Anyone using Overland Navigator software? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I'm considering it as an alternative/addition to a straight-up GPS. I have an old Garmin V (with USA Topo & Mapsouce)and a not quite so old Lowrance 500c (has some topo installed). Both have data connections. I have used the Garmin with a samll PC laptop running Garmin Topo software under Mapsource... it's pretty good for basic bread-crumb tracks use.

What are our opinions of ON vs Mapsource with Topo?

Advantages/disadvantages?

Just as another option (oziexplorer) - not sure how it compares to ON. Anyhow, I'll give you my take on using a laptop or PDA with a navigation program that allows you to use your own data - versus commercial handheld GPS units that require vendor specific maps.

I've used Oziexplorer for a long time (> 10 years). I've also been running OziexplorerCE (on a PDA) for a good 5 years or so.

Ozi on a laptop works great, in oz it is basically the only way to go (Ozi) because of the lack of decent topo maps on handheld GPS units. With topo maps of the entire Oz on the laptop and Ozi running I had full topo capability with all the tracklogs, routes, waypoints etc etc that one could wish for. The only issue is the large laptop an being offroad with dust & bumps etc etc. The laptops never complained, but they are just large and cumbersome regardless of how they are mounted.

Then I started using OziCE on the PDA, all the same capabilities (in a shrunk down format) and compatible with Ozi on the laptop. So, with the PDA mounted on a nice flexarm in good position for the driver to view I now had it all. Full topo capability (and also in the US with the free topo downloads) and the ability to transfer data easily to/from the laptop version as needed. I run a bluetooth GPS mouse and that means just one small USB cable to 'power' the mouse long term (internal battery runs about 6 - 8 hours) and one small power cable for the PDA. No huge mess of wires, no large lumbering laptop and full navigation capability.

There is also a program on the internet that allow you to 'harvest' google earth satellite/aerial imagery data at whatever resolution you need and then convert that into Ozi friendly files. This allows topo and google earth stuff to be available while navigating - very handy to "see" what the lay of the land is versus a straight topo.

Anyhow, if ON has similar capabilities then the combo of your own topo's, google earth satellite/aerial imagery and a laptop/PDA are hard to beat. I've used the PDA and bluetooth GPS standalone (their own batteries) to go on hikes and bike rides - for longer ones I have made some plug/cable converters to use my 14.4V li-ion bike light battery pack to power the PDA and Bluetooth GPS. This would give me days of continuous runtime.

I also run tomtom on my PDA - so I can use the same setup (BT GPS mouse etc) to have full street level routing - I have US and Oz maps loaded in addition to OziCE and the topo maps and some google earth data. 2 gig SD cards for my PDA are so cheap these days.

cheers,
george.

Another option I've been groovin' on lately:

Topo USA (Delorme) running on a laptop plus a puck type gps device (I use a USGlobalsat BU-353) works great. Lots of routing capability, can store all sorts of way points and tracks. Total investment:

TopoUSA Western States $50
Bu-353 $35

Also comes with $200 "worth" of additional downloadable maps and imagery. Also not advertized but present, is that Topo contains all the street atlas data, so you don't need additional street navigation software.

Ozi looks great to me too, and when George sets up a class on use, I'm signing up for it.

I just made a quick demo video of Overland Navigator. Hopefully you guys find it helpful. Please let us know if you have any questions or want to suggest features.

I've also uploaded a few photos to my album of some of our customer installs. They illustrate some of the various hardware options available. The new 7-10" UMPC tablets and Netbook computers running WindowsXP are ideal ($350-$1800). They are big enough to really show the maps, but small enough to not interfere with passenger comfort.

I personally use a sunlight visible semi-ruggedized UMPC on a RAM mount in my truck and love it (attached pictures).

IMG_3365.jpg
IMG_3387.jpg

Last edited:
Well I'm considering it as an alternative/addition to a straight-up GPS. . .

What are our opinions of ON vs Mapsource with Topo?

Advantages/disadvantages?

Let me start by presenting what I see as the main advantage of Overland Navigator: Simplicity.

It is important to understand this, because this is what makes the program unique when compared to many other mapping software programs. An analogy, although maybe not the best one, would be to consider knives. On one hand, you have the multi-tool with every kind of implement imaginable for every conceivable task you may encounter. On the opposite end of the spectrum, you have something like the Bushcraft knife. With a single blade, they are renowned the world over for their timeless simplicity and strength, able to perform a multitude of tasks in the hand of a skilled owner. Both have advantages and disadvantages over the other, so it's simply a matter of choosing what suits you best. In the case of the knives, the multi-tool can be heavy and cumbersome. Unless you memorize exactly where each tool is and how to open and close it with speed and accuracy, you'll likely waste time fumbling with it looking for what you want, and then fiddling with the stiff hinge mechanism to open and close it unless it's used frequently and is well broken-in. If under pressure for one reason or another, this exercise in patience can be trying.

Overland Navigator is very much "plug and play". There is no steep learning curve and no deep collection of toolbars, menus, and input prompts to deal with. You just plug your GPS in (or connect via BT), turn on the program, and go. The maps are all there, seamlessly. And they are smooth and fast. Unless you are actively using the few toolbar buttons, they disappear from the screen, maximizing the map display. There isn't much file info to keep track of. You either turn tracking on or off, and it automatically saves a running track file from each day using the date as the file designator. There's really no input from you necessary. (Like "Save as: choose a filename, choose where to save, Do you wish to overwrite?" etc etc). So when you get home from your trip, you can transfer the files or archive them and they're all there; one for each day of the trip.

So, comparing Overland Navigator to Mapsource Topo:

The ON uses seamless USGS topo maps of varying scales depending on the zoom level. These are image files (raster graphics) so they are just like a jpeg in a way; they don't contain any embedded information like POI's and names of land features that appear when you hover over with a mouse or pointer. It's like having a digital copy of a full library of USGS paper maps in your vehicle with you. There is also color satellite imagery, but it is high-level and used more for location reference (it doesn't have names, boundaries, etc on it). Don't confuse this with DOQQ aerial imagery (like when you zoom in Google and see someone's car parked in the driveway). I have put in a feature request for DOQQ imagery, but it is a very involved process to implement this in the seamless map format (and memory intensive) so may take some time. My guess is that ON will have that eventually. It is something that is definitely not available with Mapsource Topo. Mapsource is one of the aforementioned programs with a host of command menus and buttons so it has more data manipulation capabilities, but requires more interaction (that comes with a significant learning curve for a new user).

Mapsource Topo uses vector graphics that while they mimic the USGS topos, they are basically Garmin's own digital copy version built entirely of vector data. Unlike an image file, vector files contain information associated with the display. This is what allows Mapsource to present POI data and other custom functions that allow the user to interact with the map (routing, POI information, names of land features when hovered over, etc).

In summary, the Overland Navigator was designed by a guy who is just like you and me, he has a 4WD and uses it to explore and live out of. So it is coming from someone who saw a need for a product that "just works" and lets you focus more on driving the vehicle and enjoying the experiences of the adventure than continually messing with menu inputs and having to type things on a keyboard. It has specifically been designed as very UMPC/tablet friendly.

Here are photos of ON setup and running in my truck, in both laptop configuration and tablet configuration (it's a convertible notebook):

chris_marzonie_06_sm.jpg

chris_marzonie_02_sm.jpg

Disclaimer: I'm not being paid by Spatial Minds for this, I'm just a beta tester. I did receive the product free of charge in return for my time testing and providing feedback during beta phase testing. I just think it's a cool product that nicely fills a niche specifically for the overlander and explorer that wants to spend less time with complex GPS software but enjoy the benefits of a beautiful on-screen map showing your position, tracks, and waypoints.

Let me start by presenting what I see as the main advantage of Overland Navigator: Simplicity.

It is important to understand this, because this is what makes the program unique when compared to many other mapping software programs. An analogy, although maybe not the best one, would be to consider knives. On one hand, you have the multi-tool with every kind of implement imaginable for every conceivable task you may encounter. On the opposite end of the spectrum, you have something like the Bushcraft knife. With a single blade, they are renowned the world over for their timeless simplicity and strength, able to perform a multitude of tasks in the hand of a skilled owner. Both have advantages and disadvantages over the other, so it's simply a matter of choosing what suits you best. In the case of the knives, the multi-tool can be heavy and cumbersome. Unless you memorize exactly where each tool is and how to open and close it with speed and accuracy, you'll likely waste time fumbling with it looking for what you want, and then fiddling with the stiff hinge mechanism to open and close it unless it's used frequently and is well broken-in. If under pressure for one reason or another, this exercise in patience can be trying.

Overland Navigator is very much "plug and play". There is no steep learning curve and no deep collection of toolbars, menus, and input prompts to deal with. You just plug your GPS in (or connect via BT), turn on the program, and go. The maps are all there, seamlessly. And they are smooth and fast. Unless you are actively using the few toolbar buttons, they disappear from the screen, maximizing the map display. There isn't much file info to keep track of. You either turn tracking on or off, and it automatically saves a running track file from each day using the date as the file designator. There's really no input from you necessary. (Like "Save as: choose a filename, choose where to save, Do you wish to overwrite?" etc etc). So when you get home from your trip, you can transfer the files or archive them and they're all there; one for each day of the trip.

So, comparing Overland Navigator to Mapsource Topo:

The ON uses seamless USGS topo maps of varying scales depending on the zoom level. These are image files (raster graphics) so they are just like a jpeg in a way; they don't contain any embedded information like POI's and names of land features that appear when you hover over with a mouse or pointer. It's like having a digital copy of a full library of USGS paper maps in your vehicle with you. There is also color satellite imagery, but it is high-level and used more for location reference (it doesn't have names, boundaries, etc on it). Don't confuse this with DOQQ aerial imagery (like when you zoom in Google and see someone's car parked in the driveway). I have put in a feature request for DOQQ imagery, but it is a very involved process to implement this in the seamless map format (and memory intensive) so may take some time. My guess is that ON will have that eventually. It is something that is definitely not available with Mapsource Topo. Mapsource is one of the aforementioned programs with a host of command menus and buttons so it has more data manipulation capabilities, but requires more interaction (that comes with a significant learning curve for a new user).

Mapsource Topo uses vector graphics that while they mimic the USGS topos, they are basically Garmin's own digital copy version built entirely of vector data. Unlike an image file, vector files contain information associated with the display. This is what allows Mapsource to present POI data and other custom functions that allow the user to interact with the map (routing, POI information, names of land features when hovered over, etc).

In summary, the Overland Navigator was designed by a guy who is just like you and me, he has a 4WD and uses it to explore and live out of. So it is coming from someone who saw a need for a product that "just works" and lets you focus more on driving the vehicle and enjoying the experiences of the adventure than continually messing with menu inputs and having to type things on a keyboard. It has specifically been designed as very UMPC/tablet friendly.

Here are photos of ON setup and running in my truck, in both laptop configuration and tablet configuration (it's a convertible notebook):

chris_marzonie_06_sm.jpg

what is the black antenna on the left side of the computer?

chris_marzonie_02_sm.jpg

Disclaimer: I'm not being paid by Spatial Minds for this, I'm just a beta tester. I did receive the product free of charge in return for my time testing and providing feedback during beta phase testing. I just think it's a cool product that nicely fills a niche specifically for the overlander and explorer that wants to spend less time with complex GPS software but enjoy the benefits of a beautiful on-screen map showing your position, tracks, and waypoints.

i picked up the delorme earthmate software today for my laptop.
i am getting to know it but so far i like it alot.

Ugh, isnt there anything for us Mac fanboys? :crybaby:

Will it work with an Intel Mac running... *cough* Windows?

Should work just fine as a VMWare machine.

I'm doing all sorts of crazy Oracle stuff with VMware on my mac - and it's never missed a beat.

USB connected devices can be passed through and used even if no mac drivers for the device exist.

While it will never be officially supported, I'm going to do some testing sometime in the next couple of weeks with Parallels, Fusion, and WINE.

While I'm bummed that it won't ever be supported, that's good news.

I appreciate the video, BTW. It really makes it easy for me to see it's simple interface (I like it). As I mentioned in another thread, if this ever gets able to do APRS stuff as well, I'm totally sold.

Dan

We've added Overland Navigator regional Map-packs covering the rest of the Western US to our webstore (http://spatialminds.com). Regional Map-packs include 1:250k, 1:100k, and 1:24k USGS Topos for a region.

We now have support for the following regional Map-packs available:
Washington
Oregon
California North
California Central
California South
Nevada
Arizona
Utah
Montana North
Montana South
Wyoming
Colorado
New Mexico
North Dakota
South Dakota
Nebraska
Kansas
Oklahoma
Texas
Mid-Atlantic Region (District of Columbia, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware).

Satellite Imagery Packs and US Wide Packs (1:250/1:100k only) packs are also available.

Additional Regional Map-Packs are on their way...

We are looking at a couple of different options for Canadian maps and will begin working on them once the US maps are complete (14 small East Coast states left).

Basic APRS support via NMEA0183 input/output will be included in the next version. I'll support both $WPL and $PKWDWPL sentences. The latter includes the APRS symbol, speed, bearing, etc of each heard station which will make for a more informative display.

In addition, I'm adding an NMEA0183 pass-through option. This will allow you to connect the GPS to the computer, and then pass the GPS info on to the TNC/Radio.

GPS ----(nmea0183)--->OVERLAND NAVIGATOR<----(nmea0183)---->TNC/Radio

I plan to initially test this functionality with the Tiny Tracker 4 and the built in APRS support found in the Kenwood D710 radios.

Craig

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom