73 Series Soft top (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone buy a soft top with frame from TROA in Columbia? Any photo of his kit installed ? They advertise on Ebay and the soft top with frame kit is around $4100.

I heard about long wait times and I had that issue as well but it’s coming from around the world to me and custom built. Bummer quality has supposedly gone down and I was not aware of that. So I won’t comment on future orders but I’m More than happy with mine. Good luck to everyone wanting a soft top. The options are not cheap anymore.

Hello,

Colombia spec soft top 73 Series have a rail on the sides of the top that bolts to the body. This rail secures the tarpaulin to the body. An anti-theft feature, I presume.

Check your truck before buying.

OEM soft tops are still available. It is possible to get one from the vendors we all use, without language barrier or concern over shipping costs.

I would get an OEM soft top. And I would spend some more on a spare windshield frame and spare bows, frames and hardware.

Juan

Here is a pic of the rail from the Colombian FJ73 I had.

IMG_2533_zpss5b0kvrn.jpeg

I would get an OEM soft top. And I would spend some more on a spare windshield frame and spare bows, frames and hardware.
Yes, I would also go for that, if only I would have the funds. 🤣
Actually the big bummer for me owning a J73. I hoped for putting a softtop in summer. Only learned later that they are such a rare and expensive treat. Not even Santa Claus could help me on this.
Anyways. Have a great holiday!

Actually the big bummer for me owning a J73. I hoped for putting a softtop in summer. Only learned later that they are such a rare and expensive treat. Not even Santa Claus could help me on this.

It seems like many FRP top owners don't realize this but going back and forth from OEM soft top and FRP top will get old quick, at least it would for me!

It seems like many FRP top owners don't realize this but going back and forth from OEM soft top and FRP top will get old quick, at least it would for me!
100% agree.. mine is hung on the garage ceiling 😂 to probably never be installed again.

Here’s mine at 2 years since install, and it’s still my favorite cruiser mod ever.

IMG_1936.jpeg

I live at 5000’ elevation in colorado where allegedly it snows…this year not so much but I do swap between tops. It’s not bad but below zero weather makes me worry about the windows breaking and such. Probably not a big deal as it sits inside and not out in the weather.
I thought about not swapping this year, but ironically did it earlier…

My top was one of the cheaper ones a couple years ago and there are things that need improved and worked on…but overall it’s been great.

If the cheapest soft top option is now $4500, I’d Probabaly just stick with the Jeep bikini top and a trail cover for weather/rain.

Looks pretty good and $165 makes it a killer cheap setup.

1703200976034.jpeg

I will say the softtop was the best mod but that turbo upgrade is a close 2nd.

IMG_2752.JPG

Hello,

Budget is always an issue with most 70 Series (and Land Cruiser for that matter) projects.

Toyota wants all your money and your first born for most parts. One thing is certain: Land Cruiser ownership is not cheap. But it is certainly worth it.

On the other hand, and unlike many other cars, once you change or install a 70 Series part, you can expect a long period of reliable operation. These trucks are made to last, something that is not cheap.

As for me, the soft top is nice to have but not essential. Soft top or not, 73 Series are great project rigs and stuff haulers. They make good daily drivers as well.

Have a great holiday too.

Juan

Last edited:
Hello,

Windshield down, goggles or the right sunglasses and you are golden.

Just saying...

Juan

I didn't have an issue with noise driving the FJ73 with the OEM soft top. Open or closed. It was on there pretty snug too. Aftermarket and home brew soft tops probably are more prone to highway driving noises however.

I live at 5000’ elevation in colorado where allegedly it snows…this year not so much but I do swap between tops. It’s not bad but below zero weather makes me worry about the windows breaking and such. Probably not a big deal as it sits inside and not out in the weather.
I thought about not swapping this year, but ironically did it earlier…

My top was one of the cheaper ones a couple years ago and there are things that need improved and worked on…but overall it’s been great.

If the cheapest soft top option is now $4500, I’d Probabaly just stick with the Jeep bikini top and a trail cover for weather/rain.

Looks pretty good and $165 makes it a killer cheap setup.

I will say the softtop was the best mod but that turbo upgrade is a close 2nd.

I agree 100% I am loving that bikini top. You have a perfect set up for swapping back and forth.

?…do you have a link for the bikini top?

…at $165 them’s g-string prices…

I was wrong, I paid $88 total :)

I used a bimini top for a Jeep YJ.
Smittybilt Extended Top For 92-95 Jeep Wrangler YJ and used this for the header:
Smittybilt 90101 Windshield Channel for 76-95 CJ-7, CJ-8 Scrambler & Wrangler

This should link to my install.

Builds - 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1988-bj74-number-1.1087702/post-13167191

Really any CJ or YJ bikini top/Channel should work.

QuadraTop Bimini Top Plus for 92-95 Jeep Wrangler YJ - https://www.quadratec.com/products/QuadraTop-bimini-top-plus-92-95-wrangler-yj?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAhJWsBhAaEiwAmrNyq8o5RkeUSc7b02Qz3Uvcp3qY7_Jus6aiHf9naN2lJOvMq-PQFHSrYhoC91AQAvD_BwE

You could Probabaly modify this channel to use the same holes as your FRP top on the windshield.
Bestop 51209-01 Windshield Retaining Channel for 76-95 Jeep CJ-5, CJ-7, CJ-8 Scrambler & Wrangler YJ - https://www.quadratec.com/products/bestop/windshield-retaining-channel-76-95-cj-yj-51209-01?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAhJWsBhAaEiwAmrNyq7HU0WLy83ido808RF4476mrNlp7-DL3nLUAouKoM2rqJa77Iv6h8hoCvYEQAvD_BwE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom