If you love something let it go...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh, those installed pics are from a different truck. Gotcha. Interested to hear what's wrong with the motor.

Oh, those installed pics are from a different truck. Gotcha. Interested to hear what's wrong with the motor.

Yeah I should have made that more clear. Those are pics of it installed in a 62.
Kit is a garret water cooled turbo (can't remember the model) and it is all set up for low boost 7 psi or so if I remember correctly. I think it was made to put the 155hp and 220TQ of the 3fe in the same ball park as the 1fz HP/wise but more TQ. Adding a 2f lower will only help that a bit.
Guy spent like 5k putting the kit together to work with the stock ECU.

Akarilo had a similar build on a stock 3fe and threw down 260 ft/lbs on a dyno..... i'm guessing with a 2f lower and some head work it will closer to 300

Yeah I should have made that more clear. Those are pics of it installed in a 62.
Kit is a garret water cooled turbo (can't remember the model) and it is all set up for low boost 7 psi or so if I remember correctly. I think it was made to put the 155hp and 220TQ of the 3fe in the same ball park as the 1fz HP/wise but more TQ. Adding a 2f lower will only help that a bit.
Guy spent like 5k putting the kit together to work with the stock ECU.

Alkarilo had a similar build on a stock 3fe and threw down 260 ft/lbs on a dyno..... i'm guessing with a 2f lower and some head work it will closer to 300

You have to be super careful with compression on a 2FE. Given the machine work Jerry had done, I'm sure lucky to be running a MegaSquirt with ability to control the timing. I'm somewhere around 10.5:1 and am finding I need to run Premium to be able to have the timing needed to make that motor happy. If I knew then what I know now, I'd try and find a stoke bore block and head that hadn't been shaved. Might even try to find a different head at some point, and definitely will need to if I ever wind up putting a hairdryer on there.

You have to be super careful with compression on a 2FE. Given the machine work Jerry had done, I'm sure lucky to be running a MegaSquirt with ability to control the timing. I'm somewhere around 10.5:1 and am finding I need to run Premium to be able to have the timing needed to make that motor happy. If I knew then what I know now, I'd try and find a stoke bore block and head that hadn't been shaved. Might even try to find a different head at some point, and definitely will need to if I ever wind up putting a hairdryer on there.

Yeah i'd be looking to try and keep the ratio as close to stock as possible. Got some reading to do to try and figure that out.
By head work I meant port and polish and new valves.

I'd have to reread through some of the 2fe builds using stock ecus to see what they went with. I think motorsarge was one who put it in an 80

Also this is all just spit balling at this point. Till I get the truck here and fixed I have no clue what the engine plans are.

IIRC you're limited with the 3fe ecu because it uses a MAF sensor instead of a MAP sensor. Something about the fuel map not being able to compensate for the extra air that a turbo puts in. Anyway, I hope you put that turbo on there, because turbos make all trucks better.

From the sounds of your tests, it definitely seems like the HG is bad. Hopefully the head isn't cracked from whatever the PO did to cause it. Terry in Cary back in the day had his 3fe head crack after a HG went out on him, had a hell of a time finding someone to repair it for him.

Yeah, we will see. If the engine is toast then thats that. Ill get the 2f lower and find a 3fe head.

This kit like akarilos uses a rising rate FPR to help.l with that but 7-8 psi is about the max you can go.

Right now just getting it running well enough move onto a delivery trailer , then off and into my driveway is all I can hope for.

Oh I need to update my signature again and the bronco thread. Now I have my baby back Andrea is going to get way more executive control over her truck. We had come to a tentative medium for it but now it will be more of a resto type thing she can drive to the beach in the summer with her friends. She wants to start learning how to do body work with me, i'm more hoping to find a used tub for a good price to swap in lol.

Oh I need to update my signature again and the bronco thread. Now I have my baby back Andrea is going to get way more executive control over her truck. We had come to a tentative medium for it but now it will be more of a resto type thing she can drive to the beach in the summer with her friends. She wants to start learning how to do body work with me, i'm more hoping to find a used tub for a good price to swap in lol.
Or I’ll just trailer the 80 out for you and bring that Bronco back to me. :)

oh man you going to do free work on the Bronco for us..... how nice ;)

I dont think you would get far after Andrea shanks you. Lol

tFJGj.jpg

Last edited:
Ordered up some heavy duty wires from a mud member since the ones on there didn't look the greatest.

Also got a new connection block for the fuseable links on order at Fred Anderson.
I have this kit. The cables are very well built but dare I say the wire gauge is too big? Moving the cables around it like pushing water hose around the engine bay.

oh man you going to do free work on the Bronco for us..... how nice ;)

I dont think you would get far after Andrea shanks you. Lol

tFJGj.jpg
Worth a shot. Lol. I really miss my old Bronco and wouldn’t mind finding another.

Slight update on this..... Brian will be installing new starter and new HD cables sometime next week, as well as getting fuel pressure numbers and compression numbers for me. Anyone that wants to help get with @GarnerFJ40 to see when he is doing it. He will also be doing some work on his black 80 and running a few tests on the OM616 he has for the 55. If people show up to work i'll shoot Brian some more cash to buy food and beer for workers. @lumbee1 you had asked so just letting you know. :cheers:

i've been talking to a bunch of people that have done 2fe builds, turbo builds on 3fe and a couple local LC guru's. I'm getting a spare 3fe head to start building with bigger better valves and get the intake manifold, exhaust manifold, head and TB ported, polished, bored what ever you want to call it. I have all the spare manifolds here I think in a box in storage.

Still reading through a lot of threads..... realistically the 3fe can make quite a bit of power. Its real limitation is the early untunable efi ecu. The chevy straight 6's that it is essentially based on can be made into power houses. But I am still aiming to use the stock ecu with the rising rate FPR and an extra injector in place of the cold start that fires once a certain boost is attained if needed. My ultimate goal down the line with this motor needs it to be pretty plug and play.

Last edited:
A couple videos from a Puerto Rican turbo 3fe build using a very similar set up and PSI (7).... They had a build thread on mud but haven't been on since so I tracked down their IG account to ask them some questions.

i'll have a 2f lower available for me to buy and snatch up after a guy I met in Tacoma is done taking the head off of it and throwing it on his other 2f.

That's all the update for now. Can't do too much myself till everything is here in front of me. So building the head is where i'll start on my end.

Al, could you bypass all the ECU issues by going aftermarket with something like megasquirt?

It would but I want to stay with the stock ecu. I want to keep this build a straight forward and simple as possible. I have long term plans for this engine past my 80. and want to make it as easy to transfer from one truck to another. :)

Thought about going H55 for the trans but I want to stay full time. Although the NW fab black box could be used as an adapter and a crawl box for that issue......... hmm...... I may need to drop by their show room next time im down that way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom