Builds 2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Chinook build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

!

IMG_7423.JPG

IMG_7425.JPG

Got the top mounted... it is all weather right now...
Have some fabricating to do on the door latch... I asked my neighbor Stan the machinist if he had a square tiny rat tail file so I could open up the square latch mechanism... he said hold my beer.

E93E18D4-275A-4403-9803-FC54EE8A3344.jpeg

F2C78E41-27FC-4285-9E62-A68BA809E553.jpeg

338224A6-9E20-44BB-90BD-642791A4CEC7.jpeg

Took care of a bunch of little stuff today. Installed the magnetic catches on the step bumper... fabricated and installed the plates for the jamb and door for the latch... installed the stainless steel cables for the side hatch for my outside grill area and redid the ss cables on my step bumper. The last ones were a tad long so the step was not level when open... The cables are swedged on and then covered with shrink tube...

IMG_7452.JPG

IMG_7457.JPG

IMG_7456.JPG

IMG_7458.JPG

Also my extra fuel tank system works great. I was low on fuel so I filled the auxiliary gas tank and then transferred the fuel to the main tank... turn a gate valve 90 degrees, pump the priming bulb a couple times and perfect syphon into my “Y” fuel fill splitter. I wanted to test it all before I built it in...

IMG_6979.JPG

Got the utilility boxes clear coated with Everbright. .. had some left over from coating the tuna tower on my boat (just sold)... great stuff. Apply with a foam brush, self leveling. with the coating I dont have to constantly wax the annodized aluminum! Boxes are ready for final installation so I can template out the diamond plate wheel wells.

IMG_7461.JPG

IMG_7460.JPG

Got the utilility boxes clear coated with Everbright. .. had some left over from coating the tuna tower on my boat (just sold)... great stuff. Apply with a foam brush, self leveling. with the coating I dont have to constantly wax the annodized aluminum! Boxes are ready for final installation so I can template out the diamond plate wheel wells.

I got wrinkle coat finish on my side brush guards and back bumper today. Now the utility boxes can go in! I need to install the brush seal also between the camper body and back bumper...
Also prepared a conversion affidavit for the DMV so I can get it titled as an RV. They are telling me no inspections needed! I find it hard to imagine but will let you know how it goes. Possibly it is so uncommon that no bureaucrat has taken the time to complicate the proceedure? Sure hope so.... RV insurance is smoking cheap in FL... maybe $300 a year for full coverage.

IMG_7465.JPG

IMG_7464.JPG

Today was one of those days. Got a start on the brush seal that is the finish between the camper and back bumper. I have to add an aluminum angle to attach to. I can not get in to drill at my attachment points. Simple job turns not so simple...
Started attaching the utility boxes. The passenger side rear box was encroaching on my generator...a tight little installation to be sure. I opted to modify the box by cutting a back corner off...I cut a piece of diamond plate to finish it and my neighbor will weld it for me...
Should have done this along time ago. I needed a half inch and gave myself 2"... been fighting this problem for monthes! The mod is in the back and can not be seen. I have been worried about the small clearance to my generator and am glad to have resolved that.
Also got the rig retitled as a motor coach! Showed up with the paperwork they said I needed yesterday. New deal today. I needed to fill out another afidavit as well as take it to a weigh station and provide receipts on my materials used to prove sales tax was paid... all done, all good.... 5100lbs. The build complete will remain below the gross weight of the stock truck... gross weight is curb weight plus max load. I am happy.

IMG_7467.JPG

IMG_7469.JPG

Had a lazy day. Got another utility box installed. I finally have a wheel well plan worked out in my head...
Attached a pic of my cropped corner box. This is the modification to not encroach on my generator....
Tomorrow my neighbor is detailing the cab for me. It needs some love after living with the barbarian hordes these past months.

IMG_7479.JPG

IMG_7482.JPG

IMG_7475.JPG

My neighbor Matt is doing a stellar job on the cab. The truck got covered with rust and paint particulate that got ground off an old forklift then the crap layed on the truck in the dew and rain and acted like overspray. Imagine my joy in seeing this when I got back from my travels. Matt removed the rust, buffed out the whole truck and then is spiffing me out with a ceramic coat finish on the house! It looks fantastic!

IMG_7484.JPG

IMG_7488.JPG

Got the utility boxes mounted on the other side after picking her up from the detail shop... a huge thank you to Matt from the Detail Doctor in Jensen Beach FL .772.405.7010... anyone in the area should talk to him about detailing and ceramic coating. So rare to find someone who under promises and over delivers. I am so happy! This ceramic coating is badass! 6 year product that repeals water like rain x on glass....

IMG_7498.JPG

IMG_7497.JPG

IMG_7495.JPG

IMG_7496.JPG

Got a good start on the fender fabrication... patterned out the wheel wells with wood door skin. There will be a piece of diamond plate connecting the backs of the utility boxes but stepped back 1" to allow a bit more tire clearance. Then the 1/8" curved piece of aluminum will join that piece to the fiberglass camper.... then diamond plate pie sections will attach to the boxes front and back to finish the fender skirt... should look great... no fancy bending equipment available on a Sunday... used a barrel, some clamps and a section of 4" pipe....came out nice!

IMG_7503.JPG

IMG_7505.JPG

IMG_7506.JPG

IMG_7507.JPG

I am waiting for a piece of my wheel well project to be welded so I changed thought process today...
Finishing out the walk through is the hardest part of the interior so I got started. It is a really important area because I am mating the factory interior finishes to the new... and 3 different materials are coming together... and to boot, the factory headliner needs to be able to release in the event of side airbags deploying (hoping I never need them!)...
I patterned and cut a door skin frame to mate with the back of the factory (cut out) headliner. I then glued and screwed in a wood spacer that brings it up to the cab roof metal. There will then be another wood frame on top that will attach to the cab roof on top with sheet metal screws... I will pad this with foam and upholster it with the same vinyl as the pop up roof headliner. The hull liner wall covering will butt to this and look awesome and finished. The wood frame gives me structure that I can glue, screw, or staple to!
The factory headliner will staple to the door skin into the 1/8" thin plywood... easy release in the event of an airbag incident. The edge of the headliner and door skin edge will finish with grey foam pipe insulation that you see in the picture. I was going to wrap it with vinyl but it is the exact same color as the factory headliner already! All that clean living is finally paying off.

IMG_7513.JPG

IMG_7511.JPG

IMG_7510.JPG

IMG_7515.JPG

Hi Jay!Things are looking great! I have a question. Looks like I am going to have to do some reparis to my roof. It has the typical sag in the middle. From what I can see in your pictures, It looks like you installed plywood to your top. So did you just use a solid sheet of plywood or did you use some metal or something on your top? I have researched and found that others are using a Square tube frame. Being that I am not very experinced in fiberglass, I was wondering if you did just use one solid sheet of plywood, how did you fiberglass it in the middle and get it to stay? mabey put screws through the roof into the plwood and fiberglass over them? I see your fiberglassing talent and I would really like to see what you did.

Hi Jay!Things are looking great! I have a question. Looks like I am going to have to do some reparis to my roof. It has the typical sag in the middle. From what I can see in your pictures, It looks like you installed plywood to your top. So did you just use a solid sheet of plywood or did you use some metal or something on your top? I have researched and found that others are using a Square tube frame. Being that I am not very experinced in fiberglass, I was wondering if you did just use one solid sheet of plywood, how did you fiberglass it in the middle and get it to stay? mabey put screws through the roof into the plwood and fiberglass over them? I see your fiberglassing talent and I would really like to see what you did.
Mine was ground down to a bare fiberglass top... no wood left. And then rebuilt out of 1 1/2” foam laminated with epoxy. I then skinned the bottom with thin door skin plywood. I wanted it to be as light as possible and super well insulated. I would have skipped the door skin if I had had known how I was going to finish it. Ended up with the vinyl headliner but I was considering some type of laminate at the time....
I was VERY careful with maintaining the position of all of the mounting points for the scissor mechanism so I did not have to trial and error to get it to center on closing!
Best of luck! I would avoid putting any extra holes in the top... less chance of leaking. If you are going to laminate plywood directly make sure you ground the inside surface well. You can use polyester , vinyl ester or epoxy resins

D2E8EDF1-4242-49C4-8D8B-1C4CA4BC393E.jpeg

EA49F248-D1AA-49EF-A390-C01FA8DBCE26.jpeg

DC798DA2-70E8-4273-BADD-C864F59C8E89.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom