What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (87 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why are they so expensive 1045 dual USB charger are they better than the Chinese ones on eBay ??

Most USB outlets do not have the compatible chip set to provide over 1a to Apple products. Blue Sea developed and chipped the 1039 and 1045 to deliver full power to Apple products.

JerryB could you explain with a little more detail- what center USB wires? Thx

just for simplicity, the blue sea is wired to be a transfer cable, when it is advertised as a charger. For apple that might be good, or not, Idk. I know apple tablets charge on it, but at what rate Idk. I know that certain tablets won't charge on it, but most will, or should, even if amp limited. A samsung my girlfriend had wouldn't, nexus tabs charged at a lower rate. All devices are different though.

I guess the reason blue sea is wired like that is for apple stuff. I don't keep current on apple proprietary stuff. Nor am I an expert on usb protocol. I'm just an android nerd and I've dealt a lot with usb otg and and trying to find a usb c that would charge at a proper rate. The blues sea doesn't. Nor will it charge anywhere near 2000ma, or even 1300ma.
The blue seas are fine, they aren't garbage, they're going to charge your stuff. They're just a little misleading about they are offering.

some more reading.

But, it gets even worse. A properly designed USB 2.0 port that sees no data activity after a timeout period is supposed to drop from a 100mA current limit to a 2.5mA current limit. Now, there are plenty of USB ports that don't bother with that part of the spec. But some do, and using that "charging" cable will get you basically no charging at all, rather than just 1/5th of what you'd likely get with a proper USB cable.

If you're connected to a charge-only port, and it's up-to-date, you'll follow the USB Battery Charging Standard. Now, it's actually possible to make a cable without the data wires, that follows this protocol... sort of. The convention for the USB Battery Charging Standard, 1.2 version (aka "BC1.2"), is that D+ and D- be connected together. So rather than run all four wires, a "charging cable" could simply short D+ and D- together at the "B" port, to tell your device that you're connected to a charge-only port. And if you plugged that into a charge-only port, you'd get the higher current charge... but as above, if you used a data port, even just to charge.

This will cause even more problems with older devices. Prior to BC1.2, a bunch of proprietary conventions were established to let devices know they were plugged into a charge-only port. This usually involved biasing D+ and D- ports with specific voltages, so that the device would know that it's connected to a charge-only port -- Apple's convention, for example, puts a low voltage on D+ and a variable voltage on D- depending on whether its a 0.5A or a 1A charger. The BC1.2 protocol makes it easy for devices to support both old and new protocols, but using the "charging cable", the kind of charge will not be known by the device under charge -- it's going to assume it's a new-style battery charging port (if D+ and D- are shorted) or it'll be completely confused if there's just no wire there. With current devices, the charging cable does charge correctly if it's made with D+ and D- shorted at the "B" end.

In short, know what you're buying. There's usually no reason to use a charge-only cable in most places. And in fact, since they're made in much lower volumes than standard USB cables, you'll likely pay more for the same length cable, and it won't necessarily work properly.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-a-USB-charging-cable-and-a-data-cable

just for simplicity, the blue sea is wired to be a transfer cable, when it is advertised as a charger. For apple that might be good, or not, Idk. I know apple tablets charge on it, but at what rate Idk. I know that certain tablets won't charge on it, but most will, or should, even if amp limited. A samsung my girlfriend had wouldn't, nexus tabs charged at a lower rate. All devices are different though.

I guess the reason blue sea is wired like that is for apple stuff. I don't keep current on apple proprietary stuff. Nor am I an expert on usb protocol. I'm just an android nerd and I've dealt a lot with usb otg and and trying to find a usb c that would charge at a proper rate. The blues sea doesn't. Nor will it charge anywhere near 2000ma, or even 1300ma.
The blue seas are fine, they aren't garbage, they're going to charge your stuff. They're just a little misleading about they are offering.

some more reading.

But, it gets even worse. A properly designed USB 2.0 port that sees no data activity after a timeout period is supposed to drop from a 100mA current limit to a 2.5mA current limit. Now, there are plenty of USB ports that don't bother with that part of the spec. But some do, and using that "charging" cable will get you basically no charging at all, rather than just 1/5th of what you'd likely get with a proper USB cable.

If you're connected to a charge-only port, and it's up-to-date, you'll follow the USB Battery Charging Standard. Now, it's actually possible to make a cable without the data wires, that follows this protocol... sort of. The convention for the USB Battery Charging Standard, 1.2 version (aka "BC1.2"), is that D+ and D- be connected together. So rather than run all four wires, a "charging cable" could simply short D+ and D- together at the "B" port, to tell your device that you're connected to a charge-only port. And if you plugged that into a charge-only port, you'd get the higher current charge... but as above, if you used a data port, even just to charge.

This will cause even more problems with older devices. Prior to BC1.2, a bunch of proprietary conventions were established to let devices know they were plugged into a charge-only port. This usually involved biasing D+ and D- ports with specific voltages, so that the device would know that it's connected to a charge-only port -- Apple's convention, for example, puts a low voltage on D+ and a variable voltage on D- depending on whether its a 0.5A or a 1A charger. The BC1.2 protocol makes it easy for devices to support both old and new protocols, but using the "charging cable", the kind of charge will not be known by the device under charge -- it's going to assume it's a new-style battery charging port (if D+ and D- are shorted) or it'll be completely confused if there's just no wire there. With current devices, the charging cable does charge correctly if it's made with D+ and D- shorted at the "B" end.

In short, know what you're buying. There's usually no reason to use a charge-only cable in most places. And in fact, since they're made in much lower volumes than standard USB cables, you'll likely pay more for the same length cable, and it won't necessarily work properly.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-a-USB-charging-cable-and-a-data-cable
Wowzer- makes my brain ache.

Thank you for providing the answer JerryB

Nice! How did you get the panel cover thingy that houses the outlets and ash try off? Just pull hard? Any hidden screws?

Pull the center console straight up and the panel straight out.

Nice! How did you get the panel cover thingy that houses the outlets and ash try off? Just pull hard? Any hidden screws?

No screws just friction clips.

Easiest to pull the gear shifter console first; like Phil described from cupholders straight up, then the cig lighter/ash tray section second. On the cig lighter section, using a plastic trim tool to pry the upper left or right corner first helped me get it started.

IMG_1319.JPG
Quick & easy Slee rear ladder mtn bike mount.

Pull the center console straight up and the panel straight out.

No screws just friction clips.

Easiest to pull the gear shifter console first; like Phil described from cupholders straight up, then the cig lighter/ash tray section second. On the cig lighter section, using a plastic trim tool to pry the upper left or right corner first helped me get it started.

Thanks guys! Think I'll try out this $3 4.2A dual USB socket from eBay that I never installed.

Took a quick camping trip with @bushdoctor up Toro Peak in the Santa Rosa mountains

Aired down and headed up the mountain
toro1.jpg

Found a shady spot off the beaten path
toro2.jpg

Found the limits of ATRAC (and/or my ability to choose a line) while trying to go around a fallen tree
toro4.jpg

Somehow forgot to take pictures of @bushdoctor winching me out!
toro3.jpg

Last edited:
Installed the Vais Tech SL3B bluetooth modul. More details in my build thread.

20170618_141532.jpg

I have been planning a bike mount using my inventory of existing trays. However yours looks like a simple fork mount up top only. Can you share some close up photos of what you did? Please........and Thanks.

Yep, just a fork mount bolted to the top of the ladder. I'll get some more photos in the morning.

@jdayment how do you like the covers? I installed mine about a month ago and so far so good! They look good!

@jdayment how do you like the covers? I installed mine about a month ago and so far so good! They look good!

They're great just did 200 miles in the drivers seat and it was great. Really impressed with the fit and quality color isnt exact but close enough. Wife likes the so happy wife happy life.

Started working on my overland/camping set up, pretty happy with it. This is mainly so I can get out this weekend an experiment with space. Cost was about 30 bucks for the turnbuckle hardware, looks like home depot is pricey, the rest is all just scraps. Now that I'm actually working on my truck, I feel compelled to name her.

IMG-2005364694.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom