The 2H/12H-T/1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Gturbo Alternative Tech Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does somebody have a part number for the 46mm version of HX30, i can only find the 44mm versions..
Plus, HX30 has an internal wastegate, i would imagine that to be too small for compound setup. At least then when it is time to get some real power out of the engine. :rolleyes:

I missed this. The 46mm was a Deutz application originally. As well as being a bigger inducer, it's got a very big compressor wheel (76.5mm) with low trim (36%) for surge resistance. It will be a little slower to spin up, but unless you're racing that won't matter.

Capacity estimation (by me) here: HX30 Super Compressor Map Guesstimation.

Here's an ebay one, I haven't checked it out enough to know if it's correct and genuine or not: NEW GENUINE HOLSET HX30W 13024082 4051167 2835278 DEUTZ TBD226B 4.2 TurboCharger | eBay
There are a lot of holset fakes and genuine but incorrectly listed on the internet.

The data tag matches almost exactly the photo I have of another HX30W Super. As in the serial number is 1 digit different. Which is very suspicious but could still be correct.

Alcaid on 4btswaps and other forums has supplied many genuine ones.

Hello, any one made expirience with a Garrett GT2560R?
its also available with a 2.5 inch Vband turbine inlet, therefore less "restriction" than the stock CT26 to T25 adaption.

The Holset HX30 Super sounds interesting, unfortunatly there are not many techn. data of this turbo available.
would like to compare it with the GT2560R

GT2560R - Garrett

Last edited:
Hello, any one made expirience with a Garrett GT2560R?
its also available with a 2.5 inch Vband turbine inlet, therefore less "restriction" than the stock CT26 to T25 adaption.

The Holset HX30 Super sounds interesting, unfortunatly there are not many techn. data of this turbo available.
would like to compare it with the GT2560R

GT2560R - Garrett

They're a turbo suited to a low boost petrol engine. Not a good match for a diesel.

well I dont want to tune my truck, just replace the outdated CT26 with something better

one page before you recommended the HX30 Pro with 6cm housing....
thats why I want to compare, cause the HX30 pro looks pretty close to the GT2560R

By the way, the Holset HX30 Pro is mostly available in Scandinavia (guess those nord lights throw them into old Volvos to build "sleeper" trucks)

I checked Eurotrash and could not find any info where that company is based, not good for business.
Also seen a few other webshops that sell the HX30 pro even for lower price and have all the fittings you might need too!

Holset Super HX30-6

On the other hand I contacted 3 Garrett distributors (USA / Europe / South Africa) to find the proper aftermarket Turbo for the 1HD /1HD-FT
their "guesswork" went from GT2560R to GT2871R up to the GTX Gen2 3071R
So those people have no clue at all!!!

And I dont buy a Gturbo, cause that item is with shipping just complete out of the budget.
(If I dont get something suitable than I rebuild the CT26 and thats it)

Dankieh

Stephan

well I dont want to tune my truck, just replace the outdated CT26 with something better

one page before you recommended the HX30 Pro with 6cm housing....
thats why I want to compare, cause the HX30 pro looks pretty close to the GT2560R

By the way, the Holset HX30 Pro is mostly available in Scandinavia (guess those nord lights throw them into old Volvos to build "sleeper" trucks)

I checked Eurotrash and could not find any info where that company is based, not good for business.
Also seen a few other webshops that sell the HX30 pro even for lower price and have all the fittings you might need too!

Holset Super HX30-6

On the other hand I contacted 3 Garrett distributors (USA / Europe / South Africa) to find the proper aftermarket Turbo for the 1HD /1HD-FT
their "guesswork" went from GT2560R to GT2871R up to the GTX Gen2 3071R
So those people have no clue at all!!!

And I dont buy a Gturbo, cause that item is with shipping just complete out of the budget.
(If I dont get something suitable than I rebuild the CT26 and thats it)

Dankieh

Stephan

Garrett will only sell you what garrett have. But their core market is ricer petrols and that's what that turbo is for. It has small wheels, a larger turbine housing and limited boost capacity.
Garrett don't have a good turbo for diesels this size. I say that as someone currently running a Garrett T25.

Holset don't care about aftermarket. They exist to sell turbos to OEM engine manufacturers and they sell the same turbos as replacement spares. It's only through the dedicated work of enthusiasts that we have the info we have on them.

There are also a lot of counterfeit holset turbos out there and many different HX30 versions. So be careful. The real Super versions are made in China. There are a lot of good threads on www.4btswaps.com about these turbos and how to identify them.

Garrett will only sell you what garrett have. But their core market is ricer petrols and that's what that turbo is for. It has small wheels, a larger turbine housing and limited boost capacity.
Garrett don't have a good turbo for diesels this size. I say that as someone currently running a Garrett T25.

Holset don't care about aftermarket. They exist to sell turbos to OEM engine manufacturers and they sell the same turbos as replacement spares. It's only through the dedicated work of enthusiasts that we have the info we have on them.

There are also a lot of counterfeit holset turbos out there and many different HX30 versions. So be careful. The real Super versions are made in China. There are a lot of good threads on www.4btswaps.com about these turbos and how to identify them.

Hi Dougal, so will a HX30 Super suit a 1HD-FT?
I rarely tow heavy stuff on my cruiser, sometimes a small boat
Mostly drive on normal or gravel roads, speed limit here is 120km/h
Cruising speed 100km/h

there are some mountain pass I regulary drive, sometimes with the boat (800kg) in tow

So I dont need a torque monster and also not a peak power tuning, actually quite happy with the stock power
except that I have to rev the sh*t out of the engine with the CT26 (below 2500rpm there is no power at all)

I build in a large front mount intercooler 600x500mm
3" free flow exhaust system and a K&N airfiter

Any suggestions what I should go for?

I can get hold of an abused CT26A... worth to buy it for 80bucks?
$_20.jpg

thanks
Stephan

Last edited:
Yes HX30 Super will do nicely. That CT26 could be good for parts or it could be toast. You'd only know once inside it.

The 1HD-FTE CT20 turbo is a nice upgrade if you want to stay Toyota.

except that I have to rev the sh*t out of the engine with the CT26 (below 2500rpm there is no power at all)

This has more to do with the lack of fuelling than the turbo itself (emission control). Bring in more fuel down low and you'll be suprised what that std ct26 can do. For a mild upgrade, run a ct20b of a 1hdfte like dougal said above

Thanks guys,
so its an calcuation exercise.
A new CT20B costs here r.a. 800 USD (plus the HDJ100 compressor inlet adapters 280USD for both)
A rebuild for a CT26 r.a. 600USD (without any tuning parts) Also on my CT26 the turbine port is cracked (new housing r.a. 300USD)
A HX30 cost with shipping r.a 800USD plus manifold intake adapter CT26DSM to T3 and the compressor outlet adapter (r.a. 200USD)

CT20B 1080USD
CT26 stock 900USD +500USD for upgrade parts
HX30Super 1000USD

upgrading the CT26 with "7cm" turbine housing, lighter 9 blade turbine wheel, billet compressor wheel and machined compressor housing

So under the line, the CT20B seems to be the less complicated and hassle free "upgrade"

My CT20B from a 1HD-FTE is freaking sweet in my 1HZ powered 60. Friends that have driven it can't believe how fast the 60 can move now. Big thanks to @mudgudgeon who pointed me in the right direction. Thanks man!

I bought a MMP turbo over the summer, got it installed eventually in the fall, but turbo performance aside, I can not recommend doing business with MMP.

After sending payment I was told it would take 21 days to assemble and ship. After 5 weeks of no updates at all, I reached out to MMP multiple times, before finally getting a reply over two weeks later (now 7-8 weeks from purchase date). At the time I was told that it would ship the next day. Unfortunately weeks went by with no shipment notice and no reply to my emails. Since they requested the money via PayPal, I opened a dispute, and three weeks into the dispute I was finally notified that the turbo had shipped. No additional communication, never a single “sorry”, ever.

The turbo itself is fine. I don’t have any plans to ever dyno the truck so I can only tell you that my butt-dyno says the truck is decidedly less slow. Max psi is currently around 21psi. Boost comes in at lower rpm given a wider power band.

I can’t say that I’d go with some other company in the future, as this is the only aftermarket turbo I’ve ever fitted to my HJ61, but MMP will definitely never see another dime of my money, based solely on my purchasing experience.

I bought a MMP turbo over the summer, got it installed eventually in the fall, but turbo performance aside, I can not recommend doing business with MMP.

After sending payment I was told it would take 21 days to assemble and ship. After 5 weeks of no updates at all, I reached out to MMP multiple times, before finally getting a reply over two weeks later (now 7-8 weeks from purchase date). At the time I was told that it would ship the next day. Unfortunately weeks went by with no shipment notice and no reply to my emails. Since they requested the money via PayPal, I opened a dispute, and three weeks into the dispute I was finally notified that the turbo had shipped. No additional communication, never a single “sorry”, ever.

The turbo itself is fine. I don’t have any plans to ever dyno the truck so I can only tell you that my butt-dyno says the truck is decidedly less slow. Max psi is currently around 21psi. Boost comes in at lower rpm given a wider power band.

I can’t say that I’d go with some other company in the future, as this is the only aftermarket turbo I’ve ever fitted to my HJ61, but MMP will definitely never see another dime of my money, based solely on my purchasing experience.

I believe this was the same general consensus from the group buy that was done a few years ago. They did do a post saying that they could improve on those two things (communication and delivery time), but it sounds like nothing has changed. Personally, I'm ok with slow delivery, but tell me up front rather than promising faster and then taking more than double the time.

I think I have at least 40k kms on my MMP turbo now and haven't had any issues with it.

I believe this was the same general consensus from the group buy that was done a few years ago. They did do a post saying that they could improve on those two things (communication and delivery time), but it sounds like nothing has changed. Personally, I'm ok with slow delivery, but tell me up front rather than promising faster and then taking more than double the time.

I think I have at least 40k kms on my MMP turbo now and haven't had any issues with it.
Bingo. Had they been up front with me, and responsive to communications, I’d harbor no animosity. But radio silence for weeks at a time while the initially discussed delivery date is long gone, is unacceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom