Ebay Safari Snorkel replica? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I want some feedback on this. I found a replica snorkel on Ebay. The pics look exactly like the actual Safari snorkel from ARB. They are advertised at $185 buy it now, and all you need to buy additional to make it functional is the rubber tube that connects to the air cleaner box and two aviator clamps. THE CATCH! I contacted the guy who makes them and he says they are made out of fiberglass instead of poly material. He says they are an exact mold of the actual thing just made with fiberglass. He says they work 100% the only thing is if you bump into a rock or tree they will crack, which of course would be a quick fix with some fiberglass and resin, but I just don't know. $185 sure sounds better than $400, but I just don't know if it is worth it. Here is the link: Toyota Landcruiser 80/Lexus LX450/Ninja 90-98 Snorkel:eBay Motors (item 280377632919 end time Oct-24-09 18:56:45 PDT)

Bootleg, You'll pay for what you get!! Save you some $$$ and get the real one.:)

The lack of an adapter from the snorkle to the air box is a major bummer as well.

Half the price for something that will hold up half as well and be twice as much work to install? Sounds about right to me. ;)

** Buyer Attention! The above snorkel did not comes with completed accessories, buyer need to purchase some extra accessories to complete the installation work (eg. clamps, hoses, air box adapter...)

** NO installation instruction provided

Although item made by quality material, its still CANNOT compete with the Branded snorkel made using polyethylene material

Fiberglass will not crack it will bust. its hard to repair it if you can't find all the pieces.

Snorkels are "Poser":flipoff2:

hahaha... I agree. I put one on my truck thinking it might breathe better and because it just looked so bad ass i had to have one. Now I'm torn between my likes for the look and the strange looks I get everywhere. Kind of annoying.

hahaha... I agree. I put one on my truck thinking it might breathe better and because it just looked so bad ass i had to have one. Now I'm torn between my likes for the look and the strange looks I get everywhere. Kind of annoying.

I always thought the same thing "poser" especially in SoCAL were we don't have any rivers to cross. However someone brought to my attention the effects of dust from following vehicles and benifit of having the snorkel high to avoid this. :hmm: After this idea and a mojave road trip with 100 plus miles of following someone on dusty powder roads I decided to check my air cleaner. It is not Toyota but still seemed fairly clean but the tuna can on the bottom of the air cleaner box was completly full. Not sure if there is a moral to the story. But I bet if I had an oem filter in I could just blow it out since they are supposed to be serviceable and be on my way at no cost. Seems much cheaper than a $400 item that looks cool.

I quess I am screwed when global warming hits and socal starts getting rain, but I bet I would have bigger problems with water getting into the ingnition system, floors and black boxes before I got water in the intake.

Just my thoughts what say you mud?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom