Wanted/Help: 2F Engine Tuning Help Needed in PA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Spent the last few weeks trying to get my 79 rebuilt 2F motor running correctly and am at my breaking point. If there is anyone out there that's local that could offer some assistance on-site I would gladly pay for your time :) I am located right outside Philadelphia in Media off Route 1 and 252 and could really use some expertise on what how to get this set-up properly. Please send a PM if you can help and I will send over my cell for contact

I think we should take another crack at it. Maybe down at my shop where we have access to compression tester and leak down tool...
Tell us more about what it's doing?

Last edited:
It is really hard to say without knowing anything about your truck. Are you desmogged, or do you have all of the OEM smog equipment?

Two suggestions for nearly any 40 owner having trouble.....

Check for vacuum leaks - especially cracks under the intake
Buy a Trollhole carb

Air fuel and fire. Double check the basics. Do you have a compression tester. Firing order correct? Is the engine timing right? It can look right and still be off like 180* iirc

It was a full frame of restore that was supposed to arrive 100%

Sorry to hear about your headache. Was this an ebay purchase, if so who was the seller? If not, how did you acquire it? There are a few very shady Cruiser "restoration experts" out there...

Coil is next on my list and I plan on taking another stab at it this weekend. Did not purchase through eBay but rather through Terracrusiers which i would NOT recommend. The more I dig in, the more shotty I find all the work that was done. At this point I am just trying to stop the bleeding before shipping it off to a US cruiser expert to give it a once over.

If it wasn't for this being the week of coal mine I'd say let's go visit arcteryX33 and see what's happening. I might be able to swing by next week, Tuesday would probably be the only day. Anyone wanna meet me there and we'll see what's happening? And can you post a few clear pictures of the engine- one of the distributor side, one of the carb side with the air cleaner removed, for example? I'd like to see if you have the big distributor or the small one. Do you know if it has points or is it an electronic (breakerless) ignition? If I know what you have I can bring some parts down in case you need them.

And maybe a little history- your engine was recently rebuilt? By whom and what all do you think was done to it? Was it already rebuilt when you took delivery of the truck? If we visit you should have a fully charged battery in the truck and a small jar of gas just in case. If it ran at all it should run again. The more info you provide (along with a few pictures) the better your chances of getting some help.

Sounds like Keystone Cruisers has a reason for there first Tech day!!:bounce::bounce2:
:beer::beer::beer:

If it wasn't for this being the week of coal mine I'd say let's go visit arcteryX33 and see what's happening. I might be able to swing by next week, Tuesday would probably be the only day. Anyone wanna meet me there and we'll see what's happening? And can you post a few clear pictures of the engine- one of the distributor side, one of the carb side with the air cleaner removed, for example? I'd like to see if you have the big distributor or the small one. Do you know if it has points or is it an electronic (breakerless) ignition? If I know what you have I can bring some parts down in case you need

Yeah, after this week of Coal Mine I will be able to put some time in on this.
The offer from Shmukster to come lay hands on, is incredibly generous and will have positive results. Make it happen, I'd be psyched to join you guys.

Last edited:
Guys, no rush at all. Anytime over the next few months would be greatly appreciated. This is by no means an emergency just hate looking at sitting in my driveway.

Detailed pics of everything will get posted today. Engine was completely rebuilt prior to purchase. For reference it is this truck:
TerraCruisers - Built to Last -
There are some detailed pics of the motor on the listing but I will snap a few of the items in question. Compression test still needs to be completed but when I had it running I was able to drive it for the most part back and forth to Pacer's place. I did all of the work the get things put back together but purchased a remanufactured head from country cruiser as a drop in. I still have the old head just in case but when running it seemed the replacement worked fine. I have also replaced the gas tank (leaking on arrival)and fuel sending unit, filters, cap and rotor, and a few things when completing the rebuild

Word to anyone thinking about purchasing an SA restore; don't... especially from these guys. Please learn from my extremely expensive mistake

The truck looks absolutely awesome!!!!! So you replaced the cylinder head? If so, why? Did you do it yourself? First things I'd check is compression, whether or not there is spark, and if there is fuel getting through the carburetor. Once it's running then look for vacuum leaks. Looking forward to seeing current engine pics. Will be away from the computer until next Sunday but Pacer or Crusha will probably have a laptop at coal mine.

Yup, I did the head swap as the original was warped after the overheating. Easier to source a drop-in than to send out out. He our some pics from today that should answer some questions.

IMG_3290.JPG

IMG_3291.JPG

IMG_3292.JPG

IMG_3294.JPG

IMG_3295.JPG

I'd be happy to come down and help out as well. I'm relatively close and can bring whatever tooling is needed. As Gary mentioned start with the basics. Air, fuel, spark, and squish. Find out which (if any) you are lacking then develop a plan of attack from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom