The 2H/12H-T/1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Gturbo Alternative Tech Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Uh.. it's me again.

1HD-T and Holset turbos, single or compound setup, do people have what kind of experiences? Or even advice is greatly welcomed.
I'm not going to hunt max HP or torque, but something better than the original CT26. 500-550Nm would be nice for the starters.
Driveability is what i'm after, early and steady boost. Fuel pump has been rebuild with steeper cam plate by PO, no other mods yet.
My HDJ is an Auto if that matters.

HX30S alone would be too small, but that combined to, say, HX40S, would they play together???
HX35MFS single with 10# or 12# turbine housing? Too big for a DD?

:cheers:

Whats
Uh.. it's me again.

1HD-T and Holset turbos, single or compound setup, do people have what kind of experiences? Or even advice is greatly welcomed.
I'm not going to hunt max HP or torque, but something better than the original CT26. 500-550Nm would be nice for the starters.
Driveability is what i'm after, early and steady boost. Fuel pump has been rebuild with steeper cam plate by PO, no other mods yet.

HX30S alone would be too small, but that combined to, say, HX40S, would they play together???

What's your budget and at what rpm do you want your torque. Do you want somthing that's available locally or don't mind shipping internationally?

Whats

What's your budget and at what rpm do you want your torque. Do you want somthing that's available locally or don't mind shipping internationally?
I don't really have a budget right now, it costs what it costs. But G-Turbo is out of question at this point. Plus they are bolt-on, i want to do more by myself than unbolt and bolt back together. Stock 1HD-T has max torq at somewhere 1500rpm?? Bit lower would be nice.
I don't mind ordering from overseas, as long as it is in EU. (shipping+ high taxes)

I don't really have a budget right now, it costs what it costs. But G-Turbo is out of question at this point. Plus they are bolt-on, i want to do more by myself than unbolt and bolt back together. Stock 1HD-T has max torq at somewhere 1500rpm?? Bit lower would be nice.
I don't mind ordering from overseas, as long as it is in EU. (shipping+ high taxes)

Is Gturbo not an option due to price, or because it's too "easy" being a bolt off/bolt on solution?

Uh.. it's me again.

HX30 Super is the only single option that'll do. 6cm housing, 46mm compressor. Great boost capacity and surge resistance. It'll meet your torque goals easily and boost hard at low rpm.

Is Gturbo not an option due to price, or because it's too "easy" being a bolt off/bolt on solution?
Well, to be honest, i thought G-Turbo costs a small fortune. But i asked them, and the new Vortex Grunter was a lot less than that.
Pretty reasonably priced actually. However, shipping + our high import tax (24%) adds a price of a new Holset more to the final cost.
But i have to add, i will seriously consider going G-Turbo route.

What comes to bolt on thing, i like to make things by myself, to see my very own handprint. G-Turbo sits right in place without any modifications if i have understand it correctly. All i need to do is piping for intercooler and an exhaust at max. PLUS all the costy bolt-on upgrades like injectors, valve body...

HX30 Super is the only single option that'll do. 6cm housing, 46mm compressor. Great boost capacity and surge resistance. It'll meet your torque goals easily and boost hard at low rpm.
Thanks a ton Dougal! I have been learning some turbo tech since your last reply to me (where i asked about HX35 Super for 12H-T) and i have some better understanding now. If i'm not asking too much, what would you recommend for a low pressure turbo? IF i take the compound turbo route.

Thanks a ton Dougal! I have been learning some turbo tech since your last reply to me (where i asked about HX35 Super for 12H-T) and i have some better understanding now. If i'm not asking too much, what would you recommend for a low pressure turbo? IF i take the compound turbo route.

I don't think I have crunched all the numbers on full compound sizing for a 4.2L diesel. But an HX35-12cm or HX40-14cm sort of thing will do depending on whether you're building for torque or power.

Honestly though, I think you'll get more than enough torque and response from the HX30 super. You'd want serious gearbox upgrades before going the compound route.

I don't think I have crunched all the numbers on full compound sizing for a 4.2L diesel. But an HX35-12cm or HX40-14cm sort of thing will do depending on whether you're building for torque or power.

Honestly though, I think you'll get more than enough torque and response from the HX30 super. You'd want serious gearbox upgrades before going the compound route.
Alright. Any idea what kind of torque can stock A442F handle? Or with "Heavy duty Extreme valve body"? Interweb search does not come up with a lot info.

Either way did i choose the G-Turbo or Compounds, i would need to upgrade the valve body at least.

And the hard choose between the two options now.. :redface:

You can probably get away with a lot of power in stock form but shedding the heat is paramount to auto longevity. Synthetic oil and a magnefine inline filter is my plan. I have an auto with extreme stuff but need to mate a case to it. Time time time.....

Does somebody have a part number for the 46mm version of HX30, i can only find the 44mm versions..
Plus, HX30 has an internal wastegate, i would imagine that to be too small for compound setup. At least then when it is time to get some real power out of the engine. :rolleyes:

Hx30 internal wastegate simplifies compounding. I did an external gate on a compound and basically learned never to do it that way again. If you were to compound with an hx30 I'd go with the smaller compressor as it maps better with hotter intake air. Tons of info on compounding this turbo on 4bt swaps. Lots of proven recepies.

Any idea what kind of torque can stock A442F handle? Or with "Heavy duty Extreme valve body"? Interweb search does not come up with a lot info.
I got some sort of answer on this. Rebuild unit will stand 550-700Nm, depends on who you ask.
Wholesale transmissions suggested to look at 4L80E instantly, but that's out of my books.

Add another turbo option into the mix now. Brisbane based Eclipse Turbos just popped up on facebook yesterday and from there website they look like they are doing some interesting things.

https://eclipseturbosystems.com.au/

PS, apparently i'm not allowed to post anything being a new member today.

I hope the business doesn't reflect the website. There's nothing in the web catalog.

New member is awesome. Just weird your selling stuff in your first post. This is a tech forum. Post up some tech.

Not sure why you automatically assume i'm selling something? I'm actually looking for a replacement turbo which I believe, correct me if i'm wrong, makes me a buyer. Weird to me is the way you jumped to conclusions like that. The title of the thread is the Gturbo alternative, in which many other alternative turbos have been discussed. Please enlighten me as to the correct section to post this in if this is not the right thread? I was merely just trying to add to the already extensive list of alternatives another option which I have become aware of and thought it might be beneficial to this thread and to hear if anyone knows anymore about them.

I guess I'll just go back into the shadows, like many do, without giving anything back to the forum due to people like you.

Not sure why you automatically assume i'm selling something? I'm actually looking for a replacement turbo which I believe, correct me if i'm wrong, makes me a buyer. Weird to me is the way you jumped to conclusions like that. The title of the thread is the Gturbo alternative, in which many other alternative turbos have been discussed. Please enlighten me as to the correct section to post this in if this is not the right thread? I was merely just trying to add to the already extensive list of alternatives another option which I have become aware of and thought it might be beneficial to this thread and to hear if anyone knows anymore about them.

I guess I'll just go back into the shadows, like many do, without giving anything back to the forum due to people like you.

If you're a buyer, why not open with that? Tell us what you're doing, what you've found and what you actually want?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom