FJ25 and Early FJ40 Soft Top Project. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser_Nerd

That 25 Guy.
Threads
After much buying of parts trucks, begging, and lending of first born children, Mike Fox (Foxfab) and I have assembled enough of an original B-type top, bows and doors so that we can attempt a reproduction. At this point we'd just like to see who's interested so that we have a quantity in mind when we talk to canvas shops.

Target Price (canvas only): $750 - $1000 (hopefully less, would rather revise downward)
Construction: Match the original pattern and construction as much as possible.
Material: Modern marine canvas and synthetics, probably not oiled canvas and cotton (sorry oil-sniffers).
Color: Maybe try to agree on a single color to bring cost down.
Bows and Doors: Maybe in the future.
B-Type: This is the type with the vertical bow in the rear. A-type tops had a diagonal bow in the rear, if you have this setup let us know as we have those bows also. Until we test fit a top all we know is that the original part number for the A and B canvas was different.

At this point just post up (or mail Mike direct at foxfab@comcast.net) if you're interested (how many), what color you'd like, and if you need bows/doors.

If you live in a hole, this is what we're talking about here:
25Top.JPG
40Top.JPG

I have A's and Jim has B's. I think the only difference will be where the loops for the middle of the top are, but we'll see once we test fit the original top to both of our 25's.

Jim,

I might be interested in a top for my 62 FJ40. I only have the doors with it, so I'd also need the top hardware. I was hoping Ehsan would step up and recreate the hardware, but I guess he doesn't have a good pattern.

Lance

Lance,

The bows look doable, but not easy. Mike is the bender and pointed out stuff that I just couldn't see. Fortunately, the door surrounds are not like the later 40.......but there's about five sides with a hem roll thrown in so it's not something that we can do. I would want to do the bows as a knock down set to be welded together after shipping.... I need a set also. ;)

Doors are another situation. Square tubing and bending u-channel will make that very tough.

Cruiser_Nerd said:
Doors are another situation. Square tubing and bending u-channel will make that very tough.

Jim, you might change how you view the doors. What about having the whole door frame laser/waterjet cut from 1/2" thick plate? I'm thinking more along the lines of a functional replacement that looks stock when covered in canvas. I haven't looked at the challenge of bending the u-channel yet but I'm sure there is a work-around for that too that will not affect the visual integrity of the finished piece.

Obviously I'm not of the 100 point restoration crowd looking for the proper chalk marks and wax pencil notes from the port so I understand if my ideas might offend others. :D

Nick

Nick, no offense here....................you're right, a workable door can be approached differently, making a reproduction would be the bugger. Actually for the second rig I was thinking a Bestop style......round stock with the canvas sewn on and a zip out window

No offense I still like the Paki tops.....changes were made to make them better. Hopefully you can show us the finish product before you make a run.

Mike,

With square tube that size I think you can bend it around a hardwood "die" by hand. Maybe slip a larger piece of tube or pipe over the square tube for a handle for more leverage and control over where the bend is.

Jim,

Do you have an autocad file for the bows or doors? I might be able to suggest a few ways to work around some of the issues you and Mike see. I used to work for a company that makes the pre-bent fuel and emissions pipes/tubes you see on the new cars. I learned a thing or two about making this kinda stuff along the way that you might find useful.

Nick

fjwagon said:
No offense I still like the Paki tops.....changes were made to make them better. Hopefully you can show us the finish product before you make a run.

AFAIK Ehsan is not, and won't be, making this version of the soft top. Let us know if that is not the case.

What does "AFAIK" mean sorry for my ignorance.:). I like the side windows to be bigger jsut my opinion. Oem is great but I like it to be functional and easy to use.
Cruiser_Nerd said:
AFAIK Ehsan is not, and won't be, making this version of the soft top. Let us know if that is not the case.

foxfab said:
I can bend square, but the bends are all different radii :( so it'd need to be farmed out to a shop with a better bender.

The large radius curves at the bottom of the doors are pretty easy to do by making a series of equally spaced saw kerf cuts part way through the tube on the inside of the radius. You just bend the tube by hand to the correct angle and weld up the kerfs. It is plenty strong and the appearance is acceptable because it is covered by canvas. You can calculate the number and spacing of the cuts from the width of the kerf and the radius of the bend. It doesn't take many cuts to make these large radius bends.

The rataining channel for the canvas is also pretty easy to make from 5/8 inch, 16 ga tube. Just cut a slot along one edge of the tube with a cut off wheel and then you can spot weld it to the bows.

Pin Head - thanks, I'll give it a try. I was going to modify a set of later OEM soft doors for my 25 which looks as hard as making them from scratch. Guess I'll get some stock and give your method a try first. ;)

fjwagon - As Far As I Know Ehsan is only making a top to fit the '64 and later FJ40. The top we are talking about will only fit pre-'64 FJ40's and FJ25's which are original soft top trucks.

You sir, are the man. It wont look factory, but damn easier to make. I was looking at the channel and it has like 6 bends in it. Your solution will work as well as that. :beer: :beer: :beer:

FJwagon, we're shooting for as close to OEM as possible for the stockers out there.

Pin_Head said:
The rataining channel for the canvas is also pretty easy to make from 5/8 inch, 16 ga tube. Just cut a slot along one edge of the tube with a cut off wheel and then you can spot weld it to the bows.

now looking at the pics, the 25 bows only have a channel welded directly to the bow without any of the "filler" bodywork like on a 40. But just welding that channel will work. I guess it all depends on how anal I want to be with getting it as close tooriginal as possible.

DSC00476_sm.jpe

I could miter the ends to replicate the factory shape. But the real kicker will be the bows across the top of the doors. If I have to have those made, then I might as well just use those for the main bow also. Theyre the same channel, just different cuts on them.

Fox-I have an example of a "repro" some PO made of door framing for the bows, it was really simple the way he did it and looks just about stock...he made the c chanel like you and tacked it to a length of sheet steel bent lenghtwise ito a "V"...I can't get you a picture for some time, but if you look at a cross section of the stock item and imagine that complex bend broken down into a couple easy ones....

All right now. At this point we've got six interested in a top. This is the number we'll use when talking to shops. Let me know if I've missed anyone.

1 - Mike F.
2 - Jim C.
1 - John P.
1 - Phil D.
1- Lance V.

Please note: THIS ITEM IS TO DAMN EXPENSIVE FOR US TO SPECULATE WITH OUR MONEY ......so if you're interested, speak up. What will likely happen is the shop we choose will retain the pattern and the ability to sell (to the very limited interest, at their price) in the future. At this point the advantage to us is:
1. That a top will actually get made.
2. We can negotiate a price and should be able to get a break if we can gaurantee an initial order.

We'll keep you posted as we learn more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom