Builds Tex's 2019 GX460 build (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a trip planned out to Big Bend next month to ride dirt bikes/dual sports with some buddies and I am taking the GX along with two other friends. I still can't believe that there aren't any USB or 12V outlets in the second row and that's simply unacceptable for the back seat passenger(s) on a 8-10 hour drive. I started installing the dual USB port on the back of the center console facia in order to rectify this injustice lol. I plan to wire it up by the end of the week. It's a cheap and easy mod to add but it should be standard from the factory like the Asian and Euro markets get.

UpL12Yr.jpg

SC03MEq.jpg

I did the exact same thing on my rig! I have mine wired straight to my aux battery (with a fuse off course). This way I have constant "on" power if I leave my phone or tablet in the car to charge while I'm away. Don't need to worry about leaving the ignition on to charge.

I did the exact same thing on my rig! I have mine wired straight to my aux battery (with a fuse off course). This way I have constant "on" power if I leave my phone or tablet in the car to charge while I'm away. Don't need to worry about leaving the ignition on to charge.

I’ll do the same once I go dual battery in April, for now it’ll be fine to run only on switched power via a fused connection in the fuse box.

Rear seat dual USB has been wired and we now have back seat POWAHHHHH!!! Hopefully the misses will be happy when she uses it occasionally for her carpool to work. One of her former co-workers made a comment once about how disappointed she was that Lexus didn't have charging ports in the rear seats, I totally agree with her haha. This should go over well for the back seat passengers on our way to Big Bend in a few weeks.

I ran the ground to the transmission mount.

QrkUiPm.jpg

Similar to how I powered my ARB Dual Compressor, I used a add-a-circuit fuse ran to an open spot on the fuse box under the steering column.

TYIwlHT.jpg

All connections were crimped and covered with heat shrink. There is plenty of room between the facia panel and the interior rear of the console for straight connections and excess wiring harness.

BPuseqe.jpg

It doesn't look OEM factory, but it's clean and good enough by me.

FkrtDRY.jpg

EhTmadi.jpg

fQluAHg.jpg

Last edited:
Good-lookin’ build!
I am back in a GX (2017; Luxury; Silver Sky / Sepia) after enjoying a RAM Power Wagon for awhile. I’m looking to add tires - likely Nitto Ridge Grapplers. However, I can’t decide on the size and wondered how you went about deciding for your build and if you considered other tires besides the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Factory size per my wheels is 265/60/r18. I’m not looking to add a lift or spacers any time soon. So, what size would you go with? 265/65, 265/70, 285/65, 285/70? Would anything larger than 65 cause too much wear and speedometer discrepancy? Thanks for allowing me to ask a question in your build thread. Definitely going to add the USB ports too!

Test fit just to see how it'll look prior to sliders, bumper, and bumping the front up another 1/2". Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70/17 on SCS SR8 17x8.5" with 4.30" BS and -10mm

Last edited:
Good-lookin’ build!
I am back in a GX (2017; Luxury; Silver Sky / Sepia) after enjoying a RAM Power Wagon for awhile. I’m looking to add tires - likely Nitto Ridge Grapplers. However, I can’t decide on the size and wondered how you went about deciding for your build and if you considered other tires besides the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Factory size per my wheels is 265/60/r18. I’m not looking to add a lift or spacers any time soon. So, what size would you go with? 265/65, 265/70, 285/65, 285/70? Would anything larger than 65 cause too much wear and speedometer discrepancy? Thanks for allowing me to ask a question in your build thread. Definitely going to add the USB ports too!

Good to hear, it's quite a difference. At times I miss the Power Wagon, but I always miss having a diesel Super Duty around more and I'll likely find my way back into one sooner or later but it'll be used for business/work more than anything. The GX is here for the long haul (hence the build) and the LX will either stick around or get replaced with a Land Cruiser or some other full-size SUV of the misses preference.

I ran 255/70/18's on my GX when it was stock and they did well with only the occasional rub at extreme off-camber angles, but they aren't a very common size. That said, they can be had in Nitto RG's. A 285/60/18 would be an easy move and size to run without issue. I like the Ridge Grappler, but I don't love it. I prefer the BFG AT KO2 over it and I'd take a Toyo RT any day over either of those, but they are heavier and more expensive. There are so many good options in the all-terrain and hybrid tire market these days that it makes it very difficult to decide. Size, availability, budget, tread design, weight, tread life, etc. all factor and you have to decide which are more important to you and go from there.

In regards to speedometer discrepancy I never saw more than a 1-1.5 mph difference at 70 when I was running the 255's which IMHO wasn't enough to be concerned about in the least. With the 285/70's I run now I see a 2 mph difference at 70 and again I don't bother with it.

Good to hear, it's quite a difference. At times I miss the Power Wagon, but I always miss having a diesel Super Duty around more and I'll likely find my way back into one sooner or later but it'll be used for business/work more than anything. The GX is here for the long haul (hence the build) and the LX will either stick around or get replaced with a Land Cruiser or some other full-size SUV of the misses preference.

I ran 255/70/18's on my GX when it was stock and they did well with only the occasional rub at extreme off-camber angles, but they aren't a very common size. That said, they can be had in Nitto RG's. A 285/60/18 would be an easy move and size to run without issue. I like the Ridge Grappler, but I don't love it. I prefer the BFG AT KO2 over it and I'd take a Toyo RT any day over either of those, but they are heavier and more expensive. There are so many good options in the all-terrain and hybrid tire market these days that it makes it very difficult to decide. Size, availability, budget, tread design, weight, tread life, etc. all factor and you have to decide which are more important to you and go from there.

In regards to speedometer discrepancy I never saw more than a 1-1.5 mph difference at 70 when I was running the 255's which IMHO wasn't enough to be concerned about in the least. With the 285/70's I run now I see a 2 mph difference at 70 and again I don't bother with it.
Thanks so much for the helpful reply, Tex68W!

Yes, the ‘19 Power Wagon is a sweet, amazing truck. I just wasn’t using it as intended and decided having more rear interior cargo space and 19 mpg vs 11 mpg for a lot of highway driving was better. I agree re a diesel too. I’ve had a newer 2500 mega cab with a Cummins. Sublime.

Getting back to the GX, I’m also liking the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W’s. As you said, a lot of good choices (I’ve had KO2’s on an FJC). Per size, I’m leaning towards a 275/65/18.

Thanks again for your guidance; I look forward to keeping up with your build!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the helpful reply, Tex68W!

Yes, the ‘19 Power Wagon is a sweet, amazing truck. I just wasn’t using it as intended and decided having more rear interior cargo space and 19 mph vs 11 mpg for a lot of highway driving was better. I agree re a diesel too. I’ve had a newer 2500 mega cab with a Cummins. Sublime.

Getting back to the GX, I’m also liking the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W’s. As you said, a lot to good choices (I’ve had KO2’s on an FJC). Per size, I’m leaning towards a 275/65/18.

Thanks again for your guidance; I look forward to keeping up with your build!

Agreed, they are great trucks and if you use them as intended it's impossible to beat for the money. I just wish they'd make one with a diesel but like they've said for years now, it's not going to happen for a myriad of reasons. In that case I'd rather go back to the Ford which I prefer the cab of and handling better. My father still has the rare desert tan special edition PW they did in 2018 and it's in great shape with less than 10K miles, should I get the itch to buy another I'd have a hard time not taking that one off of his hands versus a new 5th Gen.

I'll admit that a large part of the reason why I sold mine was due to the awful fuel economy. I'd get 13ish on the highway, 11 mpg around town and if towing it'd do 9-10 mpg. There were a few times we took her down the beach and when it got soft I'd see as low as 6 mpg with the FWC in the back, that's atrocious. It made it nearly impossible to use it for long haul off-road/overland trips without carrying extra fuel or exploring an aux fuel tank and those are rare for gassers. 37's are what those trucks should be on given their size and design, you could likely get slightly better fuel economy on 35's but it doesn't look right and now guys are running 40's on them as the norm.

The Falken Wildpeak A/T3W is an extremely popular tire with the Toyota crowd so that's a good choice. My buddy has been running them on his 200 series for a while now and raves about them and their price point is spectacular.

My 33 gallon LRA auxiliary fuel tank shipped out today. Hopefully I can get it installed in the next few weeks. I am looking forward to having 56 gallons of fuel onboard and a range of 800-900 miles on a single tank. This will be a game changer for multi-day trips in the bush and cross country travel in the more remote areas of the country. I am not sure, but I think this might end up being the first one installed on a GX460 in the country!?

My 33 gallon LRA auxiliary fuel tank shipped out today. Hopefully I can get it installed in the next few weeks. I am looking forward to having 56 gallons of fuel onboard and a range of 800-900 miles on a single tank. This will be a game changer for multi-day trips in the bush and cross country travel in the more remote areas of the country. I am not sure, but I think this might end up being the first one installed on a GX460 in the country!?

that is an awesome modification. I would love to have it also but they are not selling it to California folks. Looking forward to hearing your feedback on how it will affect your suspension and ride.

A friend of mine here in VA just had Main Line Overland install the LRA in his 2019. He's had the tank almost two weeks now. He is definitely enjoying 700+ mile ranges between fillups.

that is an awesome modification. I would love to have it also but they are not selling it to California folks. Looking forward to hearing your feedback on how it will affect your suspension and ride.

Yea I noticed that, maybe go have it installed over the border in another state? I already have the +0-220lb rear springs installed so I am hoping that will be enough to offset the additional weight for now.

A friend of mine here in VA just had Main Line Overland install the LRA in his 2019. He's had the tank almost two weeks now. He is definitely enjoying 700+ mile ranges between fillups.

Awesome! So I'll be the second then haha.

IMHO the BIGGEST waist of time in the day of my life is spent at a fuel pump....
If I could go a month or so without pulling into a gas station and filling up, I'd do it.
On road trips, it still wouldn't help since I'm in a house full of girls, and girls ALWAYS have to potty stop every 100-150 miles or so.
And anyways.... Here in CA, we can't bolt on an aux tank, so it's a non-issue for me. :(

I’d rather deal with someone giving me the stink eye every few weeks for a few minutes as I fill up at one price than to deal with pulling in twice a week. Either way it’s a first world luxury and fill up time or angry ***** at the pump aren’t what this mod is about.

Being able to run PINS without carrying extra fuel, heading out into Big Bend for a week without worry, or high tailing it half way across the country from Texas to Phoenix in one tank are more in line with the reasoning here. I like the idea of not having to accommodate the carry of Jerry cans or Rotopax and the associated swing out mounts or roof rack mounts that come with it. Oh, and simply because I can lol.

With those aux tanks you can pick when and where to fill though. Also, I heard they are working on a California version.

LRA Tank

Look at Kal Lee's post.

This was my load for Big Bend, trailer (12'x6'7" with folding gate) is roughly 1,300lbs, three bikes at roughly 950lbs. Another 150lbs in gear/fuel/chocks on the trailer and three grown men plus all of our riding gear and bags for five days (lets call that another 750lbs) for a total of just over 3,000lbs. The truck is lifted 2.5-3" on 285/70's with stock gearing, traveling on relatively flat terrain under 1000ft ASL at 70mph we were getting 10-11mpg, I thought that was just ok but pretty much as to be expected. As we reached west Texas and started climbing in altitude over and through the mountains and passes we dropped significantly to an average of 8-9mpg and we saw as low as 7.8mpg average on one tank coming back.

I am glad that I am adding the LRA 33gal aux fuel tank (it would have already been installed if not for this current state of affairs) and it would have helped quite a bit on this trip to lessen the fuel stops and keep the higher dollar west Texas fuel prices to a minimum. That said, I don't foresee myself doing any long distance hauling with it in the future after these results, those numbers are pretty bad IMHO. Granted these trips aren't the norm and when using the currently cheap 87 RUG you can absorb the bad mileage, but when covering 1,400 miles it certainly has an impact. My around town average is 15-15.5mpg and on the highway I usually see 16-17.5mpg, so getting 60% less on one tank on the way home was eye opening. I've towed a ton over the years with 3/4-ton and 1-ton diesels so I am aware of what to expect, but for some reason I had higher hopes considering that this load was only half of what the truck is rated for.

With all of that said, I have to admit that I was impressed with how effortlessly the GX towed this load. There was no swaying, hopping, pushing, or skittering and at times I forgot the load was even back there. It was noticeable when climbing some of the 10+ degree grades but that is to be expected. The GX is a night and day improvement over the 5th Gen in this category and for that I am grateful. One perk was that we were all much more comfortable in the GX on this trip when compared to my buddies RAM 2500 diesel 4x4 we usually travel in. The quieter cabin certainly helped on the stress levels and allowed for us to more easily carry on conversations while traveling, every single one of us mentioned this along the way.

I am sure that we could have improved those fuel economy numbers had we slowed down to 60-65mph but on the interstate (where you get run over doing anything less than the speed limit of 75mph) and when covering 9-9.5 hours one direction it simply wasn't an option given our time frame. And quite honestly, the 1-2mpg improvement we might have seen by slowing down simply wouldn't be worth the time added to the trip. Overall, it wasn't a bad trip with this load, just crappier fuel economy than expected, I will be installing the RedArc electronic brake controller in the future should we do anymore trips towing with it.

z2kx8IK.jpg

This was my load for Big Bend, trailer (12'x6'7" with folding gate) is roughly 1,300lbs, three bikes at roughly 950lbs. Another 150lbs in gear/fuel/chocks on the trailer and three grown men plus all of our riding gear and bags for five days (lets call that another 750lbs) for a total of just over 3,000lbs. The truck is lifted 2.5-3" on 285/70's with stock gearing, traveling on relatively flat terrain under 1000ft ASL at 70mph we were getting 10-11mpg, I thought that was just ok but pretty much as to be expected. As we reached west Texas and started climbing in altitude over and through the mountains and passes we dropped significantly to an average of 8-9mpg and we saw as low as 7.8mpg average on one tank coming back.

I am glad that I am adding the LRA 33gal aux fuel tank (it would have already been installed if not for this current state of affairs) and it would have helped quite a bit on this trip to lessen the fuel stops and keep the higher dollar west Texas fuel prices to a minimum. That said, I don't foresee myself doing any long distance hauling with it in the future after these results, those numbers are pretty bad IMHO. Granted these trips aren't the norm and when using the currently cheap 87 RUG you can absorb the bad mileage, but when covering 1,400 miles it certainly has an impact. My around town average is 15-15.5mpg and on the highway I usually see 16-17.5mpg, so getting 60% less on one tank on the way home was eye opening. I've towed a ton over the years with 3/4-ton and 1-ton diesels so I am aware of what to expect, but for some reason I had higher hopes considering that this load was only half of what the truck is rated for.

With all of that said, I have to admit that I was impressed with how effortlessly the GX towed this load. There was no swaying, hopping, pushing, or skittering and at times I forgot the load was even back there. It was noticeable when climbing some of the 10+ degree grades but that is to be expected. The GX is a night and day improvement over the 5th Gen in this category and for that I am grateful. One perk was that we were all much more comfortable in the GX on this trip when compared to my buddies RAM 2500 diesel 4x4 we usually travel in. The quieter cabin certainly helped on the stress levels and allowed for us to more easily carry on conversations while traveling, every single one of us mentioned this along the way.

I am sure that we could have improved those fuel economy numbers had we slowed down to 60-65mph but on the interstate (where you get run over doing anything less than the speed limit of 75mph) and when covering 9-9.5 hours one direction it simply wasn't an option given our time frame. And quite honestly, the 1-2mpg improvement we might have seen by slowing down simply wouldn't be worth the time added to the trip. Overall, it wasn't a bad trip with this load, just crappier fuel economy than expected, I will be installing the RedArc electronic brake controller in the future should we do anymore trips towing with it.

Thanks for sharing that. That is some horrific mileage. You do own an LX so you’re not a stranger to that kind of mileage. Now having gone through this, would you have gone with smaller tires or change anything else? I had bigger tires on my t4r with E load. Learned my lesson there. I’m enjoying the soft soccer mom ride until it’s time to get new tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom