274k mile fuel filter cut open (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, here is my fuel filter off my 1997 LX450. I believe this is the original fuel filter. 274k miles!
As you can see in the 2nd picture, inside the filter was just plain nasty! There was so much dirt it looked like sand falling out. As you can see in the 3rd and 4th photo, that is all dirt caked onto the paper element.
Changing the fuel filter was actually pretty easy. ENJOY!!

20171016_191543.jpg

20171016_191557.jpg

20171016_191743.jpg

20171016_192107.jpg

20171016_192139.jpg

Sand trap.

Sandy Ego.

Good pics, might motivate somebody to change theirs - we are going to start/continue to see some of these sort of things since now the newest USDM 80 is a full 2 decades old.

Are you going to wash it out and put it all back together for a reinstall? :rofl:

When I first read it I thought it said 'oil filter' and I was like whaaaaaaaa!

This is awesome - not sure what part of the country you are in? How long have you had this rig? Always fuel from the same station?

Looks like a filter change every 100k would be a good interval.

I have two of these on my list for the weekend. I'm continually amazed at the timeliness of posts here.

EDIT:
It amazes me how much trash gets into what is supposed to be a closed system. You might want to consider replacing the gasket on your fuel filler cap. The part number is 77316-16010.

Last edited:
Yeah, definitely going to service the fuel pump components now. I'm surprised fuel even got through the filter.

This is awesome - not sure what part of the country you are in? How long have you had this rig? Always fuel from the same station?

According to this report, ~250K miles?

I checked the record on the Lexus website, this Lx450 was purchased brand new from Southern California. I live up in northern California. I'm the 3rd owner. Previous owner was my brother so it's been on west coast most of its life.
I've owned the Lx450 for about 3 yrs now and about 30k miles. My brother had it for 40k miles. I've lways ran chevron 91 or shell 91 gas. She's been off road tho. Evidence is on the under carriage when I got her. Mud caked everywhere.
Since this filter isn't too hard to change maybe Ill to go for every 30k or so. I will cut open the filter next time I change it post it up here.

It amazes me how much trash gets into what is supposed to be a closed system. ...

So, that mileage would take what, ~20000 gallons of gasoline? There is what 1/4 cup of sand in that filter,, maybe? Back in the day would see fuel systems clogged in short order, remove tanks and find a beach in them. It amazes me how clean our fuel supplies and systems are now days.

A Toyota tech once told me to never bother unless I have a significant issue with the fuel filter regardless of the mileage, and there is no mention of an interval for the filter in the FSM.

Is it worth changing? Although the filter looks terrible, I'd be afraid of creating an issue out of nothing by changing it.

I changed mine out at 170k, and now I'm especially glad I did!

A Toyota tech once told me to never bother unless I have a significant issue with the fuel filter regardless of the mileage, and there is no mention of an interval for the filter in the FSM.

Is it worth changing? Although the filter looks terrible, I'd be afraid of creating an issue out of nothing by changing it.

No issues to be created by changing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom