73 Series Soft top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone buy a soft top with frame from TROA in Columbia? Any photo of his kit installed ? They advertise on Ebay and the soft top with frame kit is around $4100.

I have been detailing my install of the softop on my thread. Got my top from Pakistan. Terrible communication, but it finally showed up.... and the quality of the vinyl top is really nice. The metal work, both in fit and construction and powder-coating has left a lot to be desired. Had to cut and weld and fix a bunch of things. Still working through it, but plan to have it all blasted and powder-coated correctly.

You get what you pay for... and I was warned that I would likely have to do fixes.. pretty sure it as just under $3k when I bought it which was about 2 years ago.

Last edited:
I was close to buying one of those. But between here and FB, reviews have been pretty bad.

View attachment 3510727
Do not get it from TopSoft based in Dubai. Yes the product is good, but it will be over a year before you see your product if you see it at all. I never got the frames and i was asked to pay $2000 for the remaining frames after i paid the original $2999 in September 2022 for product and shipping (due to rise in costs to them) and $600 extra for shipping 6 months later in March 2023. The product was incomplete when it was delivered in September 2023. The communication is terrible. Now to be fair I did not buy via eBay. I dealt directly with TopSoft. They use a third party shipper from London UK Kangaroo Express ohh by the way you have to create your own bill of laden for Kangaroo to release it to UPS for customs. After I spent hours on the call with UPD it got sent to Louisville KY and on to Little Rock, I live in NJ.UPS told me Kangaroo had put KY and AR zip codes. The product is not insured and I found out the shipping is $150. Ohh and TopSoft will not communicate with you, i have proofs for all emails. Payments to them are done via wire transfer to Evolve Bank and Trust in NY. I can share my experience with anyone. Below is my last exchange with TopSoft and yes I was willing to pay shipping again since I did confirm 2 packages were delivered, but not $2000 when the whole product was 2999. Also TopSoft will never tell you what is included on the package so I had to guess what was in the package for the bill-of laden. The top itself is of great quality made in Lahore Pakistan (find the family that builds the top and you have a great product). If you want to avoid the experience I have gone through either do it through eBay or another company. Since i have the rear bar and the top, i am working with a machinist in Florida to develop the bars, $1500. Feel free to reach out if needed. I hate to write a negative post when people are trying to make a kiving and the product is great, but its not just get someone money and not follow though with it because you are in a different country. This is how I will let people know about TopSoft and its scheme to never follow up on their customers who order directly from them. I dare anyone at TopSoft to prove this writing wrong.

IMG_0092.jpeg

I have been detailing my install of the softop on my thread. Got my top from Pakistan. Terrible communication, but it finally showed up.... and the quality of the vinyl top is really nice. The metal work, both in fit and construction and powder-coating has left a lot to be desired. Had to cut and weld and fix a bunch of things. Still working through it, but plan to have it all blasted and powder-coated correctly.

You get what you pay for... and I was warned that I would likely have to do fixes.. pretty sure it as just under $3k when I bought it which was about 2 years ago.

Did you order from TopSoft? I asked because I never got my frames. My order was in September of 2022. I got the top and rear bar, the top is amazing quality.

Your top was the promotional top and you got it for ~$2k. They put their best foot forward.

Since then, folks are complaining about the sub par metalwork, missing parts without prompt replacement, poor communication and extremely long waiting times beyond when promised.
That is my case with TopSoft, did you use them directly or via eBay? I got my top and the rear frame a year later, but no frames. I was asked to pay $2000 more after paying $2999 and $600 for shipping. Good luck with getting any emails or communication unless if you are wiring into their Evolve and Trust Bank account in NY. Ohh year they use a third party Shipper and I had to create my own bill of laden to get the packages on the UPS. After it toured the midwest and south the packages made it to NJ incomplete a little over a year.

That is my case with TopSoft, did you use them directly or via eBay? I got my top and the rear frame a year later, but no frames. I was asked to pay $2000 more after paying $2999 and $600 for shipping. Good luck with getting any emails or communication unless if you are wiring into their Evolve and Trust Bank account in NY. Ohh year they use a third party Shipper and I had to create my own bill of laden to get the packages on the UPS. After it toured the midwest and south the packages made it to NJ incomplete a little over a year.

When you say frames, Are you talking about the pieces above the door?

I think I may have been the last person to get those.

The top soft kit was a mixture of new, used and modified parts. I don’t think that was very clearly stated. I believe they don’t offer above the doors anymore as they can’t find them used. I let them know that you can still get all the parts new, I have no idea if they are doing that or plan too.

Mine didn’t come with any bolts/hardware but that was explained after the order. Not a big deal but a bit of extra hassle.

The parts on mine needed to be modified and reworked. The above the windshield frame is too flimsy and will allow the front to come out unless you make it stronger or put some more screws/bolts on it.

The main rear hoop and above doors were slightly damaged but plenty useable. The rear hoop takes some mods and the side bars are a bit too long. I plan to work on the top here pretty soon as it’s time to put it on.

I will say, sounds like I and a few others had a decent experience, but that’s not the case anymore. That’s unfortunate as putting the soft top on is one of the most exciting parts of owning a MWB cruiser.

@FJBen you said....

The parts on mine needed to be modified and reworked. The above the windshield frame is too flimsy and will allow the front to come out unless you make it stronger or put some more screws/bolts on it.

I don't recall seeing this comment before...and mine is terribly flimsy.. What was your solution?

@FJBen you said....

I don't recall seeing this comment before...and mine is terribly flimsy.. What was your solution?

Basically what I did was put some screws towards the front of the windshield frame ( I know…I have a fiberglass windshield frame)

This keeps the front down and pressure on the front folded lip. This was a test and it works great now.
The plan is to put nutserts up there in place of the extra screws.

When you say frames, Are you talking about the pieces above the door?

I think I may have been the last person to get those.

The top soft kit was a mixture of new, used and modified parts. I don’t think that was very clearly stated. I believe they don’t offer above the doors anymore as they can’t find them used. I let them know that you can still get all the parts new, I have no idea if they are doing that or plan too.

Mine didn’t come with any bolts/hardware but that was explained after the order. Not a big deal but a bit of extra hassle.

The main rear hoop and above doors were slightly damaged but plenty useable. The rear hoop takes some mods and the side bars are a bit too long. I plan to work on the top here pretty soon as it’s time to put it on.

I will say, sounds like I and a few others had a decent experience, but that’s not the case anymore. That’s unfortunate as putting the soft top on is one of the most exciting parts of owning a MWB cruiser.
I have been looking forward to the experience, so when I ordered the top in September 2022 they guaranteed the entire kit and top. The email below was their first communication, it’s deceiving a customer base. I also have learned that the kits are made in Lahore Pakistan and sourced to Dubai now. My understanding is that the top is made at a cheaper rate by the Pakistanis, but its the frames that cost money. Based on what i am ready I am lucky that i got the rear bracket. Either way I am working with a Machinist who wants to build it because he sees a value. Thank you for sharing your experience, i m glad you and some other fellow cruisers didnt get ripped off. Cheers, David

IMG_0094.jpeg

Maybe not obvious to everyone but I'm sure somebody will google this and end up here. Your first clue at a 2nd or 3rd rate business should be multiple free email addresses for the correspondence. You're going to send a four, five, six thousand dollars to a person that can't even spend a few bucks on a domain name?

Sadd Sarfraz /Topsoft
topsoftpk@gmail.com
vintagetokyodrift@gmail.com
IH8Mud User name: JDMStanNTopSoft
eBay: JDMStan - <Rare Spare Parts!>
Facebook: TopSoft

There's more, add on if you will.

Just looked at his Ebay ad:

"Since the process is hand-made mostly, it can take up to a month or two maximum. Due to the ongoing pandemic, we're practicing social distancing, and the process has slowed down a bit. Any orders we receive now, will be delivered in 2 months at least. We use Fedex/DHL, and shipping is guaranteed to your doorstep in a week!) Shipping is included in the price! We can offer discounts on slower shipping methods."

There you have it. It can take a month or two maximum, or 2 months at least.... or a year or more.... don't forget to add $2,000USD in shipping.

Last edited:
Maybe not obvious to everyone but I'm sure somebody will google this and end up here. Your first clue at a 2nd or 3rd rate business should be multiple free email addresses for the correspondence. You're going to send a four, five, six thousand dollars to a person that can't even spend a few bucks on a domain name?

Sadd Sarfraz /Topsoft
topsoftpk@gmail.com
vintagetokyodrift@gmail.com
IH8Mud User name: JDMStanNTopSoft
eBay: JDMStan - <Rare Spare Parts!>
Facebook: TopSoft

There's more, add on if you will.

Just looked at his Ebay ad:

"Since the process is hand-made mostly, it can take up to a month or two maximum. Due to the ongoing pandemic, we're practicing social distancing, and the process has slowed down a bit. Any orders we receive now, will be delivered in 2 months at least. We use Fedex/DHL, and shipping is guaranteed to your doorstep in a week!) Shipping is included in the price! We can offer discounts on slower shipping methods."

There you have it. It can take a month or two maximum, or 2 months at least.... or a year or more.... don't forget to add $2,000USD in shipping.
I definitely understand your points and agree with you. I did research on it and found the details that you did. The thought process did go through my mind at first, but once I was given the Account name and the bank details, I did perform an OFAC/KYC check and the company and individual came up without flags. Also since there is a US bank account (Evolve Bank & Trust in NY) involved and a wire transfer is being performed the receiving party is made aware that they can be liable for prosecution. The account name does bare the same name on the google search. I am sure some people in other country wont care about US wire transfer laws, but a US bank account would not be open long if there was fraud involved. The main issue is the lack of service communication and incomplete delivery of the product. You are correct that they can charge the price that they want for shipping the remaining parts and in this case its $2000. I do find it odd that they would send the full top and the rear bar that they had to source from Japan, but not the other small components that cost far less. This may be a case where the interest in the product is waning due to price ($6k now vs. $3k before) and the TopSoft decide to slowproduction. I feel that if my experience stops 1 or more from buying then my posts will have been a success. You are correct, the delivery took 12 months and it required my intervention with the third party shipper and UPS all of last August.

I have been looking forward to the experience, so when I ordered the top in September 2022 they guaranteed the entire kit and top. The email below was their first communication, it’s deceiving a customer base. I also have learned that the kits are made in Lahore Pakistan and sourced to Dubai now. My understanding is that the top is made at a cheaper rate by the Pakistanis, but its the frames that cost money. Based on what i am ready I am lucky that i got the rear bracket. Either way I am working with a Machinist who wants to build it because he sees a value. Thank you for sharing your experience, i m glad you and some other fellow cruisers didnt get ripped off. Cheers, David

View attachment 3603287
Man that’s a generic email about what it includes. Entire kit 12-15 hardware? I have no idea what that means.

I definitely understand your points and agree with you. I did research on it and found the details that you did. The thought process did go through my mind at first, but once I was given the Account name and the bank details, I did perform an OFAC/KYC check and the company and individual came up without flags. Also since there is a US bank account (Evolve Bank & Trust in NY) involved and a wire transfer is being performed the receiving party is made aware that they can be liable for prosecution. The account name does bare the same name on the google search. I am sure some people in other country wont care about US wire transfer laws, but a US bank account would not be open long if there was fraud involved. The main issue is the lack of service communication and incomplete delivery of the product. You are correct that they can charge the price that they want for shipping the remaining parts and in this case its $2000. I do find it odd that they would send the full top and the rear bar that they had to source from Japan, but not the other small components that cost far less. This may be a case where the interest in the product is waning due to price ($6k now vs. $3k before) and the TopSoft decide to slowproduction. I feel that if my experience stops 1 or more from buying then my posts will have been a success. You are correct, the delivery took 12 months and it required my intervention with the third party shipper and UPS all of last August.

Do you have a picture of what you received? My understanding…and I could be wrong…is that these frame parts:
Rear hoop
Above front doors
Side bars from rear hoop to roll bar

All were sourced used and modified. I didn’t understand that at first so I was a little confused when they showed up. The side bars had to be modified because on a soft top OEM they bolt on a different area. Hence they extended them to bolt on which is good and bad. I would have rather used a nutsert and left those alone.

The front piece on windshield is too flimsy and for sure is a made by them piece. It’s not awful, but using thicker metal would have solved a lot of issues.

Rear hoop setup is the wrong height. It should be spaced up, not sitting flat against the body. Oem is off the body but I don’t exactly kmow 100% how it mounts there. Spacing up has been the fix for me.

The side angle iron with Velcro work ok. Nutserts in different spots would be the best way to attach if you plan and putting hard tip back on.

I haven’t ever used the side vertical bars as attaching them is not a great setup on the lower body side. Also last year I rarely had the side windows on.

It’s really unfortunate the price doubled and
Then the service/communication went to h@ll. I honestly can’t fathom getting an additional $2k shipping cost!!!

There are plenty of companies in North America that make 100% custom tops for boats. Has anyone investigated that route? Seems like a way better alternative to suppliers that may not deliver and/or deliver parts that need to be modified.

Man that’s a generic email about what it includes. Entire kit 12-15 hardware? I have no idea what that means.

Do you have a picture of what you received? My understanding…and I could be wrong…is that these frame parts:
Rear hoop
Above front doors
Side bars from rear hoop to roll bar

All were sourced used and modified. I didn’t understand that at first so I was a little confused when they showed up. The side bars had to be modified because on a soft top OEM they bolt on a different area. Hence they extended them to bolt on which is good and bad. I would have rather used a nutsert and left those alone.

The front piece on windshield is too flimsy and for sure is a made by them piece. It’s not awful, but using thicker metal would have solved a lot of issues.

Rear hoop setup is the wrong height. It should be spaced up, not sitting flat against the body. Oem is off the body but I don’t exactly kmow 100% how it mounts there. Spacing up has been the fix for me.

The side angle iron with Velcro work ok. Nutserts in different spots would be the best way to attach if you plan and putting hard tip back on.

I haven’t ever used the side vertical bars as attaching them is not a great setup on the lower body side. Also last year I rarely had the side windows on.

It’s really unfortunate the price doubled and
Then the service/communication went to h@ll. I honestly can’t fathom getting an additional $2k shipping cost!!!
Thank you for the details that you provided. I received the top, side and rear windows cover as well as the rear bar. Unfortunately, I never got to mount it since the interior bars, side bars, door bars and front bar were missing. The pictures of what I received are below. Also look at the UPS tracking for both packages and my communication with TopSoft on the bill of laden. I did have a machinist in Florida look at my LC and he is in the process of building the side bars, interior crossover bar, doors and front bars. He echo your statement that these bars have to be strong metal to prevent damage. It also needs to be smooth to limit damage to the top. I am going to ask him if he interested in building a top and additional bars. I think LC FRP top owners would pay $3500-$5k for a product made here in the US in a decent timeframe.

IMG_0096.png

IMG_0097.png

IMG_0098.jpeg

IMG_0099.jpeg

IMG_0100.jpeg

There are plenty of companies in North America that make 100% custom tops for boats. Has anyone investigated that route? Seems like a way better alternative to suppliers that may not deliver and/or deliver parts that need to be modified.
The right upholstery shop can build a similar top here in the US, the issue is the cost of labor, and of course the better the material quality the higher the price. Finding out if there is a way to have a contact in Pakistan who can build the top is the way to go. If anyone here is familiar with Pakistan leather work, that person can attest to the craftsmanship and attention to detail and of course the lower costs. I will try to find out what the top would cost if the upholstery shop were to build it.

Thank you for the details that you provided. I received the top, side and rear windows cover as well as the rear bar. Unfortunately, I never got to mount it since the interior bars, side bars, door bars and front bar were missing. The pictures of what I received are below. Also look at the UPS tracking for both packages and my communication with TopSoft on the bill of laden. I did have a machinist in Florida look at my LC and he is in the process of building the side bars, interior crossover bar, doors and front bars. He echo your statement that these bars have to be strong metal to prevent damage. It also needs to be smooth to limit damage to the top. I am going to ask him if he interested in building a top and additional bars. I think LC FRP top owners would pay $3500-$5k for a product made here in the US in a decent timeframe.

View attachment 3603732

View attachment 3603733

View attachment 3603734

View attachment 3603735

View attachment 3603736

As you can see, that rear hoop is used. I’d be surprised if you get the pieces that go above the doors. I think I was the last person to get them as they can’t find them used.

The other bars are fairly easy to replicate as they are basically tubes with one cross piece over the back.

The front piece is tricky, however I think you could still fabricate something using the old bikini top mounts that hold those rolled vinyl top edges in.

The thing is, ALL the oem parts are still available…albeit $$$. @bottombracket has a killer thread 1989 HDJ74 FRP to FST conversion - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1989-hdj74-frp-to-fst-conversion.1274273/ that shows all the parts and how they work with part numbers.

Still my favorite cruiser mod ever.

8164B0EE-9022-4661-BBBA-8C25300A2B66.jpeg

As you can see, that rear hoop is used. I’d be surprised if you get the pieces that go above the doors. I think I was the last person to get them as they can’t find them used.

The other bars are fairly easy to replicate as they are basically tubes with one cross piece over the back.

The front piece is tricky, however I think you could still fabricate something using the old bikini top mounts that hold those rolled vinyl top edges in.

The thing is, ALL the oem parts are still available…albeit $$$. @bottombracket has a killer thread 1989 HDJ74 FRP to FST conversion - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1989-hdj74-frp-to-fst-conversion.1274273/ that shows all the parts and how they work with part numbers.
I did notice that the bar had a peeling part which lead me to believe it was not new. I will have it coated again. The machinist did say that the doors would be far more difficult since it will need several bending giving that he dont know the design. Based on your feedback the front piece will also be another headache. He did however say that it needs to needs a strong steal. Did you have a half door or full doors? I will have to remove my full barn doors and put my half doors in. I wonder if anyone ever removed their full doors and if it’s difficult. Cheers

…I’m watching @Cutco760 cos if you can find a machinist to do a good job and we can find a shop to make frames - I wanna soft top!
I will definitely keep you and everyone updated as soon as I know more from the shop. The shop owner was definitely intrigued when i told him there is a market at the right price. He needs a frame model for the build. The top he can copy mine for the fitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom