Suspension Lift Kits - 2020 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been searching a lot in the forums and can't really make a decision on a lift kit.
I hear a lot of good things about OME, Skyjacker, JT Outfitters, and Hell Creek. Has anyone tried the Dobinsons suspension? I had them on my 80 and really enjoyed the ride.

I'm looking to fit 35s on my BJ40 and will not wheel it.
If 35s are too complicated, 2.5in lift on 33s.

With many of the threads being old and some of the brands no longer making kits, which "current" vendors have the best kits available?

If I'm going to a 4 inch lift, what should I make sure gets addressed? (parts I need to replace)

I have a 4 inch Skyjacker, and 35's would be a problem. Might need to install cut out flares on the rear but if you aren't wheeling, I'd think it would be fine.

I have a 4 inch Skyjacker, and 35's would be a problem. Might need to install cut out flares on the rear but if you aren't wheeling, I'd think it would be fine.
Do you know if they have kits for the later models? I can't see kits for 1981 and newer, seems like the leafs are a bit longer.

I think they are the same suspension, so this should fit. I would email skyjacker and ask them directly.

I’ll be trying Dobinsons soon, but I’m going as low as I can (2.5”).

I think they are the same suspension, so this should fit. I would email skyjacker and ask them directly.

Will definitely have to call them. Only reason I ask is because Dobinsons lists the newer models with 35mm eyes instead of 25mm eyes. Not sure what that means exactly, but want to know before I buy lol

Don't blame you! Get in touch with Skyjacker, and I have had great customer service with 4 Wheel Parts 👍

Toyota changed from 25mm to 35mm eyes at a certain point, I believe it was 1980. I’ve read here that change allowed some commonality between the 40 series and 60 series suspension pieces IOT save on manufacturing costs.

Someone around here will know the exact date.

Last edited:
I'm looking to fit 35s on my BJ40 and will not wheel it.
1598985155055.png

Haha! This will be a nice mall crawler!!! Occasional road trip, but no heavy wheeling.
Too much of a precious machine to abuse it :(

Will that ol' diesel engine in your rig handle 35"s?

For the long term?

BTW, I'm running the 4" Skyjacker lift on my rig, 33"s, extended rear shackles, Bilstein shocks. I can't complain.

BTW, I'm running the 4" Skyjacker lift on my rig, 33"s, extended rear shackles, Bilstein shocks. I can't complain.
Do you have a picture? Would love to see how that looks.

Do you have a picture? Would love to see how that looks.

Browse through the tail end of my build thread, or look in the "what have you done to your 40 this week" thread, there are plenty of pics to be found of my rig.

Since we're on the subject, do you run anti-inversions on yours? I have the same 4 inch suspension. Do you think they are necessary?

I don't, I did, I might again.

I worked for a while to get the shackle angle correct and getting the leaf to flex all the way, I had longer anti'inversion shackles on it at one point but took them off for some shorter shackles that weren't the anti-inversion style. I would like to get some shackles that are a little stouter one way or another, anti-inversions or a dogbone style.

Browse through the tail end of my build thread, or look in the "what have you done to your 40 this week" thread, there are plenty of pics to be found of my rig.
Lovely! Doesn't look bad at all. If drivability is better with 33s I would definitely not mind.

What are the benefits of anti-inversion shackles?

I was actually looking at getting Bilstein Shocks, suspension components and fabricating my own leaf suspension since I am restoring it in Central America. Kinda hard to source a complete kit unless I purchase in the states and have it delivered down there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom