2006 LC but no VVTi??? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I forum member, 2001LC, advised me to check if the intake of my 2006 LC (VIN: JTEHT05J902092706) was a black plastic one. I took the engine cover off and discovered the intake was aluminum, which I was told was a sign of a non-VVTi engine. To my knowledge all 2006-2007-year models came with a VVTi but, apparently, mine isn't. Anyone else with a non-VVTi 2006?

20180114_124942.jpg

Correct, some markets did not get the VVTI motor.

Thanks for the input, hoser:).

What are the cons of not having the VVTi apart from the obvious - 35 hp less. Are there any pros to make up for this defficit?

If your timing belt ever breaks, consensus is that your motor will be fine, whereas the VVT-i stands a fair chance of an early demise.

mine looks like yours.
to differentiate between the vvti and non vvti is the black intake vs aluminum intake?

On the VVT motors there is an induction pump underneath the intake, you can peek btween plenumns and see if its there, the cam gear looks completely diferent (you’d have to remove cover to see).

What I found interesting on Kolyo’s Swiss 2006 100 is the charcoal cannister in the engine bay- looks to be a completely different part compared to our US 04-07 models where its plumbed to the spare tire carrier location.

On the VVT motors there is an induction pump underneath the intake, you can peek btween plenumns and see if its there, the cam gear looks completely diferent (you’d have to remove cover to see).

Does this mean my engine could still be vvti despite the aluminum intake?

Does this mean my engine could still be vvti despite the aluminum intake?

Not sure how the black plastic VVT intake differs in design from the previous aluminum type found on non-vvt engines, but its unlikely that production would utilize left over part from earlier production(non vvt engines) 7 months after start of production with the new motor, loosely concluding that you have a Non-VVT motor. It just occurred to me that by checking the VIN is another way to determine engine & transmission package. From this EU portal, I can't determine however if its VVT or not but maybe your dealer parts or service can verify with more detail by your VIN#.

Toyota Land Cruiser - UZJ100L-GNAEKW complectation - Genuine parts

Thank you again, abuck99:) I'll do my best to get a definitive answer to my question.

Some of the easiest to spot hallmarks of the VVT engine:

Black plastic Intake. This is a ACIS intake manifold, which has a row of 8 butterfly valves across the top of inside. These open shorting the distance air must travel.
062.JPG
064.JPG
Intake VVT.JPG

VVT controller on the front end of headcover (cam journal). In the OP picture it is clearly not present.
156.JPG

Additionally the top timing belt cover protrudes out further on the VVT, to accommodate the VVT actuator. The DS cover has a sticker with notation concerning the VVT actuators.
002.JPG

Last edited:
The 2UZ-fe and 2UZ-fe VVt-i are officially interference engines, according to Toyota.
Which means the valves will contact pistons tops if camshaft and crankshaft rotation is not keep in unison within a specific range. During a timing belt break, while engine running, the camshafts stop rotating leaving some valves open. While the crankshaft continues at least a few more revaluation, moving piston up into contact with valves "interference"

In the real world it's seem these are not interference engines. Edited 1/18/18
We've many accounts in mud of Timing belt breaks under load in the non 2UZ VVT engine, without any interference. We've also accounts of crankshafts being rotated with timing belt off, without any interference.

I recently rotated the crankshaft more than 360 deg with timing belt off on this 2UZ-fe VVT engine. Where as I can't say for certain that any intake valves where fully extended, although it did appear two where. I did have 5 exhaust valve stuck wide open. There was no Interference in this 2UZ-fe VVT engine. But this is not under load.

Edites 1/18/18: I just spoke with one of the most knowledgeable Toyota Service manager I've ever come across. He does much the same as I buying and restore 80 and 100 series. Was a tech for many years before become a service manager. He works at one of the top rated Toyota Service center (Dealership) in the world. He said the 2UZ-fe VVT-i is an interference engine. It happen at their shop when a Tech use the "T" marks (wrong mark) while doing a timing belt job. After assemble while reving to burp, the engine blew. Piston tops damaged and valves bent. They bought the customer a new engine.

2UZ 4Runner 014.JPG

Next chance I get I'll make sure some intakes values are fully open, to get a better idea of the VVT interference question.

I suppose it is possible a very loose engine with weak valve springs could interfere under load. But that would be rare with the 2UZ-fe to be so loose, based on the break down condition of the Tundra 1 million mile engine, it was still tight!
Million Mile Tundra: The Tear Down

Last edited:
I was reading earlier that both the VVT and earlier model 2UZFE was NON interference. :hmm:

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 12.29.55 PM.png

(although this engine looks like a 1UZ in the picture)

Last edited:
So, if the t-belt breaks which engine cylinders go bust -- ordinary 2UZ-FE's or the VVTi's?

So, if the t-belt breaks which engine cylinders go bust -- ordinary 2UZ-FE's or the VVTi's?

You have a better chance of getting hit by lightning than breaking a 100 series TB. I have seen several with over 250K not that I endorse waiting for 250K just not a common issue rather rare.

I just spoke with one of the most knowledgeable Toyota Service manager I've ever come across. He does much the same as I buying and restore. Was a tech for many years before become a service manager at Toyota. He works at one of the top rated Toyota Service center (Dealership) in the country.

He said the 2UZ-fe VVT-i is an interference engine.

It happen at their shop when a Tech use the "T" marks (wrong mark) while doing a timing belt job. After assemble while reving to burp coolant system, the engine blew. Piston tops damaged and valves bent. They bought the customer a new engine.

I just spoke with one of the most knowledgeable Toyota Service manager I've ever come across. He does much the same as I buying and restore. Was a tech for many years before become a service manager at Toyota. He works at one of the top rated Toyota Service center (Dealership) in the country.

It happen at their shop when a Tech use the "T" marks (wrong mark) while doing a timing belt job. After assemble while reving to burp coolant system, the engine blew. Piston tops damaged and valves bent. They bought the customer a new engine.

Ask him how many 4.7 they have seen with a broken t belt?

On a less scientific note, I drove today a 2006 Lexus LX470 with a VVTi engine belonging to a friend of mine to compare how it feels against my non-VVTi 2006 Land Cruiser. Didn't notice a difference worth mentioning. My mechanic told me that high mileage post 2005 VVTi engines were more prone to problems compared to the regular 2UZ-FE.

As for the TB and WP replacement I have no record from the PO if it had EVER been done on my 123K miles LC so I think I better do it for peace of mind.

This guy is in Colorado?

Really?

I would be very interested in talking with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom