fj62 fuel pulsation damper (idle stutter) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,
I've got a pretty bad idle stumble/stutter going on my 89 FJ62, so I picked up a new fuel pulsation damper in hopes that will help out. Does anyone have any suggestions for removing the old one? It's in a very precarious spot that I can't get a 22mm wrench in. The only thing I can think of is buying a swivel head open end 22mm wrench or a crow foot set in hopes of getting back there.
Also would appreciate thoughts on the pulsation damper to resolve the bad idle stumble! Thank you, everyone!

Couldn't find crows feet at 3 locations so I said screw it and tried welding for the first time ever. Waiting for the truck to cool down before I get in there.

PXL_20201015_164133317.jpg

22mm crows foot as others have mention. Watch out for the copper washers that’ll be loose when pull out the old one.

It was a bit tough to get the fuel line, washers, and angle right so it threaded in without fear of cross threading since you’re doing it by feel. A screwdriver helped insure the washers were lined up before putting the new one on.

A new fuel pressure regulator may also help if this doesn’t solve it.

Well, my little homemade tool did the trick but the new pulsation damper did little to nothing to resolve the idle surging. Keep in mine, the issue goes away off idle. Looks like a fuel pressure regulator is up next?
That was a fun little lesson in welding and finally getting to use the cheapo welder I had sitting around. So there's that.

Other things to check is adjusting the throttle
position sensor and making sure you have good fuel pressure. I’m chasing the same thing as well as a slow start when the motor is cold.

While this may not apply in your situation, I had a stumble idle when the engine was warm caused by a bad temp sensor on the water housing. Engine was Hot, ECU thought it was cold.

While this may not apply in your situation, I had a stumble idle when the engine was warm caused by a bad temp sensor on the water housing. Engine was Hot, ECU thought it was cold.

This sounds similar to my issue. I noticed today that it doesn't stumble until warmed up and my temp guage doesn't go over the 1/4 mark ever. Would you happen to have a part number on what you replaced?

Also, while you are there, get a new temp sending unit.
Temp sensor goes to ECU and temp sending unit goes to temp gauge in dash (or the reverse of that)
Since you are doing two sensors on the water housing you might as well throw in new thermostat.
then my friend, you are done with that section of your engine bay for years to come 👍

Thermostat I did a couple years back but with a cheapo aftermarket...so I may go OEM for peace of mind. Wondering if this is one of the sensors mentions because that wire is just toast.

PXL_20201016_195208671.jpg

Oh heck yes! This is very helpful! Thank you. I think I'll replace both the temp sensor and switch, the dash sending unit and maybe the thermostat and see where I am. That whole unit needs new hosing and a general refurb so I'll count it as a total resto and maybe pop it in the vapor hone cabinet!

Last edited:
Got the water temp sensor and sender ordered with the 2 gaskets I need for the housing as well. Pretty hard to find the water temp switch so I'll replace that wiring and check the resistance on the switch. Fairly certain I have the smaller hosing, on the bsvs valve, in the garage but the larger hosing looks like a standard fuel line I can pick up.

Finally got around to restoring all of this...
Does anyone know where I could find a new water temperature switch plug end? The wire broke off right at the plug on mine and there doesn't seem to be a way to repair it. A new water temperature sensor plug end would be nice, too, as that one is on it's last strand of copper.

cIfay36.jpg

I love having a vapor hone cabinet:

ozIJQ2h.jpg

N0X5Drs.jpg

wBEHCeu.jpg

Finally got around to restoring all of this...
Does anyone know where I could find a new water temperature switch plug end? The wire broke off right at the plug on mine and there doesn't seem to be a way to repair it. A new water temperature sensor plug end would be nice, too, as that one is on it's last strand of copper.

cIfay36.jpg

I love having a vapor hone cabinet:

ozIJQ2h.jpg

N0X5Drs.jpg

wBEHCeu.jpg

@ToyotaMatt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom