Builds My 40 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Assembled the throttle body and started the engine. Very slight improvement to maybe 15 in of vacuum. Did the smoke check again. Could not see any leaks.

Last edited:
Well...........

After diagnosing the engine, everything is pointing to late valve timing. It appears either the camshaft was ground wrong or the Toyota cam gear was assembled wrong.

The choices are,

1) drive it the way it is. Not good.

2) change to a carburetor and conventional distributor

3) change the camshaft and cam gear.

4) sell the engine.

5) part it out. Not really an option. I am not interested in messing with the problems with shipping.

6) ???

Well...........

After diagnosing the engine, everything is pointing to late valve timing. It appears either the camshaft was ground wrong or the Toyota cam gear was assembled wrong.

The choices are,

1) drive it the way it is. Not good.

2) change to a carburetor and conventional distributor

3) change the camshaft and cam gear.

4) sell the engine.

5) part it out. Not really an option. I am not interested in messing with the problems with shipping.

6) ???

I vote CityRacer Carb and be done with it.

Sorry if this obvious to others, but how does a carb solve late timing caused by a bad cam grind or assembly mistake?

Sorry if this obvious to others, but how does a carb solve late timing caused by a bad cam grind or assembly mistake?

Carb is less dependent on vacuum than GM's tbi fuel injection.

It needs at least 17 in at idle for the computer to function correctly. Years ago I was talking to an engineer from TRW about an oil consumption problem I was having with a 390 Ford. He said the rings will be seated in within the first 5 minutes.

I vote #3 from above post. Pull the cam, verify it is what it's supposed to be. Replace if necessary.

You are so close. It runs. No giving up now.

I just read the entire thread. It is full of great tech I will be using. You're just not meant to retire quite yet.

Last edited:
If I was to work on it today I would be removing the engine and installing something different. The easiest is a 2F. After the main bearing problem I seriously thought about a SBC. Just too much changing is required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom