LED DRL and High Beam for LX and LC (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the ohms on the arcol are correct. I always got weird readings on the stock toyota one.

the weird picture is the daytime running lights both working at full battery voltage with the stock toyota resistor plugged in. That shouldn't be possible. Actually, either with the new harness plugged in or just wiring the morimoto straight to the 9005 stock connector at the car.

The voltage at 9 + or - is correct at both hot wires of the new harness with the new resistor

*red and black both sides go to the morimoto connectors. These are the ends of the new harness where one connector goes to the LED high beams and the other connector goes to the HID.

*on the other end of the harness that connects to the car's stock 9005 connectors..... the grey and black is the passenger side and the red and black on the drivers side.

*high beam right hand side fuse removed.

*On the passenger side, the black wire in the new harness (car side) lines up and is connected to the car’s red/yellow wire on the stock 9005 plug (high beam) verify that

*On the drivers side, the red on the new harness matches up with the red/green wire on the stock 9005 plug (high beam) verify that.

I'm thinking you got all that correct. I just put it here to check and make sure before thinking it's something else.
The tabs are set up to line up and connect in the correct orientation to the car's connectors, it's just a good idea to check.

The four female ends of the new harness- it shouldn't matter if they are mixed or matched regarding polarity, The one with the gray wire both sides is for the HID only.

Have you checked if your shutters pull down correctly with the harness plugged in - car not running, ignoring daytime running light behavior.

The gender of a connector is defined by the pins in the housing.

Here I'll say how the thing should work and what you should see.

The new resistor (new or old) completes the circuit for the daytime running lights. Should say it's wired inline with the ground, without it connected you shouldn't get any light from the LEDs, there won't be a ground for either side.

This is the best way to determine if your resistor is wired correctly. With your leads on the red and black ends of the new harness going to the morimotos you should have voltage or no voltage plugging and unplugging the new resistor. IT should be 8-10 volts with it connected and zero not connected. Car running, all lights off.

It shouldn't be possible to get different voltages on each side. The LEDs get equal voltage, HID shutters also. The ground is the resistor and the ground for the high beams is the common white/red wire. The switching occurs in the daytime running light relay.

The red wire on the drivers side is the hot wire connected to the red/green of the drivers side 9005 stock connector.
It then travels to the drivers side LED in the red and black wired plug, then there is a jumper to the HID positive(red) and the crosses over to the other side, Teed off to passenger HID + and LED +.

The black wire in the passenger side single end that connects to the passenger side 9005 stock plug (male).
That's the one side with the gray and black. The black is the ground, it lines up though the connector to the red/yellow stock wire.
That is the permanent ground for the daytime running lights. I say permanent because the harness makes it like that and the harness also forces the high beams to run on one hot wire and still share the common white red ground. Also it cuts off feeding battery voltage down the daytime running light ground, which is the way it's set up stock wise. That's the reason for removing the right hand high beam fuse.

Double check your polarity on everything, just in case.
message me your email, I'll send you something. I think it will help you. I'll put my number in there also.
I'm only guessing but I think something isn't plugged in the right place or possibly the resistor wiring or a swapped ground.
I'm assuming both harnesses did the exact same thing?
Check you line ups at the red/green and the red/yellow wires on the stock 9005 high beam connectors.
Check to voltage no voltage at the led plugs while plugging unplugging the resistor.
That will be the most telling thing. I think.

Thanks for the quick turn around @jerryb. Let me carve some time I'll email you with the answers and a basic schematic of wires/colors and connections plus voltage readings and we can go from there.

For anyone that doesn't know, this picture shows the high beam, also known as 9005, also known as hb3, female that I have in my hand.
the one below it is the male. they are defined by the terminals that go inside them. That is the tiny metal thing that connects to the wire that then grts pushed up into the plastic connector. Regardless of what the connector looks like, the gender is defined by the terminals that go inside it.

there is no OEM toyota male 9005 connector, repair harness or otherwise. That is because the male side of everything is going to be a bulb (in this case).

The stock toyota female 9005 is what is in your car that connects to the headlight bulbs.

the aftermarket male side of a 9005 is a generic thing, just like the picture. They are made, coincidentally so that they fit 9005 AND 9006 female stock manufacturer female connectors. Given that, they are a little bit sketchy. IF you ever find yourself connecting a male 9005 to a stock manufacturer 9005 or 9006 female connector in your car, use caution, the male pins are not 100% of the time going to line up correctly. Be gentle, don't force the connection. If in doubt look at them side by side face up. Check the spacing between the male pins.
If they need more, bend them apart a little bit. They will at most be .5 mm off but it will ruin your day if you trash those pins on accident.
This isn't a rant or anything, just trying to educate so you don't mess up an inexpensive harness made with not quite inexpensive supplies that takes a long time to build.
merry christmas everyone.

male female.jpg

feamle2.png

Last edited:
Both myself and @frogers935 dropped a few hundred bucks and could not get them to work. His conclusion is below.

" The 4Runner setup is for a PWM system which the LX/LC does not use. Our trucks just drop the voltage via the resistor to run at half brightness . I don't see a way of changing this without changing the DRL circuit"

So a new partial harness is not the fix

I think this is why the solution in the original post, from LB BuiltWerks, is the only option for an LED High Beam/DRL in my 2006 Land Cruiser. I had bought the Diode Dynamics SL1's for my low beams, and I'm happy with them, but the Diode Dynamic high beams would not work as a DRL because the SL1 high beam would need a PWM implementation to work as both high and DRL, they won't work with the voltage drop implementation in my LC. Am I correct here?

I think this is why the solution in the original post, from LB BuiltWerks, is the only option for an LED High Beam/DRL in my 2006 Land Cruiser. I had bought the Diode Dynamics SL1's for my low beams, and I'm happy with them, but the Diode Dynamic high beams would not work as a DRL because the SL1 high beam would need a PWM implementation to work as both high and DRL, they won't work with the voltage drop implementation in my LC. Am I correct here?
You may be correct... and did you know Luke111 is LBbuiltwerks? Yes the Morimoto 2Stroke solution we have will work on your truck.

. edit nvm. not the resistor.. i thought I had one in the car. ehh want the DRL to be white so badly.

Last edited:
So I have an 98 LX that I updated with @Luke111 supplied brackets and Morimoto H1 retrofit kit. The low beam's are now incredible - intense light, with sharp cut off. I also did the bi-xenon mod so the shield drops and the full lense is used for the high beams. I chose 3500k for my light temperature because I find soft white to be the perfect headlight color.

That has basically rendered my high beam (factory halogens) useless! Are there any upgrades to add a little more "throw" to the high beams? Sorry if this has already been discussed in the last few pages.

I made a post here

Looking for pics of LX daytime running light relays wire connections and colors. Specifically LX's that have not had the service campaign completed.

@LonghornLX did you ever get yours sorted, or ?? go look at the above thread and compare your vin range in case you possibly had the retrofit stock resistor at the dealer.

Yes mine is sorted now. I ran the updated dlr with the factory resistor for a couple of weeks (very intense bright dlr ) then switched back to Luke's provided resistor and things have been great since.

No further issues.

SSC special service campaign for LX daytime running light fix attached.
part number for the repair kit 04005-08160

1998 to early 2005 lexus LX. (05/2005 production date most likely) It says how many units were affected, I think 75000. Which is probably about all of them, at least all NA bound units.

vin ranges affected- see pic

That kit includes a jumper from the cars connector to the daytime running light relay, it's just an extension of three wires and one wire out with a connector on the end that would go to the new resistor. (also a stray ground white/black that gets screwed to the fender wall passenger side. It is gray in color where the original connector colors are black.
It is connected to the relay closest to the firewall. The daytime running light relay is actually two relays side by side. One is a six prong and the other four prong.
Also included is the stock resistor, the resistor mounting bracket, and probably two screws. I have not seen the kit. Also in the kit may or may not be an extra wire or terminal that goes under the main fuse box for the 2003-2005 years. I'm guessing body ecu, combo meter, or headlight stalk interaction. Not really applicable to getting LEDs in the 9005 spot. (far as I can tell)

I do not know if a dealer will still perform the service on any affected units that haven't been fixed yet.

the main take away is that with that kit you get the relay jumper that includes an extra wire with connector to the newly installed resistor.
and the mount for the same. This would be beneficial to someone that doesn't want to go pick out the 3a position wire on the relay and cut it and wire in Lou's resistor. I do not know how much the ssc part number costs, 04005-08160 I don't even know if that is still available.

If you don't want to spend money on that then pick out the correct wire on the daytime running light relay and wire in Lou's resistor. ONe end of the resistor to the cut wire going back into the relay and the other end of the resistor to any ground.
A velcro mount, zip ties, custom piece of aluminum, steel, etc. The mount holes are already there in the stock locating for the resistor mounting bracket. (that I've seen so far, -2002 year)

I wouldn't go to the dealer, but I'd love to see the relay jumper plug.

the only reason any of this matters is the want or need for LEDs in the high beam 9005 slot functioning as daytime running lights in the stock configuration for any year LX or LC.

LX vin ranges.jpg

Untitled2.png

Untitled1.png

daytime running light resistor location.jpg

Attachments

• daytime running light TSB for LX470.PDF
    657.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
In a nutshell @jerryb got his hands on a 2002 LX installed a set of the 2 Stroke LEDS, attached his harness and they work as a DRL and High Beam. I have another member who has the LED kit and a set of HID lights I built. The LEDS are not working yet but we believe it could be a faulty harness. I know a few of you with the earlier LX's have been waiting.....so we have one final test before we green light it and your truck has to have the above Special Service Campaign....stay tune for anyone interested.

Last edited:
SSC special service campaign for LX daytime running light fix attached.
part number for the repair kit 04005-08160

1998 to early 2005 lexus LX. (05/2005 production date most likely) It says how many units were affected, I think 75000. Which is probably about all of them, at least all NA bound units. I do not know if a dealer will still perform the service on any affected units that haven't been fixed yet. I do not know how much the ssc part number costs, 04005-08160 I don't even know if that is still available.
Just had mine done yesterday along with the airbag sensor assembly and steering fitting kit recall. All under warranty.

pretty cool they still have that kit and will still install it.

having them install that eliminates anyone having to mess with the relay if you really are insisting to have LEDs in the high beam slot that operate as DRLs.
I know it isn't a priority for most but it's pretty cool to have matching colored lights.

I finally decided to buy this LED kit to match the light color of my HID retrofitted low beam lamps. The installation was a breeze as @jerryb harness is put together with quality craftsmanship. It uses high grade wiring, is very well built and everything is plug and play. All wires in the harness are marked and self explanatory. I was very pleased with the directions and ease of installation of this kit. I read through Jerry's posts earlier in this thread where he detailed the wiring circuit specifics and helped other posters troubleshoot and work through issues to understand and prepare for the installation.

2 Stroke LED Install 1.jpg

I removed my original DRL resistor/bracket/cage, separated everything and then mounted @Luke111 supplied new resistor to the existing mounting bracket holes with a couple of 8-32 x 1/2" machine screws and associated hardware. I didn't worry about refitting the OEM heat shielding cage back onto the bracket since these shouldn't be running very hot.

2 StrokeLED Install 2.jpg

I began with the LED bulb harness installation on the passenger side where my HID relay harness and OEM connection now resides. This side is easy since it is way more accessible than the battery side of engine compartment. I removed the original HID harness splitters from the OEM connector and removed the high beam halogen bulb from the housing. The 2 stroke bulbs twisted in and appear to be a pretty snug fit and hopefully a good seal inside the housing port. I didn't use any silicone grease on the bulb seals but Lou does recommend putting dielectric grease on all connector terminals to weatherproof. I made a careful polarity examination of the stock high beam connector vs. LED harness connector wires (black on harness plug connects to red/yellow on OEM plug). It is a critical step to get these harness to OEM connectors installed with the polarity correct to avoid problems. The HID shutter/LED bulb connectors to harness splitters are not similarly polarity sensitive and can be swapped but everything on my harness mated up with the correct polarity as assembled. I made all connections on the supplied harness and tried to route everything in an organized fashion and tucked out of the way of potential damage.

2 Stroke LED Install 4.jpg

After sliding it in some flame retardant split wire loom, I routed the harness over to the driver's side of the engine bay running the bundle along the top of my radiator zip tying it to the OEM wire bundle and my HID relay harness already routed across there. I took time to change out my split rubber insulators on the A/C line brackets atop there with some universal style rubbers that I sourced from Amazon. They are a little taller than the damaged stock rubbers and allow for more room for the extra wiring to cross underneath without being pinched or smashing down on the wiring bundles. After removing the battery, old splitters and bulb, I followed the same procedure as the passenger's side except for making sure that the harness red wire connects to OEM high beam red/green wire when making connection to the stock light plug. I organized and secured everything and dropped the battery back into place to test the lights before securing everything.

2 stroke LED Install 5.jpg

The final step is to open the engine bay fuse box and remove the 20 amp right hand high beam fuse as it is no longer needed. I followed Jerry's advice and swapped the other side 20 amp high beam fuse with a 5 amp and made sure to have a few 7.5 amp spares just in case they were needed. The lights functioned perfectly in my LX when testing for lows/highs with the engine off and the DRLs fired right up when I cranked the engine. I shut it down and secured the battery then took time to zip tie the wire bundles as out of the way of harm as possible.

The fit and finish of the kit and the wiring is excellent and gives my LX an updated modern look as compared to the old yellow lighting. I love the output and color of the LEDs and now my high beams completely match the tone of my HIDs. Thanks to Lou and Jerry for putting in the work to make this upgrade a plug and play reality!!

Last edited:
@Luke111 Will this setup work in the 1 piece Depo housings that use an H7 style bulb?
TRS sells H7 LED's and the DRL runs through the HB.... it should work if your truck has the OEM DRL resistor....I can sell you our resistor and harness if and when you're ready.....if it doesn't work out.. I'll refund the funds as long as you cover shipping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom