Builds The Adventure begins: Building an Arkana FJ45 Troopy three door. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Complete front end off.
DSC03639.JPG

Another pic of the bolt together fenders,
DSC03658.JPG

Typical rust areas.

DSC03665.JPG
DSC03667.JPG

Australian dirt in every nook and cranny.

DSC03669.JPG

That’s an Aussie huntsman spider! Found one in a 47 I imported! Look up huntsman spider, one of the biggest in the world, but surprisingly harmless! I have a cup of red dirt I saved years ago!

If you’re going that deep in on it, have you considered converting to LHD? I’d imagine the cost to swap wouldn’t be all that bad considering everything is apart.

Also, the third door becomes far more practical when it’s on the driver’s side.

To tell you the truth I never thought of it, I flew up to Charlotte to pick up Greenie and drive back to Orlando and was used to RHD after about 10 minutes. I kind of like driving on the RH side, and as far as the cost I don't think it will be cheap with the replacement of the firewall sections and changing the mount on the frame for the PS and then changing all of the steering, and then all of the wiring. I think I'll just keep it this way. Cheers.

227,000 Km's on the clock and it was still going strong before taking it apart, a testament to the quality of Toyota Landcruiser engineering.

DSC03730.JPG

All of the glass removed, PO used a lot of weatherstrip adhesive to try and seal it, boy what a pain in the butt to get it all off.

DSC03779.JPG

Fuel tank switching station, it has a nice handle for switching from the front to rear fuel tanks.

DSC03795.JPG

Time to drive it over to the bodyshop for removal of the body from the frame.

DSC03815.JPG

Separation anxieties.

DSC03830.JPG

Great project, keep the pics coming!! Loving it.....

Diffs ready for sand blast and powdercoat.

DSC04055.JPG

Changing from 4:11's to 3:73s, try to get a little mileage out of her with gears and 5 speed.

DSC04057.JPG

Rear drum to disc conversion in the works.

DSC04069.JPG

Terrain Tamer rebuild kits for everything that needs it, great product.

DSC04085.JPG

Cool little fiberglass cooling ducts for front rotors, F1 Technology Toyota had in 84, LOL.

DSC04086.JPG

First batch back from zinc coating.

DSC04291.JPG

Clear powder coat on the Transfer case.

DSC04313.JPG

Block stripped and hot tanked.

DSC04319.JPG

Transmission back together with all new bearings, synchro's, etc.

DSC04337.JPG

Power honing the block for new pistons.

DSC04342.JPG

Have a great weekend everybody, Cheers.

Using Delron inserts between each leaf for smoother movement.

DSC04359.JPG

ARB Locker waiting for an airline.

DSC04369.JPG

Trans and transfer case back together.

DSC04393.JPG

Transfer case fitted with a Disc parking brake assembly.

DSC04395.JPG

Mocking up the rear Disc brake calipers.

DSC04399.JPG

Man, you work fast.

Man, you work fast.

We work 36 hrs a day and 12 days a week, just kidding, I started this project about a year ago and didn't want to start the thread until I had enough pics and info to keep it going. This is being done in my spare time because of my dreaded day job, LOL, and I didn't want a post to go on forever waiting for time to work on it and not post anything for 6 months. Thanks cult.

Very nice work. I anxiously look forward to seeing more.

Body on the rotisserie to start with repairing the rusty parts.

DSC04422.JPG

Repairing the rust in all of the panels that we found, we are trying to eliminate all of it in the vehicle, thus cutting it out, replacing with new sheet metal repairs and smoothing out. Just one example here.

DSC04503.JPG

DSC04514.JPG

DSC04515.JPG

DSC04518.JPG

I HATE RUST!!!! or should I say IH8RUST...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom