85 Axle SAS into my 89 Runner Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a 85 axle housing to swap into my 89 4Runner can I use any 3rd member out of a front or rear axle from that time frame? And what is the difference between say an 82 front axle and an 85 front axle? Thanks in advance...

Yes you can use any 8" 3rd member from 79-95 to fit your axles. They are interchangeable from front to rear. You cannot use the 7.5" IFS member anywhere. You can also use an FJ80 Landcruiser High Pinion 3rd member in the front axle but but they are hard to find used. The best Toyota 8" 3rds to use are from the v6 or Turbo trucks, they are a bit stronger. Here is a good website on Toyota 3rd members

Erik's Toyota Differential info

The only difference between an 82 axle and an 85 is the truss on the bottom of the axle goes all the way to the knuckle on the 85 axle and it does not on the 82. That's why the 85 is the more desirable one.

The front housing does need to be clearanced slightly to accept the hipinion front differentials, but otherwise they are all interchangeable. very smart move on toyotas part.

I thought the Cruiser rotors were the same from 81 on? I just did a complete rebuild on my 85 and used Cruiser Rotors (not sure what year) and IFS calipers. Everything bolted together fine and spins fine. I'm still working on the suspension, so it hasn't been driven yet, so not sure yet if it stops fine or not.

The front housing does need to be clearanced slightly to accept the hipinion front differentials, but otherwise they are all interchangeable. very smart move on toyotas part.

Is this true even if the high pinion third is open -- not an e-locker type?
If can you point me in the direction of some instructions?

Thanks,

I fit my high pinion in with an ARB and I had to do some manipulating but I didn't have to clearence anything.

It may have been easier to take a mm or 2 out of the top and bottom the the mountng ring on the axle becaue its kind of heavy to to jockey back and fourth into place.

I thought the Cruiser rotors were the same from 81 on? I just did a complete rebuild on my 85 and used Cruiser Rotors (not sure what year) and IFS calipers. Everything bolted together fine and spins fine. I'm still working on the suspension, so it hasn't been driven yet, so not sure yet if it stops fine or not.

That could be true, I know that with 79-81 if can be a problem, it's just as easy to ask for 81 rotors as 85, so you may as well get the same year.... :D

ok, so what is the best setup for a toy front axle to be sas'd? gears are optional, brake rotors,calipers, axles or birf eliminator,spacers or ifs setup

See my truck, I am changing to a hp diff as soon as my paycheck lets me...

Ifs brakes, hp diff... crossover stearing... longs... the lot... :D

ok, so what is the best setup for a toy front axle to be sas'd? gears are optional, brake rotors,calipers, axles or birf eliminator,spacers or ifs setup

Well the best way to do it is to get a kit. Marlin Crawler, All Pro and Trail Gear all make kits. The most complete and cheapest kit is from Trail Gear but they use all Chinese stuff so the wheel bearings and Brake Roters they use are junk. Otherwise all you need to supply is the axle. Marlin's and All Pro's Kits don't include the bearings or roters and are a bit more expensive. I would Use Factory Toyota bearings and Roters anyway. Mine is an All Pro Off Road kit and I have been really happy with it. I know their techs are alway willing to help you with questions about the swap. It all depends on your budget. TG's is $1100 and the others are a couple hundred more and you will spend $200 or so on Factory bearings and Roters for the axle.

If you want to upgrade the axles and birfields go with Bobby Longs Longfields and Cromoly axles. They are the hot setup. The above kits will upgrade the older solid axle with vented brake roters and re-use your IFS 4 piston calipers. It will also upgrade you to Hi-steer cross over steering using FJ80 Landcruiser Tie Rod ends.

Here is a link to my Solid Axle Swap. It was done in 2001.

1989 Pickup SAS and Bed Bob - TTORA Forum

Last edited:
Here are two different shots of my front axle with a sas kit from Trail Gear.

A shot of the front with hanger moved forword 7/8"
img02492co6.jpg

Back shot of the front axle
img0247kj7.jpg

Six stud knucle,creeper gusset and the standerd vented rotor from an ifs truck
img02502wt1.jpg

I hpoe these pics help out

I just bought a 85 axle housing to swap into my 89 4Runner can I use any 3rd member out of a front or rear axle from that time frame? And what is the difference between say an 82 front axle and an 85 front axle? Thanks in advance...

If you are not regearing, then I would just buy a rear 8" third, cheap, and put it into the front. If you want to buy a V6 8" third, then I would put that into the rear and throw your rear into your new front.

If you have to regear, then you might consider a TRD elocker. You can buy them (Inchworm or Marlin or Toyota dealer) for around $900 and they come factory set-up in 4.10, 4.30 and 4.56. I need to regear to 4.56 and I'm going to put two of these in. It's cheaper than regearing and installing a Detroit and it's a lot cheaper than an ARB.

You do have to modify the axles but it isn't bad. You also have to do some wiring to make them work but that isn't too bad either.

Just a thought....

The down fall to doing a standard rotation in the of the truck when doing a sas is your driveline angle.Even Marlin recommends doing a hi pinion in the front for better drivline angle even with dual cases other wise you will need to spend some big dollars on a hi angle drivelive.Thats just my opinion on it.

The down fall to doing a standard rotation in the of the truck when doing a sas is your driveline angle.Even Marlin recommends doing a hi pinion in the front for better drivline angle even with dual cases other wise you will need to spend some big dollars on a hi angle drivelive.Thats just my opinion on it.

I've spoken to the folks at Marlin and Inchworm about that issue as I was seriously considering going Hi-pinion in the front. Driveline angle is not a problem with a low-pinion front carrier until you get above 4" or so. Therefore, depends on how high he's going. Neither Marlin or Inchworm had any concerns about strength of running a low-pinion carrier up front. Even though it's not as strong as the hi-pinion in forward, it's stronger in reverse and that's when hi-pinions have been known to break......but I don't want to start a whole "which is stronger" thread as that's been done many, many times already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom