squeaks from down under? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 80 has brand new OEM shocks and front springs. The hangers for the exhaust have been checked and are fine. Yet, there is still a squeaking that comes from underneath that sounds like metal on metal - i can't tell which side it's on and I know it's an old truck and will never be quiet, but it would be nice to figure out what needs attention if it's not the suspension or exhaust, what is the next likely source? hard to diagnose because it only makes noise when driving...

Firstly, your Land Cruiser can absolutely be quiet. What year is your 80? Your signature says 1995. This is always pertinent info. When did the squeak start, before or after new springs and shocks?

it's a 95, yes same as my signiture. the squeak has been around for a while, since before the new shocks and springs. I really thought it was the exhaust but a very good local muffler shop said everything down there is fine.

Next up is inspecting all suspension bushings and if good then verifying torque on every nut and bolt you can access.

Coil springs can make noise too.

make sure the shock bushing washers are seated correctly. They have a raised lip that centres them in the chassis mounts and if not installed and torqued correctly will make noises

Had a squeak that 'sounds' just like your case.
It was the chassis-end front control arm bushings, ds IIRC.
And +1 the 80 can be totally quiet.

it was the shock cushions and retainers which were somehow in a non-noisy state with the old shocks and when they installed the fresh ones, even reusing them, got them into a noisy state -- less than $100 in parts to do both sides of the rear and now it's quiet as a quiet mouse... Lesson is if you are doing anything, just go ahead and replace all the little stuff that is nearby or connected to be safe, otherwise you do the labor twice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom