smog removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

"I get about 40 more miles to the gal." quote from Boerboel313

Wow, 40 more miles to the gallon, where do I sign up? 5 hours of work removing smog crap to get 5 times the MPG!!!

We could put the Prius out of business.

Hodag

boerboel313 said:
I can feel a dramatic increase in power, cruse at 75mph at 3200 rpms and I get about 40 more miles to the gal. I now get around 260 on the highway.
:eek:
Are you sure that not 40 gal to the mile.:grinpimp:

How would making the smog pump an idler (remove vanes) affect smog testing results for CA? Would it fail CA smog test?

Last edited:
scap it

Pre v-8 I had pulled of al the smog and it made a big difference in drivability. Air pump Idler trick was the same thing I did

de-smog even further

I have been thinking of doing the complete removal of smog equipment, I already have a gutted smog/air pump because it is the vanes in fact that siezed up. However, the old link to the tech section does not work does someone have a good list of what needs to be removed and plugged or connected in a different way to complete the process. My concern is the carbon build up leaving a gutted pump only. It's an 87 FJ60 by the way. Cheers all.
:beer:

Spook50 said:
I haven't had a single problem since I desmogged my rig. I did it bit by bit as I wasn't sure what results I would get, but now that it's all done, it's great. freed up a little bit of power, and gave me alot more real estate under the hood. I've had no pinging even under the heaviest loads I put on my engine (full throttle from a complete stop to keep assholes from cutting me off :D ), but I also am very anal about keeping my engine tuned and in the best shape possible. I also burn 87 octane gas.

Dawgdaze, if you're curious to what all is involved in desmogging an FJ62, I made a guide that's in the tech section of the site. Cruiserdrew is right that you won't free up much power, especially because of the automatic transmission, but you'll get a noticable amount. I really noticed it when climbing long hills on the freeway. Take a look at the guide and then decide if you want to do that much work (or rather, have that much work done).

where is this de-smog guide?

i desmogged my 62 and it helped alot:eek: of course most of my smog stuff did not function anyway.BUTnot really no mpg difference.maybe a little.but there was a little more power.and there was no extra pinging.my biggest advantage was more room less s*** to brake down,good for me living in a non smog law state.

I did this and love the way my truck now runs. I am now in the process of replacing the smog pump with a second alt. The extra + of this is that there is actually room to work in the engine bay now.

Elbert said:
where is this de-smog guide?

Check out the technical links. There are some de-smog links in there.

smog pump

Is the Smog pump located right below the power steering pump on a 60?

Is the Smog pump located right below the power steering pump on a 60?

Yes, it shares a belt with the water pump. I just removed and reinstalled mine today just to get at the motor mount bracket bolts.

Reread my post, I miss spoke and fixed my response, I wish I got 40+ miles to the gal in my 60.

Reread my thread, Any way, what does it look like and where is the high altitude compensator thingy? I spend quit a bit of time at 7,000' - 12,000'.
I would hate to remove the HAC.
Thanks,

I posted a thread recently covering the same questions. Several mud members posted many pics that aided me in the removal of just the components in question. I runs so much better and being that I live in CA, my cruiser is registered in Virginia so no prob with the smog checks.

Where Can I get the idler to take the place of the smog pump?
Good luck.

83 FJ60 Desmogged in Dec. Loving it.

Desmogged my Cruiser in December.

I noticed a boost in power, also in smoke. I wouldn't do it if you don't know what you're doing. Or, if you are like me, have a few people collaborate to make it happen. It definitely took time to figure out how to properly bypass and connect everything and if it wasn't for an old drag racing guru in town having me disable the vacuum advance it would still be pinging and shooting spark plugs out their sockets.

in other words, proceed with caution.

Runs like a moster now though, with flowmaster and no cat sounds like a smallblock, all the power you need.

I also accidently removed the decelerartion fuel cut vacuum switch on my 83 fj60, made it backire bad. make sure you leave that vacuum line in place. I noticed a power increase and it idles smoother than ever before. The choke is trickier in cold weather with no auto functions, but you'll figure out where the 'sweet spot' is pretty quick.

I say go for it on an fj60. Sounds like the big boys now. guys are always asking me what I've got yunder the hood, never expecting a 2f.

Cruisin FJ60: Only time I really care is off road, and in low range i have no complaints, even with bigger tires and stock gears. I do have longings for big block power at 50mph through mountain passes, but the next motor my slow ass land crusher is getting will run on veggie oil. someday...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom