intended recipient truck started out.

6800 USD sounds really good to me assuming it has a good frame and no rust. I have a buddy here in Virginia who is ready to plunk down 10K for any decent 1FE 80. Trouble is, good 10K USD trucks are really hard to find around these parts.

Swing away spare tire mount, manual tranny and factory winch would be kinda cool to have.

Swing away spare tire mount, manual tranny and factory winch would be kinda cool to have.
The swing away spare tire mount is kind of interesting. I had a chance to look at the inside of the body panel at a salvage yard some time back and found that the body panel has been reinforced with a fairly thick panel (thicker than 1/8"). I probably will throw the spare tire mount in the next truck I ship to the US but I will warn the recipient that the panel needs reinforcement. I've got the same tire mount on the 93 I have in Virginia and it is really very solid and very well engineered. It even has a pin to insert to hold the tire away if you are not parked on the level.

The manual tranny I will bring back to the US, along with the console/trim, although it is a bit rough. I'm sure someone here will make good use of it.
1615612141536.png

It also has the full high/low 4WD, which is really nice, so I will be bringing the the transfer case along too. I probably will also pull the cooler center console. Not sure if the donor has the rear AC but if it does I will pull that too. The donor has a 3F engine which means a different spline on the tranny input shaft, but I understand that can be changed.

The factory winch is going on the recipient truck, along with the factory bumper (which I think needs some dents pounded out). Now that I am thinking about it I probably should strip the clutch pedal and associated mount.

The recipient truck is a turbo diesel with an automatic transmission. I'm planning to use it as a daily driver in the UAE, where I normally work, so the auto tran, I think, is a better choice for that. But I do love a standard transmission...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom