For those who dropped to one Cat…… (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

devo

SILVER Star
Threads
I had to replace my cats on my 1997 so I went with the Magna Flow one Cat easy bolt on. Assembly was no issue and running with one Cat isn’t bothering any of the engine management systems. I thought it to be an okay idea!
But, now after a few months I have noticed way more heat being produced and the passenger floor much more hot than with the 2 OEM Cats.

So my question is; for those that dropped down to one Cat do you have noticeably more heat being produced?

devo

Are all the heat shields still in place? These are between the cat(s) and the floor board.

everything is in place. The forward Cat is in the correct location. The thing just gets hot? Fuel trim is within specs, I’m not running rich. The Cat was scoped by an exhaust shop and there is no obstruction to flow or any obvious abnormalities.

Your factory cats had a heat shield bolted around them. I don’t know if they fit around the magnaflow cat. My guess is they are missing causing the extra heat in the cab.

I had to replace my cats on my 1997 so I went with the Magna Flow one Cat easy bolt on. Assembly was no issue and running with one Cat isn’t bothering any of the engine management systems. I thought it to be an okay idea!
But, now after a few months I have noticed way more heat being produced and the passenger floor much more hot than with the 2 OEM Cats.

So my question is; for those that dropped down to one Cat do you have noticeably more heat being produced?

devo
Yes, I went from 2 cats to the Magnaflow downpipe with 1 cat on my 97- seems hotter after single cat. I still have the heat shield in place, as well. What ST and LT fuel trim readings are you seeing at idle and on the highway?

I realize that cat is in a different position, flat side up that could shed more heat than OEM. Again this cat seams unusually hot. Not to the point of red hot and there is no obstruction to flow. Fuel trims were checked years ago and were in spec. I’ll look into checking them again. Interestingly this pipe to cat has no manufacturer markings on it? It is not a Magnaflow after checking it with Magnaflow. Who ever put it on could have use some cheap off brand? I’ve looked and cannot find another manufacturer of down pipe and cat. The fit length wise is good. Maybe the Y is closer to the firewall and the cat is closer to the floor than OEM?

I realize that cat is in a different position, flat side up that could shed more heat than OEM. Again this cat seams unusually hot. Not to the point of red hot and there is no obstruction to flow. Fuel trims were checked years ago and were in spec. I’ll look into checking them again. Interestingly this pipe to cat has no manufacturer markings on it? It is not a Magnaflow after checking it with Magnaflow. Who ever put it on could have use some cheap off brand? I’ve looked and cannot find another manufacturer of down pipe and cat. The fit length wise is good. Maybe the Y is closer to the firewall and the cat is closer to the floor than OEM?
I don’t think my Magnaflow has any brand markings on it aside from the box, but it’s been a couple years since I installed mine.

Magnaflow told me that there would be a series of numbers stamped into the bottom of the cat? I have none!

@Indiana80 , how did you check your fuel trims?
Checked fuel trims with an Ultragauge. Simple plug-in device that displays a vehicles engine temp, RPMs, etc. not sure how accurate it is for fuel trim readings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom