Builds Tex's 2019 GX460 build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll get pics of the entire truck tomorrow when there's better lighting outside, but here's a little teaser of the Foam Cell Pro kit and TC UCA's. The ride is 98% as smooth as stock but with almost no brake dive, it feels sportier. All driving so far has been on road at highway speeds. For daily driving these fit the bill, I'm looking forward to getting it off-road to see how they perform there too!

gZ1GX6y.jpg

Got out this morning and snapped a few pics post lift. I will say this about the ride, while it is slightly stiffer than stock (as to be expected) it is still very comfortable and far smoother and more compliant than any of the 4Runner's we've ever owned, stock or modified. No brake dive, a sportier feel to the handling and all of the great attributes of KDSS retained.

QHd7XTX.jpg

Ok2h7LK.jpg

Duggy's Garage in Houston did the work and they knocked it out fast. A promotion a few months back on the Ironman Foam Cell Pro kits made it a no brainer to save some money and go this route instead of the originally planned King's. The savings coupled with the fact that this vehicle will still be driven daily and see a lot of highway use I wanted as comfortable of a ride as possible and less maintenance than what the King's consisted of. I feel like we got all of that with this kit and with the adjustability and option to rebuild/service when needed. The Foam Cell shocks are massive in diameter. I went with Total Chaos UCA's because they've never failed me in the past.

VV2ATRM.jpg

QQ1hsfO.jpg

pfFcKBf.jpg

The end result left us with 1/4-3/8" of KDSS lean on the rear passengers side, not as bad as some but still a little disappointing. I am not sure why these vehicles struggle with that even when the system is opened properly during install. Duc left about 1/2" of adjustability on the front so that we can crank the coil overs up a tad more when we move over to the 285's and the front bumper. The rear should settle in the coming weeks kicking some of the ass high look.

It amazes me how much plastic body clad crap is on these vehicles, it really masks the height, clearance and break over angles of these vehicles and quite honestly makes it kind of difficult to tell that the vehicle has been lifted at all. With that said, that is just another reason why I should move forward quickly with the sliders and front bumper. Has anyone trimmed the bottom and sides of the front bumper on a 2014+?

NsvaTcG.jpg

Gkb5506.jpg

haHxBUy.jpg

As of right now I will run the 255/70/18's on the stock wheels and eventually move over to the 285/70/17's once we get the rest of the parts for stage two of the build (sliders, bumper, winch, drawers). I test fit one of the 285's on the front just to see how it would look. I was initially concerned as I had originally bought this wheel/tire set for our black TRD Pro 4Runner and I wasn't sure whether or not they would look good on the white GX, but I think they will look great on there. Other than the 285's being wider (also on a wider wheel) there isn't a whole hell of a lot of height difference between the 255/70/18 and the 285/70/17. I was surprised to see how very little difference there is between the two which also made me question whether or not it's worth putting them on, maybe I should just run some wheel spacers with the current 255's and stock wheels instead?!

AYYHBq3.jpg

pP9zWP2.jpg

QaYJTLx.jpg

Hopefully I can get her off-road later this week to see how she does off pavement and if nothing else I can hit the beach and see the difference there at speed in that terrain. Up next are the sliders, drawers, front bumper and winch, LRA 33 gallon auxiliary fuel tank and hopefully I'll get around to installing the MTS and Crawl Control modules as well. Now if only someone would make a respectable rear bumper and tire carrier that compliments the look of the GX.

Last edited:
Looks great! Have you decided on the bumper you're going with?

Thanks! It's a little mild for my taste but it's progress. No on the bumper, I've narrowed it down to the Prado 150 ARB or the CBI GXOR Hybrid. Leaning ARB at the moment.

Thanks! It's a little mild for my taste but it's progress. No on the bumper, I've narrowed it down to the Prado 150 ARB or the CBI GXOR Hybrid. Leaning ARB at the moment.

Nice, yeah I am still debating myself. Think I'll enjoy my rig as it is for awhile and decide once the CBI is finished, but also starting to lean towards the arb myself.

You don't really have 6" of lift!!!
NO FAIR!!! In the last picture I can SEE THE JACK LIFTING YOUR GX!!!! :rofl:

You don't really have 6" of lift!!!
NO FAIR!!! In the last picture I can SEE THE JACK LIFTING YOUR GX!!!! :rofl:

Haha, yea I was jacking it back up to full droop in order to get the bigger wheel/tire off lol. That would be too much lift on these vehicles lol. #daretodream

Nice, yeah I am still debating myself. Think I'll enjoy my rig as it is for awhile and decide once the CBI is finished, but also starting to lean towards the arb myself.

I think I am 99% sold on the ARB.

More grip is what you're aiming for on the larger tire. Compare the treads between the two.

For sure, but it comes at the cost of added rolling resistance, weight, wear and tear on the driveline, reduced fuel economy, etc. Rotational mass is a force. Odds are I'll end up putting the 285's on but I am in no hurry to do so other than for the improved aesthetics.

For sure, but it comes at the cost of added rolling resistance, weight, wear and tear on the driveline, reduced fuel economy, etc. Rotational mass is a force. Odds are I'll end up putting the 285's on but I am in no hurry to do so other than for the improved aesthetics.
Smart man. All these reasons as to why I'm running the 265/70/18 Ridge Grappler in standard load. Pretty much the largest tire I could find with a SL rating. Rides wonderfully.

I hit the beach early this morning to catch the tide just right. The local surf hounds were out at "the spot" waiting for things to get crisp. The GX did great, it feels better in the soft/loose sand with the Ironman FCP's, I think the firmer suspension keeps the front end brake dive to a minimum which reduces the dive and push effect in the soft stuff. Very pleased with how they handle the rolling sand at 40-50 mph. I can't wait to get the bigger tires, bumper, and sliders on, it still looks too much like a fancy soccer mom rig.

A few pics from my morning stroll on the beach down in Matagorda, TX:

GIWW Lock @ Matagorda and the Colorado River

SYUPAew.jpg

East Matagorda Bay just after sunrise

HLeiu6x.jpg

Low tide

urPFxy0.jpg

cZPegha.jpg

ZLRpDM6.jpg

aRJY1Tr.jpg

Heading north to the back lake trail access

XafckBt.jpg

Surf bums

YoOxruR.jpg

o88cJqT.jpg

MovYRM0.jpg

0SllyHz.jpg

Nugget

Gp8zJNB.jpg

1987 FJ60

2YvTLQz.jpg

Heading out

ALzA0nZ.jpg

qVf2zeT.jpg

b86LyUI.jpg

jvne1yP.jpg

GIWW looking north

Up6ePnG.jpg

Matagorda Marina

5CtD0a4.jpg

Mine handled really well at Pismo Beach last year. One of the few places we can still drive on the beach in CA. I did get stuck, purposely, just to see how the lockers and all worked. Piece of cake getting unstuck!

Mine handled really well at Pismo Beach last year. One of the few places we can still drive on the beach in CA. I did get stuck, purposely, just to see how the lockers and all worked. Piece of cake getting unstuck!

Luckily I have this 15 minutes from my driveway so I visit often to fish, run the beach on the 450 or in the truck and for other water related activities. We camp out down there often as well. 21 miles (one direction) of rural gulf front beach with some nice back lake trails on the inland side of the dunes (beach front is an island with the bay in-between the beach and the GIWW). The best part is that it only costs $10 (permit) for the entire calendar year.

Reactions: r2m
I'm only about 100 yards from the beach, but it's all hard top parking... But we do get some good surf, so my family and I love being able to walk on down and catch a few waves.

Last edited:
I finally figured out how long of a M6 socket allen head bolt I needed in conjunction with the spacer and washer in order to get the RAM ball spaced out from the handle correctly. I'll likely use it for the phone cradle more than anything but I might add a second one above it or over on the passenger side for the Garmin.

SrP7FpX.jpg

pObcbK1.jpg

After weighing it all out on paper and considering what my money was actually getting me, I ended up pulling the trigger on the Ironman Premium front bumper. I should have it here by the end of next week. Now I need to pick a winch and figure out where I need to mount the winch control box, any ideas/suggestions?

I finally figured out how long of a M6 socket allen head bolt I needed in conjunction with the spacer and washer in order to get the RAM ball spaced out from the handle correctly. I'll likely use it for the phone cradle more than anything but I might add a second one above it or over on the passenger side for the Garmin.

SrP7FpX.jpg

pObcbK1.jpg
Tex,
I'd love more info on this set-up. I've been looking for a good phone mount option that doesn't involve suction cups or A/C clips. Thanks!!

Tex,
I'd love more info on this set-up. I've been looking for a good phone mount option that doesn't involve suction cups or A/C clips. Thanks!!

I used the RAM B-367U ball mount, a 6x60mm hex socket head cap screw and a steel spacer 10mm long with an ID of 6.25mm and then a flat washer. This setup clearances the handle just by the bare minimum but keeps it very close and compact. Should you need to space the ball out further you can do so with a longer spacer or simply use three nuts and a 65 or 70mm long screw instead.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom