If you love something let it go...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slight update on this..... Brian will be installing new starter and new HD cables sometime next week, as well as getting fuel pressure numbers and compression numbers for me. Anyone that wants to help get with @GarnerFJ40 to see when he is doing it. He will also be doing some work on his black 80 and running a few tests on the OM616 he has for the 55. If people show up to work i'll shoot Brian some more cash to buy food and beer for workers. @lumbee1 you had asked so just letting you know. :cheers:

i've been talking to a bunch of people that have done 2fe builds, turbo builds on 3fe and a couple local LC guru's. I'm getting a spare 3fe head to start building with bigger better valves and get the intake manifold, exhaust manifold, head and TB ported, polished, bored what ever you want to call it. I have all the spare manifolds here I think in a box in storage.

Still reading through a lot of threads..... realistically the 3fe can make quite a bit of power. Its real limitation is the early untunable efi ecu. The chevy straight 6's that it is essentially based on can be made into power houses. But I am still aiming to use the stock ecu with the rising rate FPR and an extra injector in place of the cold start that fires once a certain boost is attained if needed. My ultimate goal down the line with this motor needs it to be pretty plug and play.
I reached out to @GarnerFJ40 with a PM on Oct 7th but haven't heard back.

Seems to fit here.... compounded by the fact that I can't check anything from this far away... LOL

1604338061580.jpeg

I'll be back in NC the 4th-13th of December to wrench on this thing some more.

So far Brian has swapped in my known good spare starter and my new cables, fusable link and junction block. No change, didn't think there was going to be but those parts had all seen better days and needed to be replaced anyway.

He is trying to find some time to test the fuel pressure and the compression.

I'll be doing that and some other trouble shooting when I get there if he hasn't been able to.

the 4th - 6th i'll be in Charlotte doing family stuff but back up in Raleigh after that.

right now I have a new HG to do a quick and sloppy job. Why quick and sloppy? Well I have a rebuilt 3fe that i'm picking up tomorrow so I don't really care at all about the engine in there I just want it to drive somewhat to get it on a transport, get it here and be able to move it around a bit before I drop the new motor and turbo in.

If anyone wants to swing by and lend a hand i'll buy beer and pizza, a HG job isn't very hard, like all OHV engines, but spare hands always make things go easier.

i've got a beat up 2f I need to go pick up at some point also to start the 2fe build in my spare time. Figure it will be a good way to teach Andrea about engines.

Edit: by quick and sloppy i mean just change the HG and slap the existing head back on. Not sending it out anywhere to get checked.

Last edited:
What day, the 12th? It'd be good to see you al, I should be able to swing by.

Not entirely sure really at this moment. I may be doing it all during the week. Depends on how much work, work I have going on. I'll let everyone know whats happening when I know more.

I'll find a night to have an impromptu drink with everyone though as well.

Got boxes of 3fe parts off of a local guy. Pretty much everything that bolts to a 3fe.

And finally got some stands and a hoist.

20201121_171417.jpg
20201121_171431.jpg
20201121_171440.jpg

Got it in the truck and out of the truck. Ill get it on the stand tomorrow when I figure out the correct bolt size

20201124_120446.jpg
20201124_120451.jpg
20201124_121717.jpg

Not too much happening here.

Got the 3fe on the stand an im taking count of all my spare parts I need to clean up.
Seems the only thing I'm missing is a starter and dizzy. There is one in a yard down in the valley so ill grab those and rebuild/clean them.

Trying to decide if I want the extra expense of going all toyota gaskets currently and if I want to send out these extra injectors for cleaning or if I want to update them with newer four hole injectors.

Looks like my new engine has a July 12th 1991 birthday according to the head. Im not sure how to decode the engine tag but its a later build number
20201201_184206.jpg
20201201_160917.jpg
20201201_184226.jpg
20201201_184230.jpg
20201201_184236.jpg
so im assuming they have always been together.

Pan is beat up a bit, will see if there is any clearance issues when I pull it.

20201201_154645.jpg
20201201_154651.jpg
20201201_154656.jpg

I just realized that witch hunter performance injectors is about 20 miles from here so i'm going to drop by and talk to him next time im in the area about my spare injector set.

I've read good and bad reviews about the 4 hole injectors sold on ebay so i'll most likely just clean up the stockers.

Well found out why the 80 won't start.

went to run compression numbers today figuring the two effected by the blown HG would be low.

Go to run the first one get a big fat zero.... HUH? Double..... triple check its connected right.... still zero.

Mark one as zero and decide to come back to it.

Move on to #2..... same thing.

Use a compressor on the gauge, gauge seems to be working fine.

Finger test #2....... feels like a 90 year old that has been smoking four packs a day is trying to breath softly on me.

Boroscope time.

Bummer, LS time 😏

Final numbers
#1 -0
#2 -0
#3 -0
#4 -148
#5 -150
#6 -165

Valves are moving from 4 back

Video of 4 after it uploads

Pulled valve cover to figure out what is going on.

Looks lovely like the day it rolled on the boat in Japan

20201205_142013.jpg

Bummer, LS time 😏

Lol

The rebuilt 3fe says otherwise lol.

Don't have the time swap with work and school. A 3fe swap in amd out is easy.

Break it in for a few thousand miles.

Turbo

Call it good for a while on engine while I do.skids, rear bumper, rack etc..... then decide if I still want to diesel or v8 swap.

The salty beach air killed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom