Builds 2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Chinook build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did not get much done today but sort of got my game plan together on my little galley kitchen... I worked out my sink drain and how the fridge will vent. I am partitioning the back of the fridge as well as the area to store the tiny gas grill so it is completely segregated from the living area. The grill then can be pulled out onto the shelf created by the piano hinged diamond plate hatch... no doubt where I will cook the most...All the propane connections will be outside, including the feed to the 3 way fridge.

IMG_7670.JPG

IMG_7673.JPG

IMG_7674.JPG

It is looking good!

I got the Air lift airbags installed today... big difference! They are rated for 5-100 lbs so I put 50 lbs for a test ride. Probably lifted the truck 1 1/2". No onboard air yet so I put the fill valves inside the aluminum utility box behind the cab on the driver's side.
... As a bonus, I was able to leave the Superspring helper springs by taking the spacer out from between the helper and top leaf springs! I did have to replace the U bolts with one's an inch longer to install like this...
Looked into Fire stone and Air Lift and both seam to have good reputations... Went Air Lift because they were $100 cheaper at $220....
I left the wheel wells open so I can be sure I do not have a leak. Gave them the soapy water test but wanted to give them overnight to be sure they do not leak down....

IMG_7691.JPG

IMG_7690.JPG

IMG_7692.JPG

Most of the interior structure is done. Fuel gauge for extra tank is behind the driver's seat on the front of the bench...8
The bed is being done in 3 pieces. 2 fixed benches of 25"x52" and a center piece of 22"x52" will drop in the middle. It will store inside the slot on the passenger side bench...think like a table leaf.... it is a standard full size bed together.
I am going to use this exotic wood as an accent, not sure what it is.

IMG_7701.JPG

IMG_7702.JPG

IMG_7703.JPG

Last edited:
Worked on the walk through upholstery. Glued 1/2" sew foam with spray adhesive and then stretched and stapled the grey marine vinyl with monel staples. Also mounted the articulating mount for the tiny flat screen, and I mean tiny! Might want to stream Netflix on a rainy day.
My day started off crappy with a shop accident. I started an ancient Clark forklift and it started in gear! It rolled over my flip flopped foot! I grabbed the shifter to put it in neutral and in my freaked out state put it in reverse and it ran over me again! Holy s***! No broken or crushed bones...sort of twisted the skin off my big toe but I feel better than I have a right to....
I am headed to Mexico on Saturday for a scuba diving trip and am hoping it heals quickly and doesn't screw up my diving.

IMG_7723.JPG

IMG_7716.JPG

IMG_7727.JPG

IMG_7727.JPG

IMG_7730.JPG

I was unhappy with my foam one's so I remade the trim pieces today that connect the headliner to the walk through upholstery..l ripped a slot in 1" PEK plastic tubing, bent it after heating with a heat gun then spray glued my grey hull liner felt to it... came out nice. The headliner will release if I ever have an unfortunate event where the side curtain airbags blow...it's funny how a tiny project like this will take the better part of a day!

IMG_7731.JPG

IMG_7732.JPG

Nice finish .
I completala agree , small , detailed work may take a long timer to be donde right .
THE problem is that no onde can se such work or time .
Il you ha e to play some one for it , the bill Will be astronomical.

By Renago

Nice finish .
I completala agree , small , detailed work may take a long timer to be donde right .
THE problem is that no onde can se such work or time .
Il you ha e to play some one for it , the bill Will be astronomical.

By Renago
Exactly correct Renago! If I had to pay someone to build this rig I could not afford it...can not put a price on a labor of love though!

I'd sure like to see close up pics of how that linkage and bracketry works on lifting
the roof. How high does it go?

I'd sure like to see close up pics of how that linkage and bracketry works on lifting
the roof. How high does it go?
It is a well designed scissor with one side pivoting on a 3/8” clevis pin and the other pivoting a a heavy slide... balanced by a stout 1 1/2” spring. The top weighs an estimated 175 lbs but a kid can open and close it. I did not design it. Worked so good that I just reconditioned it...
It raises up 22” giving me 6’3” of head room inside.

B95607FE-7938-411E-AA0C-5AF5619DC115.jpeg

71A5C8E9-7BD5-472E-8F3A-401A44D34253.jpeg

62E4ACE0-4571-4D42-897D-2E6E13D47EBB.jpeg

2C006616-4BB9-414F-B1F7-E89F8522B34A.jpeg

Worked on my little kitchen today. Ripped the counter down to size leaving room for my exotic wood edge banding. Drilled it out and mounted the faucet and caulked in the stove/sink unit... Got the drain in place and a spot figured out for the 12 volt demand pump...there is a 3/8" ID hose from the water tank that will "T" to feed the sink and hand held shower.... to refresh everyone's memory, my aluminum water tank (aprox 15 gallons) was fabricated to heat the water off the trucks exhaust system and will give us warm water to shower with....

No updates for a bit as I am headed to Mexico to do some scuba diving and fishing for a week!

IMG_7743.JPG

IMG_7744.JPG

IMG_7745.JPG

Worked on the walk through upholstery. Glued 1/2" sew foam with spray adhesive and then stretched and stapled the grey marine vinyl with monel staples. Also mounted the articulating mount for the tiny flat screen, and I mean tiny! Might want to stream Netflix on a rainy day.
My day started off crappy with a shop accident. I started an ancient Clark forklift and it started in gear! It rolled over my flip flopped foot! I grabbed the shifter to put it in neutral and in my freaked out state put it in reverse and it ran over me again! Holy s***! No broken or crushed bones...sort of twisted the skin off my big toe but I feel better than I have a right to....
I am headed to Mexico on Saturday for a scuba diving trip and am hoping it heals quickly and doesn't screw up my diving.

View attachment 1679857

View attachment 1679858

View attachment 1679859

View attachment 1679861

View attachment 1679863
sorry to hear about your foot. hope it heals quickley!

Back from travels and ready to get back on it...had a few packages waiting for me. My tiny gas grill and handheld shower!...I need to modify the little SS grill to fit. It will fit nicely without the legs and tall handle...Maybe remove the legs and mount on some slides. I also need to plumb the propane line directly to the regulator/control knob. This one was designed for a tiny LP bottle.

IMG_8048.JPG

I modified the little grill by cutting the legs down and shortening the handle. It now fits in its space. I may mount it on slides one day but I have enough projects on my plate for now...
Also got the hand held shower mounted in the forward aluminum utility box.... ended up with a bidet sprayer with coiled hose. Finding a hand held shower with a trigger is not easy it turns out. I need to get the pump mounted. I have not done any electrical work yet... I guess it is time.
Also ordered the snorkel kit today!

IMG_8050.JPG

IMG_8049.JPG

IMG_8052.JPG

IMG_8051.JPG

I could not get anything complete today...Murphy had his eye on me all day.
My awesome wife however was in full upholstery mode. The couch/bed covers are under way. She made the mattress covers out of a stretchy type of fabric so the foam does not chafe on the upholstery fabric. The mattress is 4" thick... 2" of memory foam laminated to 2" of firm foam, pretty comfy! She is using a box design that is only 2 pieces of fabric per cushion... 1 for the top that also wraps the 4 edges with the colored fabric and another non slip fabric for the bottom that has a zipper running in the middle the long way... clean method!
My kitchen Island and dining table are the sewing shop at the moment...

IMG_8054.JPG

IMG_8058.JPG

IMG_8057.JPG

IMG_8056.JPG

its coming along!

Making slow headway on the inside. Trimmed the little galley counter with the exotic hardwood. Also made a small counter extension that will hinge to stow vertically when not in use. Ron (Watt Maker) was correct in identifying it as Zebrawood, according to a wood worker in our neighborhood... had a design error with my spot to store the bed center plywood. My steel cab frame was not taken into consideration so I cut the plywood in half and piano hinged it back together... fabricated structure to support the bench tops out of 1" aluminum square tube...
And my wife is kicking some upholstery ass! Even made some pillow covers! Our little sewing machine could not handle the heavy duty zippers so my buddy who does marine canvas is helping us out tomorrow at his shop....
I have so much to do inside but it is sure nice to see some finishes coming together!

IMG_8069.JPG

IMG_8075.JPG

IMG_8076.JPG

IMG_8077.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom