Anyone using Overland Navigator software? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dude that is the inside of a Land Rover....... haha caught!
:grinpimp:

I just made a quick demo video of Overland Navigator. Hopefully you guys find it helpful. Please let us know if you have any questions or want to suggest features.

I've also uploaded a few photos to my album of some of our customer installs. They illustrate some of the various hardware options available. The new 7-10" UMPC tablets and Netbook computers running WindowsXP are ideal ($350-$1800). They are big enough to really show the maps, but small enough to not interfere with passenger comfort.

I personally use a sunlight visible semi-ruggedized UMPC on a RAM mount in my truck and love it (attached pictures).

So what's better this here Overland Navigator or the DeLorme package.....

DeLorme has been a map company for years, but now into GPS.

Ugh, isnt there anything for us Mac fanboys? :crybaby:

Will it work with an Intel Mac running... *cough* Windows?

I have a Mac iBook and got sick of looking for stuff for it, so I broke down and got a HP-Mini..... I hate it. The dang thing freezes, the curser doesn't respond properly when I 'click' something on the screen. What a POS. I only bought it because I wanted to run PGP encryption software and couldn't find a free download for MAC.

So I might actually put MAP software on it.... will it work properly? OMG the world will end if a MicroCrap product actually performs!
:wrench:

Dude that is the inside of a Land Rover....... haha caught!
:grinpimp:

LOL -- I'm not hiding it. There are more photos of the Land Rover on the testimonials page of my website. There are also several different Toyotas on that page.

In case it matters to anyone here, I've owned several Toyotas in the past and my wife drives one now. I also run the Northwest Overland Society website which is open to all makes/models. I'm considering a 70 series diesel for my next truck (haven't decided for sure yet). I like Toyotas... though I also like Land Rovers, Jeeps, Mercedes G-Wagens, Mitsubishi Pajeros, Pinzgauers, and a bunch of other makes/models. :D

I have a Mac iBook and got sick of looking for stuff for it, so I broke down and got a HP-Mini..... I hate it. The dang thing freezes, the curser doesn't respond properly when I 'click' something on the screen. What a POS. I only bought it because I wanted to run PGP encryption software and couldn't find a free download for MAC.

So I might actually put MAP software on it.... will it work properly? OMG the world will end if a Micro**** product actually performs!
:wrench:

I'm not familiar with the specific hardware you are describing. I have many customers running netbooks that are very happy with their setup. In general you'll want a 1.2Ghz processor or higher and 1gb of RAM. 4-5gb of free hard disk space per map-pack region.

Craig

We've just released map-packs for NY/NJ, PA, NC/SC, WI, and MI for sale through our webstore. Spatial Minds, LLC
The total list of map-packs that are available now includes:

Global - Satellite Imagery - Course scale only - This is not aerial photography
United States - 1:100k and 1:250k maps for the entire US. Does not include detailed 1:24k maps.

Detailed Map-packs: Include 1:250k, 1:100k, and detailed 1:24k USGS maps.
Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
California Central
California North
California South
Colorado
Georgia
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Michigan
Mid Atlantic Region (DC, VA, WV, MD, DE)
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana North
Montana South
Nebraska
Nevada
New Mexico
New York & New Jersey
North & South Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas North
Texas South
Utah
Washington
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Last edited:
So, from what I understand, here's the price breakdown:

$40 for the ON software and then $40 for each map. This could add up quick! Heck just for the California boys, you would be up to $160 ($40+$40+$40+$40+). Wow!! Alternative would be to buy the $100 U.S base map plus the $40 for ON software= $140.

Does this about sum it up?

Pretty close, except the US mapset doesn't include the 24k maps (1:100k and 1:250k only). The regional/state map-packs include 1:24k, 1:100k, and 1:250k maps.

I think if you compare Overland Navigator to other USGS 1:24k topo based products that you will find it competitively priced. For example, National Geographic Topo and Maptech Terrain Navigator Pro are each priced at $99.95/state vs our map-packs that range in price from $29.95-39.95.

I've split up all of the states into similarly sized chunks. So, the Mid-Atlantic Region contains several smaller states and California is broken into 3 regions. California maps are also at a higher resolution than other states which does up the price since I had to break it into 3 regions.

Edit: I just lowered the price of the CA map-packs to $34.95 ea.

Last edited:
Would the National Geographic Topo maps work with ON? The reason I ask is I already have all 50 states of the NG Topo maps.

I will be watching this thread. How is the D710 testing going? I have been looking for a product like this that is easier to use than others out there. Something plug and play would be perfect for me.

:clap::clap::clap:

So what's the latest?

I'd be interested in trying to get something working like this via PC or Mac laptop connected with my Yaesu 8900.

Sean,

Thanks for the interest. In addition to the Kenwood D710 we are testing with a Tiny Tracker 4. I believe the TT4 works with your radio, but haven't used this combination myself.

Both the Kenwood D710 and Tiny Tracker 4 integration is done via the NMEA0183 protocol and the $PKWDWPL or $GPWPL sentence types. This will enable overland navigator to display stations that are heard but does not enable full APRS functionality (e.g. messaging).

I see from your handle that you might be involved in SAR. We have also added support for UTM (WGS84) coordinate display in this version.

Northern Virginia is included the the Mid-Atlantic Region (MAR) map-pack.

Regards,
Craig

Where do I find the instructions on how to set this up with my D710? I will be placing an order in the next few days.

Thanks,

Sorry for the slow reply. I don't have email notifications on for this forum (maybe I should fix that).

The version of Overland Navigator with APRS was released last week. As an existing customer you should have received email notification. The User manual that includes instructions on how to set it up with a D710a is available via the support page on our website (Spatial Minds, LLC) or you can download it directly from ftp://ftp.spatialminds.com/UserGuide201.pdf

I don't want to say anymore, or post screenshots, because it appears that my mud sponsorship has lapsed. I need to contact woody and renew it first.

Thanks for the interest,
Craig

Got the update and have installed on my laptop but have not had a chance to connect it to the radio... Between work and field day I have not had a lot of time... Hope to have a chance to head south of the boarder and try it out soon.

Looks good, and settings options made changing some of the settings really easy when using Windows 7. Keep up the good work:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom