LSJ 73 Resto Mod - The Flying Burrito (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

STATUS REPORT

The Burrito is staying with Uncle Tor for a while. We/he/they are fine tuning some additional enhancements. Some of the highlights shown below.

One of the benefits of a close working relationship with a large / well-equipped build shop is collaborative creativity with flexibility.

First up, Tor scored a storage solution from ARB to reduce clutter in the MWB cargo area

ARB Roller Drawers.jpg

Next, Just Differentials provided 3.73 gears to drop cruising revs for the little Chebby

373.jpg

Also, Terrain Tamer sent along another Harrop A9378 for the front axle

We decided to get crazy, eat the price increase and continue our promotional pricing on these things for the next month: $1,315 each for 40, 60, early 70 and 80 Series) through authorized resellers/shops). We now include an OEM locker switch and a $50 gift certificate on PowerTank CO2 system with each order. Details here Harrop ELocker General Info / Installation Thread

TT Harrop.jpg

Next up - shake-down road trip

4x4 Labs is shipping the rear bumper for install at Torfab so I can visit some friends (Nanaimo and Usk) and fine tune a few things before we head to Moab in May

upload_2016-3-24_8-31-41.png

Fine with me, but the cool kids have a chain saw to go with their PowerTank....
But I need my fingers to program the Airbus flight management computer. : )

View attachment 1230204 Very sharp ..... I may have to show this photo to Rob. :)
Since I have new side panels with access for storage, we will not fit a finish panel at rear, but just install the drawers in the middle (detachable). That will keep the sides clear for panel storage and drop-in soft bags, while keeping the rear stereo speakers clear.

UPDATE

The 4x4 Labs beta bumper for 70 Series is on a truck headed to Torfab. It will go on as soon as it gets here. Wife and I are taking a side trip to visit friends in Boise on the way to Moab, so I am looking forward to wrapping things up.

A small detail resulting from the swap is heat from the catalytic converter on passenger (right) side. The cat in this install is very close to the clutch slave and we saw potential for issues, so Torfab fabricated a heat shield for the cat (photo below) and another for the clutch slave. The gap between cat housing and shield is filled with a high temp insulating fabric.

Fluid percolation and degraded clutch performance can result. This install is a little different than most Vortec swaps - it's a hotter motor and its a manual - plus it is putting in up to 8 hours of high speed road time at a stretch. That's a lot of heat.

Nice work, Tor.

cat.jpg

Functioning OE gauges..... I'm green with envy.
Welcome to the club.

Spent all the remaining budget on new gears, front elocker, drawers, etc., but the digital instruments are on the long-term "nice to have" list. As an interim alternative, I have an OBD-II port and a iPad with engine software in a RAM mount. Maybe that will satisfy my inner geek.

upload_2016-4-25_6-33-21.png

Got it home but don't have time for photos (domestic duties). More to follow, but in the meantime, enjoy the photo I took in the ferry line. If you don't like your job, it could be worse...... :)

upload_2016-4-25_17-29-52.png

3,600 MILES LATER - WE ARE DONE

Picked the truck up at Torfab and have been driving for a couple days. Absolutely, positively, totally done. Two years in the making, we have a "new" 1985 73 Series with everything new and fresh. What remains from delivery? Frame, body and axle housings....

The truck has made two round trips to California so far (Canada and Eastern Washington will come after Utah) and with very minor issues, it has been a dependable, comfortable, fast and safe vehicle. High speed sweepers and freeway off-ramps produced a tendency to feel a bit tippy so we had to settle in the suspension, add some weight and adjust the springs as below.

The 4.11 gears were definitely too low for my needs and the replacement 3.73s made the engine much happier/more responsive. This thing is an absolute blast to drive on-road and off-road. It lugs nicely - the benefit of large displacement (6.2 litres) plus computerized fuel/throttle management plus decent gears. Certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but this ain't a rock-crawler.

The front Harrop ELocker went in with the gears and, yes, it does climb a Jersey Barrier without fuss. :)

The rear driveshaft had new u-joints installed when the truck still had the 3B in place but they were not Japanese OEM. During the final clean-up work, we pulled the shaft and had the universals replaced with Japanese OEM units (which we now stock). Either because of the higher gears or the new u-joints, a t-case whine at certain speeds disappeared. The whine was not significant or very irritating, but this truck is so quiet and smooth, every transient noise or vibration is easy to spot.

SUSPENSION
The new rear bumper and drawer system dropped the rear a bit so we removed an additional leaf at the front, for a total of six leaves (four in front, two in back). It sits "just right" and handling on the road is amazing. The springs and shocks are totally dialled in - smooth, responsive and stable.

Before - No Motor / Unloaded / Small Tires

upload_2016-4-27_6-47-18.png

After

upload_2016-4-27_6-44-54.png

REAR BUMPER & DRAWER SYSTEM

Luke Porter and the 4x4 Labs crew produced an awesome bumper for us. As documented in my bumper thread here 4x4 Labs Rear Bumper System for My 70 Series - go visit for more photos if you are considering a rear bumper for your 7X (or any Land Crusier).

It is a beautiful bit of work and Luke is now shipping finished bumpers and kits for just about any 7X Series.

Also, Torfab got the drawers installed so that they can be used for travel adventures but are easily removed for dog-hauling and grocery-getting.

upload_2016-4-27_6-54-16.png

upload_2016-4-27_6-55-30.png

AND FINALLY

A little something showed up - a pleasant surprise from a friend and partner. Thanks Onur!

upload_2016-4-27_6-59-16.png

Last edited:
FINI

It is with a heavy but happy heart that I announce that the 73 has a new home. Tor Slinning (Torfab) made me an offer I couldn't refuse and the LSJ73 is now his daily driver....sniff, sniff....... :)

He's had it longer than you have anyway.......:)

Smart too. He got you to pay him to build his truck for you.....:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom