Road Closures Affecting Outdoor Recreation in Wharton State Park, New Jersey (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PAToyota

Keystone Cruisers
SILVER Star
Threads
From the Land Use forum - I figure it is relevant to our region and members:

Public land and waters on the East Coast is a rarity therefore any proposal on the East coast that closes the already limited access of public lands needs to be strongly opposed. The Wharton State Forest in New Jersey encompasses 122,880 acres. It is the largest state park in the state of New Jersey. The forest holds ponds, rivers, lakes, hiking trails, campsites & miles of unpaved roads that give access to canoeing, kayaking, fishing, swimming as well as full sized 4×4 vehicles, OHV’s and motorcycle use. The state forest offers a retreat from cities such as Atlantic City and Philadelphia. One of the most popular uses for the forest is stargazing because the public land offers seclusion from city lights.

Hmm, hello there, I’m just popping in to say hi, and saw this post. My wife and I visited the Wharton State Forest way back in 98 or 99. We spent the day there bopping around in our old Jeep and having a picnic lunch. We came away from there thinking, how sad the way it was being torn up by errant drivers for no good reason. I’m surprised it has taken the state 25 years to close it down. Somehow we have to figure out how to police our own community, or the gates are gonna keep going up. Over the years I have called out many a douche bag for driving off the trail, only to be admonished as a hater. People are generally stupid, unaware, uneducated, and feel entitled to do whatever they want. Nothing worse than a Karen on the trails. Then we, the responsible ones, end up paying the price. It tis a kunundrum with no easy answers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom