smog removal (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am not mechanically inclined at all - in the medical profession. Just had a friend look at my cruiser and he said he would remove all the smog stuff on it. I live in rural Georgia with no emissions testing. Will never sell this cruiser. What is entailed and will it change any performance issues?

Don't do it. Removing smog equiptment usually does more harm than good. You have fuel injection so there isn't that much "smog stuff". If you remove the smog, you will spend a lifetime of headache chasing all the problems that it will generate. For instance, if you remove the EGR, it will tend to ping under load. Do you really want that for the next 10 years? Even if you remove the EGR and the air injection, at most you will add 5 hp which of course makes no difference. Unfortunately, Bubba's first response is always to remove the smog stuff but in this case it's the wrong place to go. If you are looking for better performance, get a Vortec conversion.

I wouldn't fool with it. If you feel compelled to do it, I would just remove the air pump and the air injection components and plug the EGR vacuum line. If you remove more, it may run worse, because it is there primarily for electronic engine control rather than just reducing smog.

OK, not going to touch the smog system. Can someone explain why the throttle position sensor would be unhooked?

How about smog removal on a 83 cali model fj-60? That is what I have and someone told me it will make a diffrence in power and I know it will make it easier to work on. If i desmog it I will keep all the stuff in a box in case I move or sell the thing.

E

Cruiserdrew said:
Don't do it. Removing smog equiptment usually does more harm than good.
Are you talking about a 60 or 62? If you're dealing with a 60 I disgree that a desmog does more harm than good. A well thought-out desmog will not only free up some power (especially if you remove the cat) but will end the driveability problems that malfunctioning emissions devices cause in these old trucks.

By well thought-out I mean that the person doing the removal understands what each system does and how to remove it without impacting other engine functions. For example, the pinging issue can be dealt with by backing off the timing, using higher octane gas, having the dizzy advance curve redone, or putting in a non-USA unit.

When I first got my 60 it ran like crap but after the desmog it ran flawlessly and consistently (unitl I threw in the V8).

Lets talk about a 60. The cat is gone and I want to pull the smog stuff out of the engine. Never going to sell it, no smog test here etc, etc. Can someone be more specific on what needs to be pulled and so on?
Chris

TheGr8Doughboy said:
Lets talk about a 60. The cat is gone and I want to pull the smog stuff out of the engine. Never going to sell it, no smog test here etc, etc. Can someone be more specific on what needs to be pulled and so on?
Chris
There's a diagram in the Tech Section here that shows a de-smogged system.

In short =>

Remove:
Cat
EGR valve, cooler and associated vacuum valves and hoses
Air injection (you can remove the vanes inside the pump to allow it to act as an idler; use 1/4 NPT caps on the injector ports)

Keep:
Emissions computer
High Altitude Compensator
Vapor collector system
Cold operation valve on the air cleaner

The key is to know what you are removing. I've seen people just start pulling things off and ended up removing non-smog equipment (such as A/C high idle controller).

HTH

Joe, are you on the pipe again?

That does not mean Joe is not on the pipe again

No, I'm not on the pipe at the present time. I did, however, indirectly remove all my smog equipment. Can't tell you yet if it has helped.

Hey Cruiser Greg, would you be able to put a link directly to the diagram of remving smog equip??? thanx :D

Cruiserdrew said:
Don't do it. Removing smog equiptment usually does more harm than good. You have fuel injection so there isn't that much "smog stuff". If you remove the smog, you will spend a lifetime of headache chasing all the problems that it will generate. For instance, if you remove the EGR, it will tend to ping under load. Do you really want that for the next 10 years? Even if you remove the EGR and the air injection, at most you will add 5 hp which of course makes no difference. Unfortunately, Bubba's first response is always to remove the smog stuff but in this case it's the wrong place to go. If you are looking for better performance, get a Vortec conversion.

I haven't had a single problem since I desmogged my rig. I did it bit by bit as I wasn't sure what results I would get, but now that it's all done, it's great. freed up a little bit of power, and gave me alot more real estate under the hood. I've had no pinging even under the heaviest loads I put on my engine (full throttle from a complete stop to keep assholes from cutting me off :D ), but I also am very anal about keeping my engine tuned and in the best shape possible. I also burn 87 octane gas.

Dawgdaze, if you're curious to what all is involved in desmogging an FJ62, I made a guide that's in the tech section of the site. Cruiserdrew is right that you won't free up much power, especially because of the automatic transmission, but you'll get a noticable amount. I really noticed it when climbing long hills on the freeway. Take a look at the guide and then decide if you want to do that much work (or rather, have that much work done).

No problems after desmog here either. I removed just about everything related to smog.

CB

I just want to remove the ATF soaked Smog pump with an idler. thats it, How will the negativly effect the 2f. I guess it is safe to say I also plug the air rail ports too. But all and all thats all I would like to remove.

I tryed searching but had a hard time of just finding the effects of what just removing the smog pump would do.

Yo Al,

I gutted smog pump; it's a 15 pound idler....

1/4 inch NPT brass pipe plugs where air rail used to be.

removed little rubber hoses associated with smog pump air flow & EGR control; capeed 'little pipes' with vac. fitting caps (from local auto parts store).

did this quite a number of 10s of thousands of miles ago....

Seems to run OK fine . . .

"Ok fine" as in better or worse before you did this. I would really like to see no change in performance from this just one less 24 year old part that could fail. Sent the money out for a TLC idler already.

I had most of the smog components removed and installed SOR headers. I need to get the carb rebuilt but I will tell you this. I can feel a dramatic increase in power, cruse at 75mph at 3200 rpms and I get about 40 more miles to the tank. I now get around 270 on the highway. and I now have a H55 and cruise at 80 at 2800 rpms

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom