alternative tire placement for those who removed them from down under (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In my last land cruiser I just layed it flat in the cargo area and strapped it down and was ok with it. This time around I did some more thinking and tried to come up with something that allowed more room for groceries and stuff in general. I was going to throw it on top but didnt feel safe with the factory roof rack holding it down on the highway. plus the sun would eat it alive. what I ended up with is VERY,VERY sturdy. I used two 500 lb ratchet straps and just stood it up. does not have any side side or front to back movement. Now I can place things on both side as well as behind the tire. Not anything to crazy but it gives you the ground clearance you need in the rear and doesnt take up to much from the cargo area and is safely secured. and yes I know I need to clean the carpet. :hillbilly:
DSC01541.jpg

DSC01542.jpg

DSC01543.jpg

DSC01544.jpg

DSC01545.jpg

DSC01546.jpg

DSC01547.jpg

ICU ,that is a great idea...like how you did that!

Scott

That is the cheapest and least labor intesive way yet. I really like it! NIce job!

"Lots" of room!:rolleyes:

Hard to tell from the pics, but those straps seems a little thin. It may feel nice and secure under static conditions, but in a collision, dynamic forces are many, many, many times higher.

Although I commend your ingenuity, I would seriously rethink this. I wouldn't want that thing to come loose in a front end collision :eek:

Mine also rides vertically in the back, held by ratchet straps, but over on the left side. The ratchet straps go from the floor 3rd row seat anchors to the fender well bracket.

mine lives behind the third row, 285 barly fits but it does, looped to the two tie downs that i have back there in the floor... the third row seat is the dog seat for the two dogs. kids get middle parents front...

I think those straps will get worn through unless cushioned with something strong like leather or canvas. On a long drive, even on the highway, that tire will still be doing an up and down regardless that you cannot see or hear it.

I second the observation that the straps may not be thick enough. What's the load capacity of those straps ?

Kalawang

TWO 500 pound straps isn't enough? Even if one gets worn through, the tire will fall over and still be tethered by the other strap. You guys are a bit pessimistic, methinks.

-Spike

285/75-16 REVO (54 lbs) + OEM alloy (21 lbs) = 75 lbs = 34 kg

If a collision takes about a second (for easy math) and you were going 55 mph (~25 m/s), you would end up with a force of about 852 N (about the equivalent of 192 lbs) hurtling the tire forward. If you're going 70, it jumps to 1064 N (about 240 lbs). Somebody check my math. I thought it would have been higher than that.

the straps are rated at 500 lbs of working load and a burst strength of 1250. Thanks for the saftey concerns fellas but it works for me. I checked the surface on the wheel and there is not rough edge anywhere for it to rub down on. I did that before I even strapped it down just for that fact. I didnt want them to get eaten up for no reason. The wheel is smooth on both sides and doent seem to be an issue.

I have mine mounted on the the side. I put my straps over the tire itself to prevent it from rubbing. Despite having the straps very tight, the tire now moves slightly (I can hear it rub the seat). It took a couple of weeks for it to move a tiny bit, but it does shift now.

I'd imagine that the rim will eventually fray through the straps, but it will take a long time.

Personally I'd throw a piece of cloth/cardboard/rubber/whatever in there to prevent exactly that.

The straps that I'm using are rated 500lb working, 1500 breaking, I'm comfortable with them. They do wear, the tire slightly moves and will mar, wear the finish on the wheel (I tend to knock it off much faster by rubbing them on rock)!:hillbilly: Where the straps touch the wheel I use a folded shop towel, greatly increases strap life. Most of the time when in town the spare is in the shop, only load it for trips, trail runs.
spare.jpg

Just a headsup...I have tried my spare in the same location strapped against the side but the strap was connected to the "oh-sh*t" handle at the top. It pulled the spare tire against the window enough that by the end of the day it had started to push the window out of the body. Noticed it soon enough to change how it was secured before the window fell out and broke.

Man I gotta tell you that this looks dangerous at best. I like the idea but with the straps contacting metal you have an accident waiting to happen. I was in the US Air Force for 8 years and had to tie down many things onboard our aircraft. The one thing you learned really quick was the proper way to tie down everything from small stuff to helicopters and tanks so that when you landed, they didn't break loose and crash everything else.

You can do this but it needs to be done where the hooks on the straps contact the metal on the rim, not the strap. Believe me, it takes very little movement from that tire to cut the strap. And you won't realize it until you brake real hard or go over a good bump and then you get a tire in the front seat with you........ I'd put two more straps on it and enjoy.

hey Tools R us could you post some pics of how you mounted it on the back side? i would much rather have it over to one side but couldnt figure out a way. my grand cherokee has it mounted on the drivers side standing up.

if I were to ponder a guess, I'd say that he has it strapped to the 3rd row seat anchor. based on the fact that he still has the seatbelts back there, I'd guess the seat anchors are there too.

based on your pics, it looks like either you or the PO removed the anchor for the 3rd row seats.

I suppose you could install an anchor point or two using the old mount locations.

My wife rolled our TJ in a 45 mph slide off the road in the winter. The spare was held down by two simillar looking straps in the cargo area.

They did not hold....

She was ok.... but I will not do that ever again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom