The 2H/12H-T/1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Gturbo Alternative Tech Thread (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice work. Pipe fabrication is sweet. I am running a TD05-18g with 7cm and a few supporting mods. 3” off the turbo all the way back full muffler and resnator. Happy at 24psi. No comparison to stock is it? My truck with warped block and leaking head gasket is way stronger than stock. Pulling the engine soon for repairs.....then it should really rip.
Cheers
:beer::beer::beer:

View attachment 1756941
Good to see! You seriously cannot compare them to a stock truck!

I am going to get mine tuned next week at around 35psi plus, should be unreal.

That 18g would be nice and responsive

#boosted105
U should add an airbox to your list of must haves too

Hey mate, I have a stainless one there (suprise suprise). Just need to modiy it to have a 4 inch intake and mount it.

Will be doing that and finishing off the cooler properly with stainless 2.5 inch piping on the hot side to match the cold side.

Just to update yous on the ct20b/ct26/16g hybrid I ended up with on my 13bt powered landrover, that didn't run well.

I got a good job offer and moved cities. I eventually got the chance to take the turbo in to a local bloke here in wellington. It was a stock ct20b turbine wheel, ct20b center, aftermarket billet 50/68 comp wheel. That is apparently the same spec as an 18g comp wheel. The 13bt comp wheel is 39/57. I had the comp wheel replaced with the stock ct20b 45/65 wheel, and a 2nd hand ct26 compressor housing bored out to fit.

The turbo works a lot better with the smaller comp wheel, though I suspect this wheel is still too big. It's hard to compare it to the stock ct26 due to the time that's passed, but I think on the ct26 from 1900/2000rpm the boost ramped up really quick, wheras the ct20b is a bit lazy to spool. It does see boost as low as 1300rpm lugging in 4th gear on steeper hills, so maybe it is a good upgrade from a driveability point of view here in hilly NZ.

I'm interested in why we thought the holset he221w wouldn't fit? It would be a case of adapter plate between the turbo and manifold, modified dump pipe, modified oil lines, modified inlet (which is just a pod filter at the moment), and clocking the compressor housing to point in the right direction?

I just made a transition yesterday from 2.5" to 3". Took a little bit but ended up clean inside. Tacked one end, tightened it down with 2 gear clamps, welded it and brought each end back to round with gentle squishes with the vice. Done.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Just to update yous on the ct20b/ct26/16g hybrid I ended up with on my 13bt powered landrover, that didn't run well.

I got a good job offer and moved cities. I eventually got the chance to take the turbo in to a local bloke here in wellington. It was a stock ct20b turbine wheel, ct20b center, aftermarket billet 50/68 comp wheel. That is apparently the same spec as an 18g comp wheel. The 13bt comp wheel is 39/57. I had the comp wheel replaced with the stock ct20b 45/65 wheel, and a 2nd hand ct26 compressor housing bored out to fit.

The turbo works a lot better with the smaller comp wheel, though I suspect this wheel is still too big. It's hard to compare it to the stock ct26 due to the time that's passed, but I think on the ct26 from 1900/2000rpm the boost ramped up really quick, wheras the ct20b is a bit lazy to spool. It does see boost as low as 1300rpm lugging in 4th gear on steeper hills, so maybe it is a good upgrade from a driveability point of view here in hilly NZ.

I'm interested in why we thought the holset he221w wouldn't fit? It would be a case of adapter plate between the turbo and manifold, modified dump pipe, modified oil lines, modified inlet (which is just a pod filter at the moment), and clocking the compressor housing to point in the right direction?

If you're not intercooled I'd go back to a 40mm inducer. The airflow requirements for a 3.4L 2 valve diesel aren't that high.

To warrant a HE221 you really need intercooled and more rpm. I'd go for a TD04 instead as a turbo that's more efficient. The HE221 sacrifices efficiency for pressure capacity.

The he221 would be really only be good on a 3b for very high boost. I just built a td04-19textended tip -6cm which is the long way of saying he221 and the fellas going to run 25lbs to start and go up to 30lbs on his intercooled 3B. So far he's very happy but he is the high end of the spectrum. He also has bigger plungers in his pump too. I did caution him.....he's wild you could say.

I want the boost sooner. Neither the ct20b or the ct26 are getting to 10psi till 2k rpm or later. I've got the fuel turned up and it blows a fair amount of black smoke on medium to heavy throttle till the turbo spools up and egts hit 450c just accelerating up to 50kmh at a sensible pace.

Knowing what I do now i wouldn't recommend the ct20b to anyone else for the 13bt. My ct26 was toast so I had to spend money on the turbo anyway, but it's still not a great result. I guess I want 10psi by 1800rpm, and 15psi by 2krpm.

I do have a front mount intercooler, though it's a bit on the small size. I don't notice much difference in egts without it. Except on a rainy day when egts drop way quicker at idle

Your compressor wheel is way too big.

The 45/65 still too big? Stock ct20b spec?

Would it be the same for a 1hd-t, or just a 13bt?

to warrant a HE221 you really need intercooled and more rpm. I'd go for a TD04 instead as a turbo that's more efficient. The HE221 sacrifices efficiency for pressure capacity.
What sort of td04 spec would you recommend?

I brought up the he221 as it was recommended by yourself and at least one other when I posted about the rubbish 16g/ct20b hybrid. Also back then, everyone seemed to think the 16g compressor wasn't too big for the 13bt.

75 pages and no one managed to reverse engineer the stupid thing.

Too bad.

That was never the intention. Gturbo has a lot going on and are continually revising and updating. This thread is about turbos that you can DIY to get decent performance upgrades.

What sort of td04 spec would you recommend?

I brought up the he221 as it was recommended by yourself and at least one other when I posted about the rubbish 16g/ct20b hybrid. Also back then, everyone seemed to think the 16g compressor wasn't too big for the 13bt.

There's a lot of garbage out there with turbo sizing. I don't have turbo sizing for a 13BT. But I did some work on a the 3B. Best example I had was 15psi intercooled. At 4000rpm it's only ~23 lb/min air-flow.

Td04l or td04hl 13t or 16t with a 6cm hot side

I think 13T would be ideal if Nath is doing any mountain work. 16T is an option if it stays closer to sea-level. I wouldn't be scared to go as small as TD04-5cm turbine.

Or. If you want to stay Toyota. CT12B from a 1KZ will be a good starting point. Turbine is about halfway between TD04-5cm and TD06HL-6cm.

I should say the only downside to the CT12B is the turbine wheel. It is the old style paddle wheel type which isn't as efficient as the average TD04 version. Even though the CT12B is a TD04 based turbo.

I think Toyota did this so that drive pressure would always be above boost to drive EGR flow in the right direction.

So is there a ct12b core with TD04 turbine that will fit the original housing ?

AFAIK the CT12B has a unique flange which you will likely struggle to find in other TD04's.

I have CT12B turbine listed as 43.4/52mm with 6.2mm tip width. I haven't confirmed those numbers.
A TD04H is slightly bigger exducer (44.2/52.1) and TD04HL is 45.6/52.1mm. So the CT12B housing could likely be machined out to fit those turbines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom