Builds Mo's 2014 Sequoia Build Thread ... Already In Progress (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How does the Sequoia do daily driving vs. your GX470? I have a GX470 now but with four kids, it is getting cramped on our long road trips. Off-road is mostly forest service roads and mud. No tight trails or rock crawling. I am thinking the extra space will be worth it.

How does the Sequoia do daily driving vs. your GX470? I have a GX470 now but with four kids, it is getting cramped on our long road trips. Off-road is mostly forest service roads and mud. No tight trails or rock crawling. I am thinking the extra space will be worth it.
I like my GX470. It is extremely nimble and because it's a Lexus product, everything seems noticeable better from the air conditioner to the power windows.

The Sequoia is bigger and chunkier, but if you're not driving on tight trails or rock crawling then it is more than a competent off-roader.

I just reached the point though, that the GX just wasn't a big enough people hauler, that I had to either go big with a SUV or go minivan. You see which route I chose.

The cool factor with a GX and a Sequoia is that no one (except us) ever expects these cars to look aggressive. So everyone takes notice when you start modifying them for off-road use. You get tons of positive feedback and compliments daily from many people (and that is especially true from valets and security guards).

Last edited:
A few more photos. One showing how handy the front hitch on this bumper is and a few with new shoes. BFG AT- K02 - 275-60-20. I was debating between these and 275/65/20 and I'm glad I went with the 60s. Not bad on noise or ride - I can definitely hear the tires but the ride is nice and smooth up to highway speeds. I also ordered a couple of the spot lights from Magnum that fit into their bumper and wired them to the factory fog light switch. The only negative with that is I can't turn the spots on with the brights. I'll probably wire to a new switch, or to my LED bar switch, when I add two more. No more mods for me, at least nothing planned :). Thanks again for the original post Mo.

20161125_155202.jpg
20161216_134125.jpg
20161216_134119.jpg
20161216_134114.jpg

A few more photos. One showing how handy the front hitch on this bumper is and a few with new shoes. BFG AT- K02 - 275-60-20. I was debating between these and 275/65/20 and I'm glad I went with the 60s. Not bad on noise or ride - I can definitely hear the tires but the ride is nice and smooth up to highway speeds. I also ordered a couple of the spot lights from Magnum that fit into their bumper and wired them to the factory fog light switch. The only negative with that is I can't turn the spots on with the brights. I'll probably wire to a new switch, or to my LED bar switch, when I add two more. No more mods for me, at least nothing planned :). Thanks again for the original post Mo.

View attachment 1368798 View attachment 1368799 View attachment 1368800 View attachment 1368801
Your Sequoia is looking awesome! I have never even thought about using the front hitch like that. It's good to be innovative.

A couple months back, I installed Wellvisor Offroad Window Visors. I have really enjoyed them so far especially when I feel like lighting up a cigar on a drizzling day.

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1137.JPG

I added a D ring hitch receiver mount made by Smittybult. I spray painted it matte black and added some Daystar D ring isolators painted to match my front bumper D rings.

IMG_1138.JPG

IMG_1141.JPG

Last edited:
One interior addition I've been pondering which really completes the custom interior look is a leather armrest cover. For less than $100, Leatherseats.com made it for me to match the seat covers I installed (also from LS). It's padded too which is surprisingly comfortable. I removed the lid myself but had a pro install it for me out of fear I'd ruin it.

IMG_1140.JPG

IMG_1139.JPG

Last edited:
Mo that is a sick sequoia! Nice build man! But gotta say those wheels are ugly... you should sell them to me

But gotta say those wheels are ugly... you should sell them to me
Ha! I have always been a huge fan of the Rock Warrior wheels. It stinks that they cost so much on the secondary market for a clean set now a days (it even stinks for me because I am still trying to find a spare wheel). I used to see sets selling on Craigslist for reasonable prices (which is how I found mine for $500), but times have changed. Now I see a lot of Tundra TRD Pro wheels for sale for $800 and under (even saw a set for $400), but I am not as big of a fan of those rims.

Last edited:
Yea I wished they still made them, pretty hard to find a set now. I have a set of 17" XD cranks that I found on CL for cheap that work but not quite as pretty but do have a better offset than the RW wheels. I noticed you have Texas plates, where abouts are you located?

I live in Houston, Texas. If anybody is ever in the area and wants to grab a beer and talk trucks then let me know.

I live in Houston, Texas. If anybody is ever in the area and wants to grab a beer and talk trucks then let me know.
I might take you up on that one day, my brother lives in Katy and I'm about 2hrs north in Franklin.

Just curious:
Was the only way the bumper fit with the rock warrior grill?
Did the side steps fit perfectily or did they require mod? I assume you got the crew cab model and the wheel well to wheel well?
Thanks, and SICK RIG!
I just put 5100s all the way around, the RevTek 441r and diff drop and 275/65/20 G2 Nittos on and love it, but it needs a bumper and new side steps! I will probably get the bumper with the winch slot and stick a winch in there too

Just curious:
Was the only way the bumper fit with the rock warrior grill?
Did the side steps fit perfectily or did they require mod? I assume you got the crew cab model and the wheel well to wheel well?
Thanks, and SICK RIG!
I just put 5100s all the way around, the RevTek 441r and diff drop and 275/65/20 G2 Nittos on and love it, but it needs a bumper and new side steps! I will probably get the bumper with the winch slot and stick a winch in there too

Yes, sequoia grille is a bit shorter than Tundra grille and leaves a bit of a gap with a Tundra bumper. See attached photo of chrome sequoia grill over Tundra bumper.
Screenshot_20170317-140445.png

Yes, sequoia grille is a bit shorter than Tundra grille and leaves a bit of a gap with a Tundra bumper. See attached photo of chrome sequoia grill over Tundra bumper. View attachment 1422547

Thanks Mike for the picture, it speaks for itself!

Nevertheless being repetitive, the Tundra grill is shaped differently than the Sequoia's grill and because it is shaped differently, the difference is especially noticeable when you install a Tundra designed bumper (as are most aftermarket bumpers that will fit a Sequoia). The hood with a Sequoia grill may still securely latch after a Tundra bumper is installed, I just never tried it. I knew when I bought the bumper, I'd replace the grill. I found a rock warrior grill for $150 new on Craigslist. By the way, I think any 07-13 Tundra grill should work, you don't have to get a rock warrior specific grill.

Suprisingly, the side steps are NOT made for a Supercrew Tundra, they are made for the Doublecab model. They do fit from front wheel well to back wheel well. If I remember correctly, there are four brackets per side, and the front three on each side fit perfectly. The final bracket on each side did not but I didn't rig a solution because I really didn't believe it presented a stability issue. I'm a big guy and I bounced around on the back step to test it without esperiencing any issues.

Last edited:
Maybe either you or @mikemccollum can answera question for me as I was looking at the ICI Magnum fr bumper -

-Does a Warn Zeon 10K fit?

-Is the construction 1/2" plate for the recovery eyes/framerail tie-ins, with 1/4" inner structure & 3/16" skin?

These & the Fab Fours/Devolro are the 2 bumpers I'm down to.

Thanks guys!

Maybe either you or @mikemccollum can answera question for me as I was looking at the ICI Magnum fr bumper -

-Does a Warn Zeon 10K fit?

-Is the construction 1/2" plate for the recovery eyes/framerail tie-ins, with 1/4" inner structure & 3/16" skin?

These & the Fab Fours/Devolro are the 2 bumpers I'm down to.

Thanks guys!
Sorry for not responding sooner but I don't have answers to your questions, I will have to ask ICI. I'll post their response after I get it.

Like this thread. I have an '08 Sequoia and have done a Kevlar finish, Gobi roof rack. I also put a 2" receiver into the front bumper, but tore it up a little bit hunting. I really like the ICI bumper. Would like to have a winch and a 2" receiver if possible. Do you think there's enough real estate there to put the receiver right above the winch opening?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom