LED DRL and High Beam for LX and LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TRS sells H7 LED's and the DRL runs through the HB.... it should work if your truck has the OEM DRL resistor....I can sell you our resistor and harness if and when you're ready.....if it doesn't work out.. I'll refund the funds as long as you cover shipping
It appears that my 05 LC is missing the oem resistor. I don’t see anything that looks like the caged unit from other pics. Is there somewhere else to look for it?

@Luke111 After re-reading the thread again, it looks like I can put the resistor in line of the A3 terminal on the DRL relay since it appears that I don't have the OEM resistor in my '05 LC. I have a set of H7 Morimoto 2Strokes from TRS that will work with my 1 piece Depo housings that have an HID bi-xenon retrofit for the low beam so I would only require the resistor and harness. Let me know the best way to proceed purchasing just the harness and resistor. Thanks for your help.

@jerryb I'm having problems with my DRL's and/or low beams flickering or "pulsating". Do you know what may cause this?
Did you do both the HID retrofit and the LED DRL ? You need to determine if it's DRL or low beam and if it's just one bulb or both sides. What year and LX or LC?

Did you do both the HID retrofit and the LED DRL ? You need to determine if it's DRL or low beam and if it's just one bulb or both sides. What year and LX or LC?
No. Hid retrofit only. It's both sides but I do need to check and make sure it is low beam versus DRL.

i
No. Hid retrofit only. It's both sides but I do need to check and make sure it is low beam versus DRL.
It's most likely in the HID system. figure out what side and work on that side, first swap the ballast.. if it's still flickering swap ingniters and if it's still flickering it's the bulb

SSC special service campaign for LX daytime running light fix attached.
part number for the repair kit 04005-08160

1998 to early 2005 lexus LX. (05/2005 production date most likely) It says how many units were affected, I think 75000. Which is probably about all of them, at least all NA bound units.

vin ranges affected- see pic

That kit includes a jumper from the cars connector to the daytime running light relay, it's just an extension of three wires and one wire out with a connector on the end that would go to the new resistor. (also a stray ground white/black that gets screwed to the fender wall passenger side. It is gray in color where the original connector colors are black.
It is connected to the relay closest to the firewall. The daytime running light relay is actually two relays side by side. One is a six prong and the other four prong.
Also included is the stock resistor, the resistor mounting bracket, and probably two screws. I have not seen the kit. Also in the kit may or may not be an extra wire or terminal that goes under the main fuse box for the 2003-2005 years. I'm guessing body ecu, combo meter, or headlight stalk interaction. Not really applicable to getting LEDs in the 9005 spot. (far as I can tell)

I do not know if a dealer will still perform the service on any affected units that haven't been fixed yet.

the main take away is that with that kit you get the relay jumper that includes an extra wire with connector to the newly installed resistor.
and the mount for the same. This would be beneficial to someone that doesn't want to go pick out the 3a position wire on the relay and cut it and wire in Lou's resistor. I do not know how much the ssc part number costs, 04005-08160 I don't even know if that is still available.

If you don't want to spend money on that then pick out the correct wire on the daytime running light relay and wire in Lou's resistor. ONe end of the resistor to the cut wire going back into the relay and the other end of the resistor to any ground.
A velcro mount, zip ties, custom piece of aluminum, steel, etc. The mount holes are already there in the stock locating for the resistor mounting bracket. (that I've seen so far, -2002 year)

I wouldn't go to the dealer, but I'd love to see the relay jumper plug.

the only reason any of this matters is the want or need for LEDs in the high beam 9005 slot functioning as daytime running lights in the stock configuration for any year LX or LC.

View attachment 2239151

View attachment 2239154

View attachment 2239155
@jerryb Can you confirm the best way to pick out the 3A wire from the DRL relay? My 05 TLC does not have the OEM resistor from what I can tell so I am looking for the best way to identify the 3A wire on the DRL relay for the LED resistor. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 1.50.06 PM.png

Last edited:
Take the relay apart. Not to sound like a dick or anything.

Having the fsm and wiring book helps. But you can use that one page posted and do some digging.
The exact wire is pictured somewhere on mud. To bad it's not pink instead of white black.

If you can, disconnect each ground with the car running and daytime running lights on one at a time until the daytime running lights go off.
That's the one.
I'd search pictures on here for a while before I de pinned anything, or cut.

Take the relay apart. Not to sound like a dick or anything.

Having the fsm and wiring book helps. But you can use that one page posted and do some digging.
The exact wire is pictured somewhere on mud. To bad it's not pink instead of white black.

If you can, disconnect each ground with the car running and daytime running lights on one at a time until the daytime running lights go off.
That's the one.
I'd search pictures on here for a while before I de pinned anything, or cut.
I disconnected the relay but didn't see anything that called out which pin was which. I will test the grounds. Thanks.

If a connector is clean enough, all the ones in the car should have very tiny numbers on the inside or outside face where the halves meet, or by the flat where the wires go in on either side.
I will look for a pic.

i

It's most likely in the HID system. figure out what side and work on that side, first swap the ballast.. if it's still flickering swap ingniters and if it's still flickering it's the bulb
Sooo, my battery died a few days ago. Got a new one and the problem went away, so I am guessing that was the issue. How do I go about getting some low beams to match the high beams that I got from you for my LX?

Sooo, my battery died a few days ago. Got a new one and the problem went away, so I am guessing that was the issue. How do I go about getting some low beams to match the high beams that I got from you for my LX?
I'm confused.. you said you have HID's which would be your low beams...Give me a call 703-371-8494

If a connector is clean enough, all the ones in the car should have very tiny numbers on the inside or outside face where the halves meet, or by the flat where the wires go in on either side.
I will look for a pic.
Thanks @jerryb I double checked the relay and with some better lighting and found the tiny numbers stamped on the connector. I also found this post that has a diagram of the connectors:

@Luke111 hooked me up with a harness and a bare resistor that I spliced into the A3 wire. Removed the RH Upper 20A fuse as directed and the DRLs are working great. Thanks guys for all your help.

Thanks @jerryb I double checked the relay and with some better lighting and found the tiny numbers stamped on the connector. I also found this post that has a diagram of the connectors:

@Luke111 hooked me up with a harness and a bare resistor that I spliced into the A3 wire. Removed the RH Upper 20A fuse as directed and the DRLs are working great. Thanks guys for all your help.
Happy to help and it’s great information for anyone without a OEM DRL resistor looking to do this mod.

I've been running the Morimoto 2stroke LED in the DRL/high beam for a year now with some D2S HID retrofits in a 1-piece Depo housing. @Luke111 and @jerryb were very helpful with the wiring harness and resistor to get it all working. My DRL/high beams are slightly out of alignment while my HIDs are aligned. I figured the holes I drilled for the HID retrofit were slightly different so when I went to adjust the HID beams, one housing had to be adjusted higher than the other to get them to line up.

I am wondering if anyone has considered the Morimoto high beam projectors for their project? I like the instant-on of the LED high beams since I am often toggling back and forth and HID highs may not have time to warm up. I would hope that I could aim the projector itself to help fix my alignment issue in one of the housings. I am also hopeful this would help improve the light pattern of the high beam.

I've been running the Morimoto 2stroke LED in the DRL/high beam for a year now with some D2S HID retrofits in a 1-piece Depo housing. @Luke111 and @jerryb were very helpful with the wiring harness and resistor to get it all working. My DRL/high beams are slightly out of alignment while my HIDs are aligned. I figured the holes I drilled for the HID retrofit were slightly different so when I went to adjust the HID beams, one housing had to be adjusted higher than the other to get them to line up.

I am wondering if anyone has considered the Morimoto high beam projectors for their project? I like the instant-on of the LED high beams since I am often toggling back and forth and HID highs may not have time to warm up. I would hope that I could aim the projector itself to help fix my alignment issue in one of the housings. I am also hopeful this would help improve the light pattern of the high beam.

it has been a while since I did this mod, but I think there is a mechanism that connects and indexes the high and low beam up and down adjustment. You can remove it and adjust high and low beams independently. I had a similar issue with the high beams not being quite level and just left the indexing mechanism off.

Not my photos, but this is the piece you can remove to gain independent adjustment.
74E0831E-EDCA-43DC-905D-C2528D0BA4B4.png

0D392342-72CF-49A1-A148-DCA223DDAC39.png

So, your HID projectors and the LED bulbs sit in the same reflector? If you didn’t JB Weld the projector it would be easier to fix and align the one projector. Yes LED’s are instant on but there isn’t a HID HB that needs to warm up, it’s the same bulb, the shield simply drops opening up the projector when you toggle to high beams. So they are instant. Adding the HB LED which has a threaded shaft will require you to drill two more holes, bake and open up both headlights. Now you have to align those two projectors to the HID’s. It’s a big job and you’re not gonna get more output.
If the alignment bothers you, fix the one headlight, much easier and simple.

it has been a while since I did this mod, but I think there is a mechanism that connects and indexes the high and low beam up and down adjustment. You can remove it and adjust high and low beams independently. I had a similar issue with the high beams not being quite level and just left the indexing mechanism off.

Not my photos, but this is the piece you can remove to gain independent adjustment.
View attachment 3214986
View attachment 3214987
That’s the back of a LX… he has one piece Depos so I’m assuming it’s a LC

Just did this today!
Used Luke111s resistor spliced into the 3A black and white wire on the 6pin relay, and bam. Worked like a charm to dim the Morimoto 2stoke bulbs 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom