smog removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Okay so let me get this straight; to run without the smog pump, you have to disable the vacuum advance. How is the advance disabled? Right now I have my EVAP and EGR systems disconnected and am not pinging. But then again, my vcv for vacuum advance is inoperational

Okay so let me get this straight; to run without the smog pump, you have to disable the vacuum advance. How is the advance disabled? Right now I have my EVAP and EGR systems disconnected and am not pinging. But then again, my vcv for vacuum advance is inoperational

Even without the smog equipment you should still have the vac advance operational. If you have pinging, you'll need adjust the timing and/or have the dizzy recurved.

Anyone remember where the thread is that describes the function of each emissions part?

I haven't been able to find it, but know it will help me as I work through tthe FSM trying to get mine all functioning. I also thought it would be good to link it to one of these FAQ threads.

Thanks, JD. I do have the emissions manual. It just doesn't explain the purpose for the various systems. Before I get in over my head on this project, or frustrated and decide to desmog, I'd like to understand better how it all is supposed to function...when it's functioning correctly.

I have the bucking, surging, and low power issue that goes away when I bypass the EGR to the EGR modulator. But then I get some pinging at highway speeds under mild load. I'd like to understand better exactly why plugging that one little vacuum hose makes such a big difference.

Bump. I still haven't found the thread. I've tried all sorts of search terms and nothing...

"Anyone remember where the thread is that describes the function of each emissions part?

I haven't been able to find it, but know it will help me as I work through tthe FSM trying to get mine all functioning. I also thought it would be good to link it to one of these FAQ threads."

"I'd like to understand better how it all is supposed to function...when it's functioning correctly.

I have the bucking, surging, and low power issue that goes away when I bypass the EGR to the EGR modulator. But then I get some pinging at highway speeds under mild load. I'd like to understand better exactly why plugging that one little vacuum hose makes such a big difference."

One more time. I searched emissions threads for the last 3 months with nothing about the thread I've been looking for.

IIRC the advance given by the primary advance is too much when you have it desmogged, and you only want the secondary hooked up... that's what it took to make mine stop pinging at higher rpms.

83 FJ-60 what about removing the fuel cut solenoid. this is one of the items on the smog rail. do i need to keep and re connect this? i am worried about it cutting my fuel lines?

Joe, the fuel cut solenoid is built into the carb. It's the bit w/ the electric plug. It should stay and be connected to ignition power and constant ground, or connected to ign power and the computer ground (stock).

There's no cutting of fuel lines or vent lines needed.

x2 on jims advice on the fuel cut. without it you will backfire out the exhaust as you decelerate down a hill. I accidentally disabled mine while desmogging and it sounded like a shotgun blast and blew a couple inches of flame out the tailpipe.

no good:bang:

ok but where do i connect it. it is plugged into that rubber boot, but the other end is a thin metal prong that sticks out. at one time it connected to the rail on the drivers side fender, that has since been removed???

This is me beating my head

:bang:

OK - looks like I missed the boat and all the links are dead or deeply buried.

I have a 1988 FJ62 that is a second ride and will not be smog tested anymore. I would love to free up some space in the engine compartment and any added performance would be great (the guy I bought it from put bigger tires on it but didn't regear it so it feels way underpowered - ANY advice on beefing up the suspension or lifting it and also regearing it would be appreciated - but don't worry, I will search the forum also ;))

So - back on course - is there a thread that shows removal - pics - step by step guide out there? How about partial smog components that you can remove without doing weird fuzzy quantum physics logic remapping of the ignition and timing, y'know, for those of us with a home tool set and no professional wrench turning time :wrench:

Please - post hyperlinks, pics, anything you have here so it helps me (and I guess it would be ok if someone else benefited also, hahah)

So there is my plea for help - I have my cruiser getting close to where I need it to be but these are my sticking points.

Oh - if anyone wants to talk about DIY exhaust just PM me ;)

and - the random infolinks showing up in my post - I have no idea what they are all about :confused:

Last edited:
Man , i just gutted / pulled a FJ 60 , 1983/4 ________4.2 L with nothing but fuel sucking BS to make it have the best smelling fart..

Remove all , install a real carb , and exhaust..

MPG , = fuel efficient,, the rest is for the slugs who you voted in. !!!

They still are figuring it out/ 1980 was 4% CO Out put ~~~ mean , 2010 = .003 % co with VVT plus..

VT

FWIW I yanked everything as well; installed a Trollhole carb and now I have two vacuum lines---one to the vacuum advance and one to the distributor vent. Been a while now and absolutely zero problems. Sooooo much cleaner under there now!

:bang:

OK - looks like I missed the boat and all the links are dead or deeply buried.

I have a 1988 FJ62 that is a second ride and will not be smog tested anymore. I would love to free up some space in the engine compartment and any added performance would be great (the guy I bought it from put bigger tires on it but didn't regear it so it feels way underpowered - ANY advice on beefing up the suspension or lifting it and also regearing it would be appreciated - but don't worry, I will search the forum also ;))

So - back on course - is there a thread that shows removal - pics - step by step guide out there? How about partial smog components that you can remove without doing weird fuzzy quantum physics logic remapping of the ignition and timing, y'know, for those of us with a home tool set and no professional wrench turning time :wrench:

Please - post hyperlinks, pics, anything you have here so it helps me (and I guess it would be ok if someone else benefited also, hahah)

So there is my plea for help - I have my cruiser getting close to where I need it to be but these are my sticking points.

Oh - if anyone wants to talk about DIY exhaust just PM me ;)

and - the random infolinks showing up in my post - I have no idea what they are all about :confused:

Would like to know same. Can't seem to find any guides/PICS. A lot of talk about doing it, with very little instruction on how to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom